Advice needed.

Calibrations for S-Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)
Hank_on_Ree

Advice needed.

Post by Hank_on_Ree »

I have attached a base tune file I created for a D16Y8 build I recently completed. Would experienced tuners be able to give it a lookover to see what they think of the base file? I have watched HunterTuned, PFI Speed, Humble Performance, Evans Tuning, etc... I created notes in the file.

I was also wondering if anyone had any data information for the Snake Eater Performance 1000cc injectors. I have a set of their EV14 9 ohm injectors but the spreadsheet they sent me has no value to me, unless I was tuning with HPTuners, EFI Live, or Holley.

The build consists of:

Speedfactory/Vitara 75.5 mm
Supertech Springs and Retainers
Comp Cams 59500 with an AEM Cam Gear; timing is correct and I will be setting the base timing at 16*
Skunk 2 Intake Manifold with I assume a B series throttle body
AGP 750cc Injectors; made by RC Engineering, confirmed through messaging. Basically re-labelled RC Injectors.
Precision 5831e Turbocharger

That's the basic information of the build, it has other supporting modifications as well. I'd like to get the 1000cc injectors to work but I'm content with leaving the 750cc injectors in the fuel rail. It has a factory fuel pressure regulator on the factory fuel rail.

Help would be greatly appreciated. I basically took the information I gained from these knowledgeable tuners and created a base tune file. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thank you.
Attachments
PTE 5831e D16Y8.skl
(45.96 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
carlieebert

Re: Advice needed.

Post by carlieebert »

Did you figure it out???????
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Hank_on_Ree wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:56 pm I have attached a base tune file I created for a D16Y8 build I recently completed. Would experienced tuners be able to give it a lookover to see what they think of the base file? I have watched HunterTuned, PFI Speed, Humble Performance, Evans Tuning, etc... I created notes in the file.

I was also wondering if anyone had any data information for the Snake Eater Performance 1000cc injectors. I have a set of their EV14 9 ohm injectors but the spreadsheet they sent me has no value to me, unless I was tuning with HPTuners, EFI Live, or Holley.

The build consists of:

Speedfactory/Vitara 75.5 mm
Supertech Springs and Retainers
Comp Cams 59500 with an AEM Cam Gear; timing is correct and I will be setting the base timing at 16*
Skunk 2 Intake Manifold with I assume a B series throttle body
AGP 750cc Injectors; made by RC Engineering, confirmed through messaging. Basically re-labelled RC Injectors.
Precision 5831e Turbocharger

That's the basic information of the build, it has other supporting modifications as well. I'd like to get the 1000cc injectors to work but I'm content with leaving the 750cc injectors in the fuel rail. It has a factory fuel pressure regulator on the factory fuel rail.

Help would be greatly appreciated. I basically took the information I gained from these knowledgeable tuners and created a base tune file. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thank you.
If you plan to use the 1000cc injectors I recommend you install them now and use the injector data provided. I would be a more conservative on the timing if this is your first time tuning. The build boost tables can help.

Keep in mind that when you are watching the individuals listed you should take note of the theory and why things are done a certain way. You can easily get confused if they tune differently. The more you understand the theory the better you will be able to troubleshoot when having tuning issues.

Please post a datalog running your base map and I will be able to better help with changes. Keep int mind that during the tuning process you will have set the car to open loop and set VTEC high so that it does not activate. Once you have completed the low cam you will then activate VTEC.

Also, i see no mention of a wideband. You are going to need it to tune.

-Ed
Hank_on_Ree

Post by Hank_on_Ree »

Thank you for the reply. My post was rather vague. It does have a wideband sensor and it seems to be connected. However, a few huge curveballs in the process. The fuel pump doesn't seem to be working and neither do any of the aftermarket gauges. The wiring is a rats nest of a nightmare that is causing 16 error codes. Also, I am not able to upload, download, or data-log. The ECU connects and passes all of the tests, I have also registered it. I will be checking to see what the cause of my problem is. It keeps giving me error codes, freezes, exits sManager, wants to upload but only completes 1/8 of it before error messages.

I have some experience tuning but not with Hondata. I research a lot before I potentially harm a setup worth more than I'm willing to pay for. I had planned on doing the tune step by step as you mentioned. I have an idea as to what to do and what values to look for but the application is where I struggle with until I actually do it. I'm a hands on learner.

As of now, I won't be fixing the issues on this vehicle. I will let the client deal with it for reasons I wont mention.

I still want to learn but it will have to be on a different vehicle. I need to apply the information I have gathered and focus on what each change made does.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Hank_on_Ree wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:42 pm Thank you for the reply. My post was rather vague. It does have a wideband sensor and it seems to be connected. However, a few huge curveballs in the process. The fuel pump doesn't seem to be working and neither do any of the aftermarket gauges. The wiring is a rats nest of a nightmare that is causing 16 error codes. Also, I am not able to upload, download, or data-log. The ECU connects and passes all of the tests, I have also registered it. I will be checking to see what the cause of my problem is. It keeps giving me error codes, freezes, exits sManager, wants to upload but only completes 1/8 of it before error messages.

I have some experience tuning but not with Hondata. I research a lot before I potentially harm a setup worth more than I'm willing to pay for. I had planned on doing the tune step by step as you mentioned. I have an idea as to what to do and what values to look for but the application is where I struggle with until I actually do it. I'm a hands on learner.

As of now, I won't be fixing the issues on this vehicle. I will let the client deal with it for reasons I wont mention.

I still want to learn but it will have to be on a different vehicle. I need to apply the information I have gathered and focus on what each change made does.
If the Smanager is giving you issues make sure you antivirus is shut off. I have had issues where Smanager shuts off randomly when my antivirus is on.

If you already know how to tune then look over the hondata help documentation. They have great details on how the software works and what tables control what.

Yes, I agree that the client should fix all issues before you attempt to tune it.

-Ed
Hank_on_Ree

Post by Hank_on_Ree »

Thank you for the help. sManager is doing exactly what you described, only when it's connected to the ECU though. I will look through the forums more thoroughly. I plan on building an engine with random items I have in my garage. It would be the perfect candidate to learn with.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Hank_on_Ree wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:08 pm Thank you for the help. sManager is doing exactly what you described, only when it's connected to the ECU though. I will look through the forums more thoroughly. I plan on building an engine with random items I have in my garage. It would be the perfect candidate to learn with.
You are welcome. Sounds good.

-Ed
Hank_on_Ree

Post by Hank_on_Ree »

Upon further inspection of he ECU, it has a bad capacitor. I am going to see if it is one that can be replaced. It's the bigger black one near the s300 board.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Hank_on_Ree wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 am Upon further inspection of he ECU, it has a bad capacitor. I am going to see if it is one that can be replaced. It's the bigger black one near the s300 board.
You have to love working on cars. If it is not one thing it is the other.

-Ed