MSD SCI and Hondata S200

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
pcguy760

MSD SCI and Hondata S200

Post by pcguy760 »

Hi,

I would like to know if I can use my MSD SCI or some other electronic ignition booster with a Hondata S200 setup?

Let me know - thanks!
DaX

Post by DaX »

Yep. I'm using the MSD 6A with a trigger adapter circuit and external coil so that I got rid of the stock Honda coil and ignitor. It runs fine in conjunction with my Hondata.
pcguy760

Post by pcguy760 »

What I do not understand is, if I am gonna run a turbo - how will the Hondata be able to retard the timing, etc. if the MSD is controlling the spark and ignition?

Thanks.
DaX

Post by DaX »

pcguy760 wrote:What I do not understand is, if I am gonna run a turbo - how will the Hondata be able to retard the timing, etc. if the MSD is controlling the spark and ignition?

Thanks.
You do not need to get an MSD unit that can retard timing or anything like that if you plan on using Hondata. If you do get an MSD unit capable of timing control, you should set the MSD unit to a 'like stock' setting and let Hondata control all the timing. The MSD unit should only be used to create a more powerful spark.

I'm using an MSD 6A [one of their most basic units] to take advantage of the capacitive discharge, more powerful external coil, and so that I can run my ignition without the OEM ignitor module [I'm using a DIY trigger circuit that I built]. Eliminating the stock coil and ignitor greatly strengthens the automobile's ignition system, as these are generally the weak points in the system.