Help with a tune for a 2008 Acura CSX Type S

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

Moist

Re: Help with a tune for a 2008 Acura CSX Type S

Post by Moist »

Makes sense haha thanks good to know! I probably won't be driving until tomorrow as it looks like we have a bad thunder storm coming so I will probably have to get the datalog tomorrow. Thanks again I will probably have more questions tomorrow LOL
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good, no problem. Just keep Rev04 in there until you're ready to record a datalog. It will get more fun to drive as we go as well. The 0* cam is the boring child in the family.
Moist

Post by Moist »

Here is my next data log. Was a bit hot today haha but car was feeling good.

Thanks
Attachments
datalog0006 (Moist).fpdl
(5.84 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Lookin' really good. Made a few adjustments, had some knock pop up which is normal so I addressed that to remove it. Now we move onto the 30* cam angle. This one should feel pretty good in the midrange, but it will begin to fall off on the top end based on your mods. It's all cleaning up nicely though.

Same datalog and driving style. Your datalogs are great!
Moist.SD.Rev06 (30Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(21.44 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Moist

Post by Moist »

Here is the next one. Was driving around the city and did a pull near the end. Sorta odd this time but I'm not sure if I am psyching myself out when driving this time but it sort of felt like when shifting from 1st to 2nd it was stuttering a little bit but who knows haha maybe on the next one when I go out I can confirm. Otherwise that's all I observed haha. It could have probably done it on other gears but it probably wasn't as noticeable haha

Thanks
Attachments
datalog0007 (Moist).fpdl
(5.03 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah sometimes when we move up in cam angle, if the ramp up to higher cam angles is too much, you drop in and out of a large cam angle fluctuations and that can cause it to drive a little funky. I try to minimize it while tuning each cam angle while also getting the data we need. So it should go away, especially when we blend everything out. Right now you're going from 0* to 30* or 40* in a very short time, so things get a little weird. All part of the process though.

That one looked good. Now we're onto the 40* cam angle, this will the last one we lock on one like this. It will run out of breath on this one, so we're just trying to see how much of the 40* cam angle it wants in vtec, if any. With just an intake we are right on the line of where it sort of runs out of breath. So we'll see.

For this one, we really only need like a 10 minute datalog since we won't be using too much of this cam angle. If you want to take it for a quick spin, be sure to get a clean third gear WOT pull in like you have been, that is the most important part of this datalog. The next revision we blend everything out and you will get to see how it runs. So take it for a spin if you can real quick, and I will start putting the cam angle map together and wait for the next datalog to finalize it.
Moist.SD.Rev07 (40Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(21.69 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Moist

Post by Moist »

Awesome thanks ok perfect I thought I was just driving different haha. I will go out now and get this datalog!
Moist

Post by Moist »

Alright here it is haha. I apologize I forgot to ask but did you want more than 1 wot third gear pull or just the one haha. Otherwise yeah hopefully this data is good!

Thanks!
Attachments
datalog0008 (Moist).fpdl
(2.43 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No you're good, one was fine. It actually likes more of the 40* table than I thought it would so that is good. I've got everything blended out, so now we just work to finalize all the details. Might still take a a couple revisions to get everything dialed for fuel and ignition, but this will be a very close feel for the final product.

We're back to your normal 20-30 minute datalogs, with the third gear WOT pull. Feel free to drive it however you want now, just shoot for 20-30 minutes and the WOT pull in third as the bare essentials. You can make whatever pulls or whatever you want, drive it however you want.

Vtec seems to be a pretty good transition at 4600. We'll see how it acts in the datalog and see how it feels on your third gear WOT pull.
Moist.SD.Rev08 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.59 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Moist

Post by Moist »

Alright here it is haha. Driving it felt great haha was fun to actually try it out a bit. I guess the 1st to 2nd is a little bit odd but I think its just me haha but well see as it gets refined. One thing I noticed that I didn't really pay attention to is the intake sounds like its making a loud sucking noise when it gets to like 8000ish but thats just my observation haha. Most likely more air just rushing in at that high speeds.

Thanks!
Attachments
datalog0009 (Moist).fpdl
(6.62 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Looks great for the first blended version! I am curious if the 1-2 shift might be the absence of rev hang now that you mention it. Depending on how used to having it you were, some guys need a little time adjusting to it being off. We can always turn it back on if needed, or make a run with it on to see if it helps.

With the intake you have that thing should be sucking loud all the time. That sounded terrible after I typed it, haha. At 8000 is right around peak power, give or take a few rpm, so that could be what you hear is peak efficiency, or demand for air and fuel anyways.

Anyways, made a couple touch ups here and there, nothing major. We might be there on this one, if not really close! Same datalog style and everything, those 1-3 gear pulls looked like a lot of fun in that last datalog. Let me know on the 1-2 shift as well. If need be, we'll make a revision with rev hang on and have you compare. But see how it goes in this one and let me know.
Moist.SD.Rev09 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.61 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Moist

Post by Moist »

Hey I have the next one here. After driving around with the car honestly I have gotten used to it so no need to enable the rev hang haha. Also makes sense with the intake LOL but yeah thats pretty cool the sound anyway I didn't expect it.

I want to apologize as I got a little lazy and didn't fully check but it turns out the previous owner did put on a K&N water protector over the intake. I didnt want to pull the bumper off since the intake is deep inside but I decided to today and saw that. I am hoping it doesn't change the results too much. I can go grab another datalog if need be. Here is the one I grabbed today though.

Otherwise car is feeling responsive!

Thanks
Attachments
datalog0010 (Moist).fpdl
(5.63 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay sounds good. I would highly recommend taking the K&N screen off the filter and taking it for a test drive. Honest to god, I had one on my TSX at one point and I took it off here. It made a massive difference on how strong the car felt, and it wasn't a placebo at all. The HR intake already has a water bypass, so the K&N screen is pointless really on your setup, and honestly it is hurting performance. If I didn't experience it myself, I wouldn't be so sure. Let me know, but I would recommend removing it and test driving the car to see what you think.

Other than that, the tune looks great! Part throttle fuel trims are very good, and the WOT fueling is dead on. It had one knock on your second 3rd gear pull, but it hasn't done it before. So we'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. Likely I will pull a degree of timing there in a final revision to remove the likelihood of it happening in the future.

If you end up taking the K&N screen off, make a datalog just like you have been and let me know how it feels without it. Either way though, make another datalog tomorrow or Thursday with the calibration you have and we'll see how it looks. Once we see it's consistent over multiple days we should be good to go. But I am curious to see how it goes without that K&N screen. If it's anything like my car, you will notice a pretty substanital difference in how it feels.
Moist

Post by Moist »

Hey haha yeah I removed that thing as soon as I saw it. I feel bad for not looking earlier but yeah don't really understand what the previous owner was thinking with that haha. And sure no problem I will run through a datalog soon here and I will do some tomorrow and thursday!

Its pretty crazy how such a simple little thing can block flow LOL kinda blows my mind. But I am glad to hear its looking good hopefuly it stays consistent with no knocking haha.

Thanks!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I was a bit blown away when I removed the one I had.

We’ll see if the tune changes much, but definitely let me know if it feels any stronger with the screen off. Curious to hear someone else's thoughts. Granted different cars, but the same family of engine for the most part.