put your heads together and help!

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
jap-spec

put your heads together and help!

Post by jap-spec »

Well honda here i come. I'm not new to working on honda but i never had one. I had a turbo eagle talon but i blow that engine and i wanted to make a change. It suck cause i spend alot of time learning everything about that engine and i mean everything. Now i have to start over and learn everything on honda. I'm not asking for advice on changing things that bolt on because thats craveman stuff. I have worked on hondas from swaping five b16c motor to doing timing on my friends cras. I need to better undertsand how vtec works and how to turbo a honda engines. First off, I planning to get a honda 1992 civic hatchback because that all i can afford for now. Along with that car i plan to get an engine to swap into it. I cant seem to decide on a motor that will work better for me to put a turbo in. My friends are telling me to get a cr-v motor becuase its a 2.0 and the block could handle a turbo better. I dont want to waste money on a turbo system yet so i'm planing on learning about vtec and doing that swap first.

Now my question= Would that engine mount in a 1992 hatchback?
Can i put vetc on a cr-v block?
How much hp does a vtec head really give?

If not i also what to go for the Ls b16b motor. Now that motor comes 150 hp without v tec. My friend will give me his gsr head for me to put in that engine. What will i need to have or do to make that vtec head work on the Ls block?
pills_PMD

Post by pills_PMD »

what is a b16C? and a b16b is the CTR engine. a b18b is the LS.
yes. a VTEC head will fit onto a b20 block.
as far as how much HP it will give you.. it's all up in the air. depends on how you build it.

hp = tq*rpm/5252
generally the VTEC heads rev much higher than the non-vtec heads... so you'll gain plenty of high end HP.
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

Sorry i meant b18c not b16c. Well i want to build a motor for turbo so that why i really want the cr-v 2.0 motor. I first wanted to worry about putting a vtec head on the b20b block because i have a gsr head that my friend is giving me. I can only afford an engine for now but i want to be able to keep up with my friends. I want to know how much horespower dose a cr-v engine bring and how much horsepower would be added if i through on my friends gsr head on that block.
pissedoffsol

Post by pissedoffsol »

you can get away with just dropping in the b20b (note: you need to change the intake manifold to the b18b1... the b20b won't clear the hood on a civic). it makes (bhp@rpm): 126@5400 HP and (ft/lbs@rpm) 133@4300. it won't be incredibly fast, but matted to a b16 or b18c tranny, it will use the massive torque and get your civic going just fine.. until you can save up for boost, or do a vtec conversion on it....

for tons of info on CRvtec and LSvtec check out this thread:
http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.p ... T&f=1&t=11
Brian@hondaswap.com
http://www.hondaswap.com
Hardcore Tech and Swap Info
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

So how does it work,if i put a gsr head on a b20b block. Would i have 170 hores power? its bpretty hard to image that i would gian 45 more horses if the b20b comes with 126 horses.
pissedoffsol

Post by pissedoffsol »

you would probably have 185+ at the wheels... and ive seen setups to 240 fully tuned with a set of cams.

its a power full set up, but not cheap to build
Brian@hondaswap.com
http://www.hondaswap.com
Hardcore Tech and Swap Info