Anyone with experience of tuning S200, engine with ITB's

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
Rolfb

Anyone with experience of tuning S200, engine with ITB's

Post by Rolfb »

Hi,

I do have an ITR 98 model and I'm going to fit TWM ITB's. I've heard they are hard to tune. Does anybody have any experience regarding this, and what is the problem.

RB
CivicVTi

Post by CivicVTi »

I have tried once. Tuning full throttle is relatively easy and no different than a normal Honda (with intake manifold). The problem is when you tune part throttle. You get very low vacuum for even slight throttle opening and this makes tuning very very hard. The MAP sensor technology is not good with ITBs. An air flow meter would be better in this case (if you could find a way to mount it). Some people have luck with tuning ITBs by combining the TPS and MAP readings to one single sensor. I didn't bother tuning part throttle as it was a drag car but I believe tuning a Honda+ITBs for daily driving is VERY hard.
Rolfb

Post by Rolfb »

That explains why I was told most people use the AEM EMS when using ITBs. You wrote Hondata won't make an update to base fuelmaps of throttle position instead of map sensor voltage. Has the issue been raised previously in the forum, and has Hondata rejected making an update to solve this problem?
It's a pity if I have to dicth the S200 even before I've started using it.
Is the AEM EMS a direct bolt on kit, using the existing sensors?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

We plan to implement ITB support in a similar way to the K-Series (download KManager and see how it is done) for the s100/s200.
Hondata
Rolfb

Post by Rolfb »

Hondata,

ITB support like in KManager would be great. What is the timeframe for implementing this in the S200?

Regards Rolf B
turbosi92

Post by turbosi92 »

From experience, the ITB's love more timing (and big cams). Here is a car I did for a customer
http://www.evans-tuning.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Would I want to have a setup like this for driving daily? No
Did this stock block ITR engine scream after my tune? Yes. :wink:
Silverbeast

Post by Silverbeast »

This is a ls/vtec with toda ITBs and Toda Spec C cams:

http://www.silverbeast.com/dynoday/Chris/IMG_0384.JPG
http://www.silverbeast.com/dynoday/Chris/IMG_0392.JPG

Car made 241.4hp and 167.5tq all on pump gas. This car ran off of a Toyota sensor and harness for the map, instead of using the usual vac. canister.
CivicVTi

Post by CivicVTi »

Could you please help me more on what you did? I tuned a car with Toda ITBs (ITR engine) and Toda killer cams but did not produce good numbers. Car seems to misfire. What exactly did you do with the MAP and TPS sensors? Did you use an S200 unit? THanks