Noob question!!! What exactly does the Hondata box do?

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
AllMotorMonster

Noob question!!! What exactly does the Hondata box do?

Post by AllMotorMonster »

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm new to this whole hondata thing.

My buddy has a hondata 2b unit, and he has this little box next to his computer.

What does it do? Is it for datalogging? Uploading new programs?

HELP! I want to understand how this all works!!!!
Yes, I'm a nOOb when it comes to HONDATA!
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

All "NooBs" should visit www.hondata.com before posting generic questions like this. Read everything. Then return with questions.

-AndyE
'99 EBP Si
S200 w/everything|12psi JRSC|Heatshield
AEM CAI|Kamikaze headers
Custom (quiet) 2.5" exhaust
Quaife LSD|JUN 9lb flywheel|ACT XTSS clutch
Eibach Pro-Kit/KYB AGX
Full polyurethane bushings/mounts
OZ 16x7 Superleggera + Sumi HTR Z II
AllMotorMonster

AndyE wrote:All "NooBs" should visit www.hondata.com before posting generic questions like this. Read everything. Then return with questions.

-AndyE
Thanks AndyE, but I've been there and done that. There is still no mention as to what "exactly" the Box does. It just says it's an interface. That's it.
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

The interface box serves two major functions:

1) It acts as an interface processor for external inputs/outputs.

Inputs include a clutch switch and a "change configuration" button (used for setting various RPM triggers for VTEC, launch control, and rev limiter without reprogramming your ROM).

Outputs include a shift light and a DB9 serial port for use with datalogging. These functions are controlled by a PIC microcontroller inside the interface box that acts as a tiny outboard I/O processor (among other things).

2) It acts as a hardware dongle.

It's very easy to duplicate all the guts of a Hondata-modified ECU with a handful of off-the-shelf parts and an EPROM burner, which could potentially make it very easy and cheap to duplicate an expensive Hondata system.

However, the Hondata engineers were smart enough (and had enough business sense) to closely couple the ECU functions to the microcontroller in the interface box, so the ECU won't work to its full potential without the microcontroller. And since it's pretty much impossible to extract code from a properly configured PIC microcontroller, they're spared the headache of having any schmoe with an EPROM burner be able to duplicate their work.

In case you're wondering what happens without an interface box, if you unplug the interface box from a Hondata ECU, it enters "limp home" mode. Aside from losing obvious functions like datalogging, the ECU will kick in a fuel cut if the revs go above 4000 rpm or the MAP sensor reads more than 1 psi of boost, which obviously impedes performance substantially.

-Andy
AllMotorMonster

AndyE wrote:The interface box serves two major functions:

1) It acts as an interface processor for external inputs/outputs.

Inputs include a clutch switch and a "change configuration" button (used for setting various RPM triggers for VTEC, launch control, and rev limiter without reprogramming your ROM).

Outputs include a shift light and a DB9 serial port for use with datalogging. These functions are controlled by a PIC microcontroller inside the interface box that acts as a tiny outboard I/O processor (among other things).

-Andy
See, now that is what I wanted to know.

So the box does act as a secondary system to the OEM computer.

Oh, does the datalogging process work with aftermarket wideband systems like the FJ0 system?

Once its all installed, how does the hondata unit interface with the above said 02 sensor?

See, this is what I want to know before I start spending my hard earned $$$.

Think of me as the guy who want's to buy all the toys, but doesn't want to be the village idiot about it. If someone asks me a question about my setup, I want to be able to explain it to them.

Thanks Andy!
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

You must have missed a section in your "been there, done that" perusing of Hondata's web site. All your wideband O2 sensor questions are answered here:

http://www.hondata.com/techwidebandtuning.html

-Andy