08 SI MAF tune help

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
Jmags01

08 SI MAF tune help

Post by Jmags01 »

I see that just about everyone says not to use the race tune. In that case I need help with a MAF tune, I have a race calibration that is going in the right direction. Car runs smooth daily driving and pulls pretty smooth till rev cut, when i use a race tune, I tried the MAF tune and its not right all around not horrible but not close to as clean as the race tune. Any help would be much appreciated. Only mod at this time is a Skunk 2 intake. I used the AEM V2 CAI base tune on both Race and regular calibrations. I did start adjusting the fueling in race and that's what made the big difference.
EFICU

Re: 08 SI MAF tune help

Post by EFICU »

Unfortunately you can’t use a MAF tune with the Skunk intake. You can’t get a proper reading since the diameter of the tubing is much bigger. You can tune it on the MAP sensor without using a race calibration.

If you want some help let me know. Do you have any future plans for more mods?
Jmags01

Post by Jmags01 »

Thank you for the reply and help would be much appreciated and yes I'm new to the Flash Pro. Exhaust, header, cam/valve train in the future, but it will probably by 2 years out before I do anymore engine mods. Setting the car up for track days Thunder Hill ect, suspension and chassis first. Just want a good tune run in the mean time.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds like a fun project!

So, for two reasons, since you plan to track it, and the proper way to tune these is to tune each cam angle individually and then blend everything out based on the data. That will give you the best e-tune possible. Same thing a good dyno tuner would do, although we would study the fuel tables once we're done to determine a lot of things since we don't have a dyno. This tuning process takes anywhere from 10-15 revisions to get everything right, barring any mechanical issue or odd knock tendencies. The burden of time falls on you as the datalogs need to be 20-30 minutes in length. That is the best way to do it, if you're more strapped for time, we can tune it quicker in say 4-6, but it wouldn't be as detailed for your car. We will do the best if that is the way you need to go, but if you have time the long way is the right way to do it and will yield you a more complete tune.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions. Either way, I can put together a file for you this afternoon and you can get stated whenever you're ready. Your only mod is literally the Skunk intake right, nothing else? Performance wise of course.
Jmags01

Post by Jmags01 »

Yes, I have been planning on this for awhile.

Short route for now since car will be parked for most of the winter. I'm planning on getting on the track in a few weeks so kind of strapped on time.

Correct just the Skunk 2 intake at this time the car is located at about 6,000 elevation.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay sounds good. Since you're strapped for time, I will do a hybrid of my long method to get as much data quickly as possible. For this first one, I will start you on the 15 cam with vtec at 4600. We'll work through the main three cam angle quickly so I can build you the best cam angle map. So the first three calibrations will be locked on one angle, then the next couple after that will be blended as we try to get you through it quickly.

So take this one for a drive. 20-30 minutes of stop and go type driving, avoid steady speed for long periods basically. On the drive, make one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-8600 so we can see the WOT fueling.
Jmags01.SD.Rev01 (15Cam)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.99 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Jmags01

Post by Jmags01 »

Let me know how the driving in the attached log is. Not a lot of stop lights around so i tried to act like there was stop lights.
Attachments
15 d first log.fpdl
15 degree first log
(357.36 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah that was good on the driving, that works good. Man you really are up in the elevation, wow. I've never seen the WOT column be column 7 before. Overall it looked good. I made a few fuel changes and some WOT fuel changes for the elevation. Now we will do the 30* cam angle with vtec still at 4600. Take this one for the same type of datalog and driving style, and we'll see how it looks.
Jmags01.SD.Rev02 (30Cam)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.88 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Jmags01

Post by Jmags01 »

Thank you.

I will get a log back to you tomorrow around the same time.
Jmags01

Post by Jmags01 »

Here's the next log. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
30 d first log.fpdl
(305.37 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Looks pretty good. Now we will do a quick on on the 40 cam for vtec to see if likes it. It's already running out of breath, but we'll see if it wants some of the 40 cam in vtec and then see what the data shows. So for this one, all we really need is maybe a 10 minute datalog with a clean third gear WOT pull like you've been doing. So give this one a quick run when you can. It will probably be very sluggish in the higher rpms as the 40 cam is too much for your mods, but it might like the 40 cam in the midrange, which is what we're checking here.
Jmags01.SD.Rev03 (40Cam)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.82 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Jmags01

Post by Jmags01 »

ok, same time tomorrow.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. Talk to you then.
Jmags01

Post by Jmags01 »

Let me know if this one works. First pull in third i let it out early at 7,900 rpms, i noticed how rich it was running at higher rpms on the last log. If i ned to run another let me know.
Attachments
40 d first log.fpdl
(112.54 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah it looked pretty good. In the last datalog it really fell off because of the altitude, I put more fuel in it just in case it picked up in that one. I would rather have a little too much fuel in it than not enough. But yeah, this one wasn't bad and it did actually like some of the 40 cam which is good.

So I've got everything blended out now, so take this one for drive like you have been when you can. I might end up having you try one with vtec around 4000 and see what you think. Trying to get this things out of the hole with your elevation is sometimes tricky, and with one guy I found moving vtec down low helped a lot. But take this one for a drive and see what you think. Fueling should be pretty close on this one, might take one or two more to get it dialed. But we're really close, and we were able to get a lot of data in those three datalogs.
Jmags01.SD.Rev04 (Blended).fpcal
(23.18 KiB) Downloaded 87 times