Valve to Piston Contact

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
terrorista

Valve to Piston Contact

Post by terrorista »

Guys,

I Just Overhaul my engine and After the final assembly the Cold Rattle of the VTC actuator was driving me crazy. I Changed the Part but now, Every time I Insert more than 3 degrees on the my calibration, I can hear the sound of piston to valve contact. Including in idle.

When Running the engine a little faster (4000 RPM) I can advance to 15 degrees and its done. Im user the tuner V3 cams with 12.5 piston ratio. BTW, the engine was running well prior to the overhaul.

New Tensioner, new Chain and guides. Te timing is exactly the position it should be, with black tooth in the chain with the marks in the cams and crankshaft.

Everything all right except by the alignment of the arrow of the Block With the pulley mark thats half tooth out of position.

Any possibility of Im screwing everything in the calibration?
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Valve to Piston Contact

Post by Hondata »

Did you measure the valve to piston clearance at different cam angles? Do you use a mechanical stop on the VTC?

Do these cams have low and high speed lobes? Getting valve to piston contact on the low cam is almost impossible.

With the valve timing ignore the colored links in the chain. Put the engine to TDC using a feeler rod on top of the piston. Inspect the cam sensor wheels at #5 cam cap and check the horizontal marks on the sensor wheels line up exactly with the parting line on the cap.
Hondata
terrorista

Re: Valve to Piston Contact

Post by terrorista »

Thanks by the prompt answer

There's no mechanical lock, we measure the contact with the piston at TDC we can advance the Intake 7 chain tooth to have contact. Assuming each tooth is 15 degrees, theoretically there's room for 3 degrees, that's when it starts ticking.

The head is open now and just checked the positioning of the plate and the sensors. Everything aligned. Number 3 is on the top and all the side marks still aligned with the cap x head line.

I just replaced the vtec solenoid, thinking it could be passing oil pressure and engaging the system when on Low Cam setup. Do you think it could be something related to this?

This camshaft works with one lob + Vtec. Isnt just it without the VTC.
Below the calibration and two datalogs. Previous Overhaul and after. With the ticking.
Attachments
Before Overhaull.fpdl
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
After Overhaul.fpdl
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
The Flash - Rev7.fpcal
(21.4 KiB) Downloaded 128 times