skunk2 stage 2 cam startup calibration.

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
elmago

skunk2 stage 2 cam startup calibration.

Post by elmago »

hello, I recently installed a set of skunk2 stage 2 tuner cams on my 08 si and i was wondering if the startup basemap that is provided in the flashpro is based off the stock block (stock pistons)? I saw that it runs 45* cam angle and wanted to be certain that it is safe to run the basemap for the time being.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: skunk2 stage 2 cam startup calibration.

Post by Spunkster »

I believe that it was on a stock bottom end. As with any basemap you will have to check your AF ratio and make sure you are not getting any detonation.
elmago

Post by elmago »

Thanks for the response, yes i will be watching my a/f ratios. I just wanted to be certain about the cam angles, don't want any valve/piston contact.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

IF there is the possibility of valve to piston contact you need to measure that before assembly and use a cam gear that is pinned to not go past that safe value. Relying on the ECU alone to control that is not a good idea.
elmago

Post by elmago »

Thats why i asked if the stock was used. The cam angle map in that particular kal provided in the software has the vtc advanced up to 45* which realistically is all the cam rotates. On the skunk2 website they recommend up to 40* for max power. So if the basemap is based off a stock block then in my opinion it would be safe to run the 40*. I know there are variables when it come to production engines, but i dont think they vary by much.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

It does not matter what the calibration uses - cams must use a physical stop in the VTC to limit advance to prevent valve to piston contact. The VTC control is only a closed loop control using engine oil pressure, and there are many factors which will let it over advance briefly. Plus, the ECU runs through a VTC cleaning cycle at least once per drive which goes to full advance.
Hondata