rom extension wires

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
kender

rom extension wires

Post by kender »

just curious, mainly cause I like to screw with stuff, but is it possible to extend the rom socket?

what I have in mind is, wire a ribbon cable to 2 sockets and match pin for pin, run the ribbon out of the ecu and mount it in a small radioshack project box somewhere more accessible, like the glovebox. this would eliminate the need to pull carpet, and the metal ecu cover plate on my crx each time I want to tune.

I know that with highspeed computers the length of the trace wire can be crucial in the processing speed, is the hondata fast enough that this would affect it? also is the rom suseptible to electric interferience and thus need a sheilded cable. I would use all computer spec ribbon cables or sheilded cable used in a pc.

I figure that since the only reason to pop the ecu when tuning is to gain access to the rom, why not move the rom. this would also avoid the possibility of accidently frying another component while the lid is off.

thanks for any insight.
shinociv

Post by shinociv »

Sounds like you need a Romulator. You need a laptop to use it though.

http://www.hondata.com/romulator.html
kender

Post by kender »

the romulator would be nice and when I get the extra cash then yes, but even with a romulator you have to pull the ecu cover off inorder to put in the romulator for tuning. without the romulator you just tune with the ecu on the floor of the car and leave it open to access the rom to pull and burn then reinsert ( zif socket of coarse ). my idea is so that say you want to just change one thing real quick you can pull the chip by opening the glovebox and burn a new bin in like 5 min or less, say if you wanted to lower the ecu set rev limit. or say burn 2 chips, 1 for street tune and one for track tune. when you go to the track you can drive there on street tune and swap the chips in no time, make your runs, then swap back for the drive home. all without any tools. plus like I said I just like to screw with stuff. :D