car stalls/rpms fluctuate the moment I put it into gear

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
user1029

car stalls/rpms fluctuate the moment I put it into gear

Post by user1029 »

99 Honda Prelude, JRSC@9psi, 550cc Injectors, P28ECU+ Hondata S300, tuned, running without a hitch for 1.5 years until today

The car idles in neutral normally but when I depress and hold the clutch down and slide the shift lever into first gear or any gear for that matter, the rpms would behave erratically and I would eventually stall out. Here is a video that better illustrates what I'm talking about:

http://72.232.195.42/~user102/MOV01607.MPG

I started capturing while the car is in neutral. The first dip in rpms comes as I slide the shift lever into first and as you can see the rpms return to normal as I go back into neutral. Keep in mind that I'm not letting out the clutch at all nor am I giving the car any gas; I'm just holding the clutch down and moving the shifter into and out of gear. The car hasn't shown any previous symptoms indicative of a bad clutch/cylinders such as not being able to get into gear or slippage.

What could be the cause of this problem? The mere movement of the shift lever into gear registers as rpm fluctuation. Could it be the Hondata?

Thanks a lot guys :D

deafy

Post by deafy »

is it a tad bit harder to get it in gear or does the clutch feel different in any way?

Oh, and how much power you putting down? come show off your car on preludepower.com. My member name is deafy on there as well.
1997 Prelude - under the knife.
2000 Insight - k20z3 swap, pt6262, e85. 508whp@19psi.

user1029

Post by user1029 »

deafy wrote:is it a tad bit harder to get it in gear or does the clutch feel different in any way?

Oh, and how much power you putting down? come show off your car on preludepower.com. My member name is deafy on there as well.
It goes into gear smoothly and the clutch feels absolutely normal. I've been on Preludeonline.com (NoRice4u) since 2002 with plenty of post whoring to show for it lol...the car is putting down 270whp and 200ft/lbs; the water injection let me push the timing a little further ;)

Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It's either a problem with the clutch master/slave cylinder, clutch itself, transmission, or thrust bearings.

deafy

Post by deafy »

Spunkster wrote:It's either a problem with the clutch master/slave cylinder, clutch itself, transmission, or thrust bearings.
same thing i was thinking. props to your setup and curious how you have your water/meth set up, controlled by hondata or what? I've been unable to log in preludeonline, seems I never got my confirmation.
1997 Prelude - under the knife.
2000 Insight - k20z3 swap, pt6262, e85. 508whp@19psi.

user1029

Post by user1029 »

deafy wrote:
Spunkster wrote:It's either a problem with the clutch master/slave cylinder, clutch itself, transmission, or thrust bearings.
same thing i was thinking. props to your setup and curious how you have your water/meth set up, controlled by hondata or what? I've been unable to log in preludeonline, seems I never got my confirmation.
thanks for the responses! The transmission was what I was afraid of :(

The water injection activates at 4psi (boost switch that comes with the coolingmist injection kit) and sprays into the intake. I made sure to place the nozzle as far away as I could from the blower and aimed the nozzle towards the air flow to help with atomization.