08 Si Hybrid Racing CAI Calibration Help

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

matt_hulsey

08 Si Hybrid Racing CAI Calibration Help

Post by matt_hulsey »

08 Civic Si with only Hybrid Racing CAI

I'm pretty much a noob to tuning, but have had some positive results. I do plan on getting a real tune eventually, after some more parts. AFR's are showing safe numbers, but it sometimes hesitates and stutters at about 4500rpm and 5500rpm. Can someone please take a look and make some suggestions?
Attachments
Hybrid Racing CAI.fpdl
(28.58 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
hybridracingCAI.fpcal
(22.05 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
pepperdanky

Re: 08 Si Hybrid Racing CAI Calibration Help

Post by pepperdanky »

You are lean at WOT. Get the AF.corr below 13. I adjusted some parameters that should make the car drive better but I did not touch your fuel tables.

I fixed your WOT lambda high table so the car will not be in closed loop. You should only be adjusting the fuel high table, leave the WOT lambda alone if you are using MAP fueling.

The fuel high looks a bit of a mess. Probably because you were trying to compensate for the car staying in closed loop up to 5750 rpm. Smooth out that hump and add 10% fuel across the board as a start.

edit: also looks like you changed the VTEC crossover without adjusting the cam angles
Attachments
hybridracingCAI_edit.fpcal
(22.06 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
matt_hulsey

Post by matt_hulsey »

Thanks pepperdanky, like I said, I'm new to tuning but am determined to learn.

I changed VTEC crossover to work on the high cam and have a smoother crossover point. I don't know about adjusting cam angles yet, could you point me to a good resource or enlighten me?

I'm going to work on smoothing out the fuel high. You say to start by adding 10% fuel, do mean the entire fuel high tables, or just the WOT section?

Thanks again and please excuse my ignorance.
pepperdanky

Post by pepperdanky »

https://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro/v ... ssover.htm
If you are going to set the VTEC point back to what it was after tuning then you don't need to worry about changing the cam angles.

You can just add 10% to the whole table (all cam angles) once you remove that spike in fuel at ~5000 rpm.
matt_hulsey

Post by matt_hulsey »

Smoothed out the fuel high tables, VTEC is good from 5500rpm up, but still having stuttering at 5000rpm. Couldn't get a datalog in 3rd gear from 3000rpm to redline because of it, did get one in 2nd gear though.
Attachments
HRCAI2.fpdl
(15.36 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
HRCAI1.fpdl
(12.24 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
HRCAI2.fpcal
(22.11 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
pepperdanky

Post by pepperdanky »

It's because you set the lower VTEC window to 5000 rpm. The cam angle map is trying to hit 40* on the low cam at 4300 rpm in anticipation of the crossover to the 37* on the high cam. With the lower window at 5000 rpm, it drops back towards 10* before switching to the high cam, causing a large loss in power.

Low cam is rich from 4000-5000 rpm, high cam lean from 6000 to redline. You can add another 10% fuel on the high cam from 6000 rpm to redline to get the AFR closer to 12.5.

Also you reverted the changes to the WOT lambda high table. If the values are set above 12.56, the car will not go into open loop, so anything you do to the fuel table at that point will have no effect. Editing these tables is only necessary when tuning via AFM; with MAP fueling it is easier to just put the car in open loop and adjust fuel via the fuel tables.
matt_hulsey

Post by matt_hulsey »

I started with the AEM V2 CAI calibration which has a VTEC window from 4350-5800. I changed it to smooth out the crossover, but I don't think I fully grasp the concept. Should I set the VTEC window back to the original and tune from there?

I'm not sure how I reverted the changes to the WOT lambda high table, I've only adjusted the fuel low and fuel high fuel tables, or so I thought. How do I determine open/closed loop?
pepperdanky

Post by pepperdanky »

If you put the lower VTEC window back to 4350 it should smooth out the crossover. If you move the VTEC window you will have to adjust the cam angles on the low map where they ramp up to 40* to match the new value.

On the WOT lambda high table set columns 6-10 to 12.46 to get the car to go to open loop at these loads. Then you will only have to adjust fuel on the fuel high table (and your fuel curve will not be as lumpy once tuned).
matt_hulsey

Post by matt_hulsey »

I set VTEC to original settings which eliminated the stuttering. I see now why not to adjust VTEC without adjusting cam angles.

I also adjusted the WOT lambda high table to what you recommended. The car is running much better now, probably a few more datalogs and adjustments, and it should be on point.
Attachments
VTEC.fpcal
(22.13 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
HRCAI.fpdl
(21.65 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
pepperdanky

Post by pepperdanky »

Actually, your injectors are maxed out. You only have the CAI right? Your O2 sensor may be bad if you have been adding fuel but it still shows 13.8 at WOT.
matt_hulsey

Post by matt_hulsey »

That makes sense. I added more fuel from 5000rpm up in fuel high, did a datalog, and it's still reading lean. I added more fuel and now it's sputtering again at about 5500rpm and still showing 13.8. How can I test the O2 sensor?
pepperdanky

Post by pepperdanky »

Adding/removing fuel and checking for a change in AFR is the test. I would set the fuel back to where it was before and order a new primary O2 sensor.
Part number: 36531-RRA-013
matt_hulsey

Post by matt_hulsey »

Gotcha, thanks pepperdanky, you've been a tremendous help!
matt_hulsey

Post by matt_hulsey »

Replaced the air/fuel ratio sensor. Made some more adjustments, car's running strong. A couple more tweaks should do it.
Attachments
HRCAI.fpdl
(22 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
HRVTEC.fpcal
(22.17 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
heimankm

Post by heimankm »

I figured I would start with your calibrations since I have a 2009 Civic Si with Hybrid Racing CAI, RRC IM, and J35 TB. I was surprised at how bogged down it felt past 5000rpm. I hate to thread jack but considering the setup is somewhat similar, I'd much appreciate if someone would take a look at my datalog.
Attachments
HRCAI_RRC_J35_10.2.2016.fpdl
(800.5 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
HRCAI_RRC_J35_10.2.2016.fpcal
(21.39 KiB) Downloaded 171 times