Is tuning necissary?

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
StrangerWitcandy

Is tuning necissary?

Post by StrangerWitcandy »

i want to get hondata, but im also planning on boosting in the near future, im wondering if i can just get a pre-burned rom for my application (B18C w/ p28 ECU and bolt ons) to run on for now, with no tuning and then get it tuned with my turbo setup once it all comes together? i would just wait till i turbo to get hondata at all, but right now im running a POS chip in the p28 which i want to get rid of ASAP :P thanks for any help
t2000si

Post by t2000si »

I'm pretty new to this, I just installed my s200 for the JRSC. It came with a base map which is ok. It is better and worse than my previous setup. Anyway YES I would recommend tunning to match your bolt ons. I'm not sure but I think the base maps are done on stock motors. I could be wrong, its just my opinon.
StrangerWitcandy

ive heard that hondata will suply base maps done on motors with bolt ons, but this may just be hearsay, does anyone know for sure?
Tegboy420

Post by Tegboy420 »

A motor with boltons is probably going to run just fine on a basemap designed for a stock motor. Does this mean you should treat it like it was tuned for your specific setup? No, getting your maps tuned using a wb02 is the only way to be safe.
You should be fine if you drive around on a basemap as long as you take it easy, and keep in mind that you are UNTUNED.
DaX

Post by DaX »

Your dealer / tuner should be able to supply you with a base map that is similar to your setup. While this is only designed to get you to the tuner, it may be safe to drive on it for a short while, just being careful to stay out of boost as much as possible.
StrangerWitcandy

im NOT running boost untuned, i want to run my NA motor w/ bolt-ons (like CAI, Skunk2 IM, ACT clutch, thermal R&D cat-back etc...) w/ just a base map because ive heard hondata base maps are pretty good just by themselves
fox30

Post by fox30 »

heheee thats like saying "is toilet paper necessary?"
96 GSR / B18C1 Built / AEBS T-Sleeves /~~/
No stickers / no nice rims / 10.4 seconds
other hobbies: PC gaming, Half-Life, Linux Administration, MotocrossKX250, kissing big tities
fox30

Post by fox30 »

Base maps only come close to your setup. You must tune to your best perf from a base map. I wouldnt drive around on a base unless your tuning it with a wideband 02, you might have some lean spots.

I did exactly what your doing at first..And in the end I would have been better off with Hondata long before the turbo kit.
I would actually recommend Hondata even before you put the first upgrade to your motor (like, exhaust or cold air intake). Hondata will allow you to tune your engine to adapt with each of your small upgrades. I had an Apexi AFC that made a difference with my exhaust and cold air intake. Big difference, but hondata could have done exactly the same if not better and more. I bought a turbo kit and the workarounds they give you are a complete waste, like the FMU for instance, thats a joke. the Apexi AFC could not keep up the ecu kept calibrating to the apexis setting resulting in equaling it out back to stock, leaving me with detonation in the end every restart. I ripped it all out and swapped it with a Hondata and everything was real nice. better idle I can boost more often without shiting my pants over the fear of detonation. Hondata is only as good as the one who tunes it! Believe me, there are many who are not.
96 GSR / B18C1 Built / AEBS T-Sleeves /~~/
No stickers / no nice rims / 10.4 seconds
other hobbies: PC gaming, Half-Life, Linux Administration, MotocrossKX250, kissing big tities
StrangerWitcandy

but if i get hondata now, before i boost, unless i pay the cash and learn how to tune it myself, im going to have to pay to tune it now, and then again when i boost, which is like $300-400 a time! that doesnt seem worth it to me, and i dont think im really knowladgeable enough to tune on my own, i dont even have a wideband o2