ECT setting is confusing me

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
fox30

ECT setting is confusing me

Post by fox30 »

Is ECT an additional fuel value on top of the base map until engine warms to 172F? or just an overall setting to adjust fuel according to both hot and cold temperatures?
Because my base map is great from 172 -192F But warming up to 172 degrees was very rich ( 10.20 - 10.00 on the wideband ) at a cold start and when it reaches temp would bounce around 11.60 - 12.20. I decreased my ECT so a cold start was running around 12.50. But AFTER it warmed up 172F I had lean spots. Thinking if I richen the table where the lean spots were, would put me back to square one again with the ECT for warm up again right? I don't know how to explain it.. If I richen the table to make up for it, wont i still be richening the warm up from what the ect just corrected even more? I put the ECT back up to where it was very rich cold starts but no more lean spots after warm up (172+).
This is hard to explain. Maybe I should just ask:
What should I aim for on the Wideband before it gets to 172F?
96 GSR / B18C1 Built / AEBS T-Sleeves /~~/
No stickers / no nice rims / 10.4 seconds
other hobbies: PC gaming, Half-Life, Linux Administration, MotocrossKX250, kissing big tities
CivicVTi

Post by CivicVTi »

I wouldn't care about readings below 172. This is an area you will be hte first minutes of driving and you are meant to run rich. Anyway, you are not supposed to step on the gas pedal too much when cold so just ignore it and keep good values for the 172-192 area.
fox30

Post by fox30 »

Thanks for the answer.
Its just that its so rich .. when starting up from cold its a bit hard to start and rough idle's till its real warm.. I figured its rough due to the rich value before 172F. Thats why Ive been messing with ECT.. I did get it to start quick and idle smooth at aroind 11.50 on the wideband. But after it gets 172F.. it runs leaner all through the map. I figured if I richened the whole base a bit, and leave the good lower ect setting, that when I start from cold again will just be back where I started with very rich cold starts..
I feel its because I have large injectors i may not perfect cold starts..
2.0L (b18c1 sleeved and bored to 84)
walbro 255 fuel pump
720cc injectors
9.5:1 comp
96 GSR / B18C1 Built / AEBS T-Sleeves /~~/
No stickers / no nice rims / 10.4 seconds
other hobbies: PC gaming, Half-Life, Linux Administration, MotocrossKX250, kissing big tities
CivicVTi

Post by CivicVTi »

Oops, your injectors are indeed quite large. Some other members have reported similar issues and (great) variance of AF ration according to external temperature.