SManager Disconnecting

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
VT-Doo

SManager Disconnecting

Post by VT-Doo »

I'm running the latest version of SManager which i downloaded last month.
After downloading I noticed that sometimes SManager would disconnect while datalogging.
This only happened sometimes but today on my way to work it wouldn't stay connected for more than a few minutes at a time.
I've tried using all the USB connections available on my laptop with avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Remove and clean the main engine ground on the thermostat housing. Alco check the ground strap to the valve cover and transmission.
Hondata
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

That seems like a weird one, will do though. Thanks.

Ian
boostedpumpkin

Post by boostedpumpkin »

Ian,

did checking your grounds fix the problem? i had the same exact one while tuning. running newest version installed about a month ago.
thanks

john
y7/z6 head
garrett .42/.48
10psi
s300
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

Just got around to doing this yesterday. Afterwards it connected no problem but this morning I had a little trouble. I tried a different USB port to my usual one I use and it seemed to work. I'll report back if I have any more bother.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

More than likely it is a problem with your igniton system. You must have resistor plugs, cap with built in resistor (OEM recommended), OEM plug wires (we have seeen problems with aftermarket ones) and an OEM distributor and coil.
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

The only non-oem parts are the ignition leads. The plugs are standard except a stage colder. The distributor is a standard pattern part.

I'm not convinced it's even the car that's causing the problem.
At the moment I can get SManager to connect to the ECU no problem, but sometimes after 10minutes running the SManager will hang.

If I click anywhere on SManager "Not Responding" appears at the top of the window. If it doesn't sort itself out after a few minutes I have to unplug the USB from the laptop and reconnect it again. After this it connects again no problem.

Now, could it be a problem with the laptop. I really hate Vista!

On a side note, does Hondata support Windows 7 yet?
GTMcoupe

Post by GTMcoupe »

VT-Doo wrote:Just got around to doing this yesterday. Afterwards it connected no problem but this morning I had a little trouble. I tried a different USB port to my usual one I use and it seemed to work. I'll report back if I have any more bother.
I have had in the past when i change ports it causes issues, i always use the port which was used upon the first hondata install.

A current issue I have found is I have started using my plx logger more reccently. The PLX is installed on another usb port, but I can not have the plx plugged in at the same time as I have the hondata open, it will cause hondata to not respond. and if i have both the plx logger and hondat open the laptop really gets confused.

West
Its Small, Its Red, Its Mid engined, It has a B18 fitted, 250hp+per tonne + nitrous
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

This actually sounds exactly like a problem from interference from the ignition system. Try rplacing the spark plug wires with OEM ones.
Last edited by Spunkster on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

It gets better... :?

I installed SManager 1.4.3 BETA to see if it made a difference.
My LC-1 wouldn't connect properly, and would surge from max to min a/f ratios. The ECU is in closed loop with max/min % set to 10 and -10.

According to SManager S.Term stayed at +10 for most of my journy home while the L.Term stayed at 0. It's usually between -5 and 5%.

I took it easy, but the running of the car didn't seem to change at all.

Also, when i installed 1.4.3 the USB (the one I couldnt connect to earlier) didn't recognise the USB cable so had to use another.

I won't be able to get another set of leads till Friday but I will try it out.
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

Just went out to the car just now.
Reinstalled 1.4.2 and the LC-1 now works as it should.

But the USB issue is still there.

If I remember correctly I never had any issues until I installed 1.4.2 last month.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The version of software will not affect how USB works. It sounds like you have had an interference issue for some time. This over time could cause damage. Try the ECU in a known good car.
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

That doesn't sound good :(
The car is my daily driver and I need to use it every day for work.
I don't know of another car I could try the ecu in :(

What kind of interference are we talking?
And I assume your money is on the ignition leads being the source?
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

The spark plugs I am using are NGK BKR7E-11, and the ignition leads are Magnecor, reds. The engine has done 4k miles and at the time of rebuild I replaced the distributor with a pattern TD44.

Like I said though, I’ll try oem leads this Friday. Could the leads really be the problem?
Ian

Morris Mini (B18C-R)
Honda Civic Type R (FD2)
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

By chance I think I've found my problem.
When disconnecting the USB from the laptop I noticed that the laptop was resorting to battery power (even although it was plugged into the car).

Unplugged the power supply and it seems to be running fine.
Datalogged for my entire journey (30min) where as yesterday i was lucky to get 15second.
Ian

Morris Mini (B18C-R)
Honda Civic Type R (FD2)
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)