Datalogging Randomly Dies

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Eye Heart Boost

Datalogging Randomly Dies

Post by Eye Heart Boost »

Hi all! Out of nowhere, my datalogging randomly has been shutting off. It only does it at higher RPM's, though. Almost seems like something is coming loose, or something along those lines. When I pull the USB cable and plug it back in, it's fine again. I haven't had a chance to try using a different laptop just yet, as I've been getting ready for a race tomorrow. I figured I'd just toss this out there and see if anyone's experienced the same? I checked, double checked, then triple checked all my grounds. Everything is nice and snug. The ECU checked out to be working just fine on another car upon loading their map to the ECU. Oh, and when I try to download the map off the ECU, SMan FREAKS out and starts spitting an error, at which point I have to kill the process in task manager. (Bad USB driver? Bad USB cable? Bad Hondata output port?)

A couple of times, the car would just die on me in 4th gear, and come back to life after tapping the throttle a couple of times - CEL would pop on, then when the car comes back to life, it would go away. No datalogs, as it's acting up on me obviously. :(

Also, anti-lag is hit-and-miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to stop working when the car gets warm, somewhere around 195-200*. My slimfan is kind of gimpy, so I've decided to run pure water + water wetter, hopefully that helps keep the car cooler (runs best around 180*). I heard the Hondata temp. compensation is kind of gimpy - any truth behind this?

- 2000 Civic Si, LS/VTEC, boosted, GM 3bar, RC1000 Inj's, E85, 5,280 ft. elevation, PLX-M300
- P28/Hondata S300/Boomslang harness

This map IS dynotuned, other than part throttle which is gimpingly street tuned for now. Oh, and another thing... how in the world do I get auto-tune to work? I was trying to figure out how to turn it on to have it auto-tune my part-throttle, but I couldn't find any way to turn it on.

Thanks a bunch, all.
Attachments
anti_lag_working_175deg2.skl
(32.83 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Matt
'00 Civic Si - 10.912@132, 1.7 60' open dif., 22" slicks
Eye Heart Boost

By the way, just saw there was an SManager update available, so I updated that and updated the USB drivers just in case. I can't test it right now as it's a bit late to rip down the street in a racecar, lol.

The firmware update alone seems to have the car idling much smoother, and I am now able to download the calibration directly from the ECU. Progress. :)

I'll update ya'll tomorrow.
Matt
Eye Heart Boost

Said screw it and took it for a quick spin. Datalogging is still randomly shutting off, and my other laptop is messing up on me so I can't tell if it's just the laptop.

One random question - anyone have any ideas why the Firmware Upgrade option is grayed out on my SManager?
Matt
Eye Heart Boost

Attached is a datalog from when it shut off. Hit redline, then bam. Done. I can't help but think this is a hardware issue with the laptop. Hmmm.
Attachments
shutoff2.s3d
(831.09 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Matt
Eye Heart Boost

http://hondata.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5226

Just saw that, I'm a noob. Please don't rip me too hard. :lol:

http://www.jegs.com/i/NGK%20Spark%20Plu ... 8/10002/-1

That's the plug I'm running, which is non-resistor. Fuck me. I have NO idea which plug I should run. I put down 475hp/370tq @ 16 psi, any suggestions on a plug that can be picked up locally? By the way, my dizzy cap is stock.

*EDIT* I just keep answering my own questions! :)

http://hondata.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6670

Yikes, kinda' pricey.
Matt
hybridcivicls-t

Post by hybridcivicls-t »

NGK Plugs, BCPR7ES------order them from O'rielly's
Eye Heart Boost

Thanks, but I need an 8 series plug.

Update:
When this issue happens, and the car dies, when it comes back to life, part throttle is GARBAGE. If I flip off the ignition, then back on, part throttle is fine again. Tested this using another buddy's ECU, same thing, so I know it's not my ECU. :( Any suggestions would be great. Ran a personal best tonight of 11.075 @ 127. Soooooo close to my 10 second goal! Car bogged on me during that pass, and alty belt snapped, only 1.8 60' when I normally cut 1.6's. DAMMIT! heh.

Still took home 3rd place in our head's up class tonight though, with the car limping. Just goes to show, everyone else can have issues just as easily as I can. :)

Thanks for any help you all provide.
Matt
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

that's odd. I have the same problem too when I rev my car to close to redline. What is causing this problem? thanks for the info.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You need to use resistor spark plugs.
Eye Heart Boost

I'll definitely be giving that a try first and foremost. :) Just ordered a set from the parts store, should be here tomorrow morning.
Matt
V-Spec race development

Post by V-Spec race development »

Spunkster wrote:You need to use resistor spark plugs.
i'm using ngk bkr6e-11. I thought this plugs are a resistor type. so why i'm still having issues?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It can be your cap, plug wires, coil. Anything non OEM in the ignition system can cause a problem.
Eye Heart Boost

Well, great news folks. So far, so good! Just picked up the BKR8EIX #8 Stock# 2668, ordered them from the local parts store. $30.22 with tax. Everything is working perfectly thus far - datalogging stays running, no more missing, etc. Everything is.... perfect. :D Oh how I missed my car running like this!

Here's a question for you Hondata programmers. I was using my old style non-resistor plug before, and never had this issue. Any idea why it would have randomly started out of nowhere? Thanks again!

Matt
Matt
Eye Heart Boost

Yeah, well... the issue is still happening. Even with the suggested plugs. No clue what to check next. :(
Matt
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Plug wires and cap, if they are not OEM, they can also cause issues.