Anyone else tried to set the s300 wireless/cableless?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
oscarmayer

Anyone else tried to set the s300 wireless/cableless?

Post by oscarmayer »

I'm toying with the idea of being able to set the S300 into a cableless enviroment and even be able to monitor the car track side while making runs. Has anyone else done this before?
Got Boost?

OscarMayer
deafy

Post by deafy »

That'd be pretty nice... are you thinkin Bluetooth?
oscarmayer

Post by oscarmayer »

eitehr secure bluetooth or usb converted wireless. not wireless networking, but just cabless connection.
Got Boost?

OscarMayer
Tigerbyte

Post by Tigerbyte »

http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/release ... eeUSB.html

Something like that might work but i doubt it will have the range for trackside. nor will bluetooth.
?We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another.?
civicbynature

Post by civicbynature »

Hey oscarmayer, If you attempt this i would love to hear some follow up. Surely there are other people who would be interested in this. Most small devices such as that run on 12v anyways.
GredonRacing

Bringing back this post!

Post by GredonRacing »

Just wanna know If anyone has tried to make Hondata wireless to their labtop/computer without a cable?
crucian

Re: Bringing back this post!

Post by crucian »

GredonRacing wrote:Just wanna know If anyone has tried to make Hondata wireless to their labtop/computer without a cable?
Isn't that the topic of this discussion?
GredonRacing

Re: Bringing back this post!

Post by GredonRacing »

crucian wrote:
GredonRacing wrote:Just wanna know If anyone has tried to make Hondata wireless to their labtop/computer without a cable?
Isn't that the topic of this discussion?
Yeah I know I was asking if anyone was able to do it and if so what they do to get this to work.
shiroitenshi

Post by shiroitenshi »

I have, but only with bluetooth, so distance is limited. And as fun as it was, it has no practical applications I can think of.

In this case, I did it with a laptop with a bluetooth unit.

I used a K750i phone as a remote commander, with a custom .hid profile so that the keys are mapped to the hotkeys of SManager.

You can do it so that you can engage datalogging without installing a switch, by using the handphone key to start datalogging on the laptop.

But like I said, not much in terms of practical applications, except the fact that I can use the handphone like a handheld hondata control unit, so I don't need to use the Ctrl-I, Ctrl-D hotkeys, rather I map keys like 5 = datalog on, key 1 = add fuel/ignition by one step, key 4 reduce fuel/igntion by one step (depending on what maps I'm in), etc.

It's pretty handy, but it adds a bit of complexity.. I STILL need a laptop. (>_>)
And I can't map one button to flip through the ignition and fuel maps, because hondata has 4 different shortcut keys for each of them.

Simple and I think most know how to do it, if they google it up,

I can post a short tutorial on how I did it (with pictures), if anyone is interested.

As for trackside tuning, I think it's doable, but there's quite a lot of equipment required.

1) carPC or equivalent, connected to a powered antenna to increase the transmission distance, running some form of remote control software (Remote assistance, anyone?)

There's better software out there, but for purposes of illustrating how it's possible (For testing purposes use the WinXP Remote Assistance, you can purchase better remote control software as you see fit), you can read it here.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... intro.mspx

I think one of the Wi-fi mags had an article where they boosted the internal laptop wifi antenna for further range. I forget how much range though, so maybe someone else can google it up.

2) trackside computer, connected via the same network through wi-fi to the pc in car, and running remote assistance, so the trackside computer can see the screen of the pc in the car.

Well, adding more weight to a track car I think is never a high point in anyone's to do list, so I doubt it's practicality.

The Innovate LM-1+Auxbox is a better choice for telemetry (with it's G sensors, MAP/IAT/etc depending on what channels you tap in or find useful), though you still need a carPC/laptop with wifi in the car in order to read them trackside. They do have bluetooth connectivity kits, but I wonder how practicality figures in their calculations.

Bluetooth is like only 100m's (AT BEST) so that's out of the question.. I did try LM-1 with Auxbox with bluetooth, but the range is too short to be of any use, apart from reducing cable clutter.

The bluetooth kit:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/bt.php <-- cable-less kit for Innovate stuff.

Nice, but I doubt you will find it useful as trackside telemetry tool.
civicbynature

Post by civicbynature »

Glad to see someone is putting some serious interest into this. I think your on the right path tho.

Using the remote connection in xp is a good idea i didn't think of that. As far as track side going thats a real possibility. Due to the capabilities of the newer N-band routers. it could be done in a nice wide open space. If your using a carpc like I am. tho i haven't tried the N-band yet. G-band still gives me a good 1000 foot range. I believe further range could be achieved this is just the furthest i've tried.

This is Using a G-band Pci card in my carpc with an external antenna. Road side in other car I'm using a inverter for power. and a linksys router plus a laptop. I used this router cause there are some firmware (we'll call 'em upgrades)(try google) That lets you turn the transmitted power up to it's full capacity. that and an optional larger antenna that can be bought. Truly makes this dream possible in a full scale application. The only problems i foresee is that tho the router can now transmit further, I fear the output range of the pci card may still be limited. Anyone have any thoughts how to rectify this? I'm all ears.
civic_si

Post by civic_si »

I would use Remote desktop over remote assistance. I have not tried doing this but it sounds easier.

I can post some instructions on hoe to set it up if anybody needs it.
optix

Post by optix »

Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but I've done this myself.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/us4a/
Use that with a wireless bridge device and you'd be golden.

What I'd do is use a wireless bridge along with this, without cases, and an external antenna mounted on the inside of a window. This way there's no running the laptop back out to the car after runs. I'm sure there are more elegant sollutions, but this is all with stuff I've got on hand. I'll take some pictures when I throw it back in the car this weekend, if the weather is good.

All together, the whole setup probably weighs an extra 1 pound or so.