Hondata FlashPro FN2 Questions and S.Trim Issues

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the FN2 European Civic Type R
beaugus

Hondata FlashPro FN2 Questions and S.Trim Issues

Post by beaugus »

Hey everyone, only recently discovered this forum for Hondata specific questions regarding the euro FN2 Type-R.

I was hoping somebody might be able to help me better understand what is causing my erratic s.trim issues with any tune I try running.

Basically to keep a long story short, regardless if I am running a MAF or MAP based tune on my Type-R, after about 30-45 minutes of driving (and more so after constant free-way speed driving) my AFR becomes unstable and S.Trim erratically goes all the way to 47% and AFR will slowly but consistently start to run lean and stay lean until a period of time.

I've read about FN2's having a common 02 sensor issue where it more or less appears to "go offline" and cause the tune to try and correct an issue which obviously isn't happening.

I switched to a MAP tune recently and thought that may help resolve the issue or at least be able to reduce the severity of the problem but even under the same conditions it will happen regardless what type of tune I try running.

Assuming now that I have a repeatable issue with my car (even on stock mapping) is there anything anybody can recommend that I can inspect visually to verify having a bad 02 sensor or is there anything that can be done in Hondata to reduce the issue?

Lastly, does anyone know when Hondata plan to update FlashPro to correct the fuel gauge / distance to empty meter on the FN2 on MAP tunes?

Thanks in advanced.
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

Oh and also forgot to ask, if what I've described above does sound 100% 02 sensor related, can anyone suggest a better 02 sensor unit to replace the OEM Denso unit with so I don't run into this issue again soon.

I think the part number for the Denso AFR 02 Sensor for the Civic SI is:
P/N: 234-9062

Does anyone have reason to believe that I wont be able to use this replacement 02 sensor on my Euro FN2 as its fitted with a K20Z4 and the SI with K20Z3?

Or again if there is a better, direct replacement unit that is compatible with Hondata I'd really like to hear from you!

Thanks again.
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

I've also included a datalog of when the S.Trim issue begins and how it eventually corrects itself.

If anybody could chime in and let me know what they think I'd really be grateful.
Attachments
strim issue.fpdl
Datalog Of S.Trim Issue
(636.98 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You should use the non-race (AFM) calibration for your vehicle.

Your o2 sensor is probably cracked internally, and the heater probably goes open circuit after it warms up fully. We have mostly seen this from after market exhaust headers which increase the vibration the o2 sensor is subject to.
Hondata
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

Hondata wrote:You should use the non-race (AFM) calibration for your vehicle.

Your o2 sensor is probably cracked internally, and the heater probably goes open circuit after it warms up fully. We have mostly seen this from after market exhaust headers which increase the vibration the o2 sensor is subject to.
Thanks for replying back to me Hondata :-), is there any specific reason why I should be using a AFM calibration over a MAP for the FN2?

I'll more or less consider replacing the 02 sensor but I just can't believe it's playing up the way it does when the car has barely traveled 2500 miles and the only modification to the exhaust to date is a cat-back Mugen system.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The AFM is the correct calibration for your vehicle. The MAP based calibration is a 'race' calibration.
Hondata
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

Hondata wrote:The AFM is the correct calibration for your vehicle. The MAP based calibration is a 'race' calibration.
Does this still apply if I am looking to have a professional tune mapped for me? I'm aware out of the box the Hondata Flashpro dosen't have any MAP tunes for FN2 supported and only has a MAF basemap to work from.

But If I wanted a professional tune developed would you still recommend I stay with AFM or can I safely use MAP?

The fuel gauge / distance to empty issue barely concerns me, its just another feature that could possibly come in time but I'm after the best running conditions for my car.
beaugus

Post by beaugus »

With the appropriate safety margins of course, I'm not after flat out power but I just heard most tuners are more comfortable tuning the civic using the MAP over MAF based tunes.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You'll get the same results with the AFM and MAP, except the AFM program is designed for your exact vehicle while the MAP is not.
Hondata