FN2 OLD used Hondata launch control issue

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the FN2 European Civic Type R
DiesMorte

FN2 OLD used Hondata launch control issue

Post by DiesMorte »

Hello!
Recently i have bought a used Hondata and tried to reflash the ECU with GroupN calibration.
ECU is stock Euro FN2. GroupN calibration was slightly modified: VTEC to 4400 rpm and launch to 3700 rpm.
Everything reflashed fine, the VTEC is 4400 now, red line became higher - 8600, but the launch is not working at all.

Details:
1. I used the latest FlashProManager downloaded from the website (version 3.5.2.0) - it has "adjustable" launch control feature
2. Before re-flashing the launch was working properly at around 5000 rpm
3. I tried to check launch rpm using instruction with cruise button and cancel button (find it in one of the topics there) - tach wasn't showing anything
4. HONDATA was bought in used condition, probably it is old. The CD in hondata box has old version of FPManager (1.3.3.0) with different "not adjustable" launch control menu (launch rpm and launch recover rpm windows)
5. Cruise control works properly after re-flashing, so clutch sensor is ok

Could it be that OLD Hondata hardware is not working properly with the latest FPManager? Launch control menus are different in old and new versions of software.
Or any other concerns why it isn't working?
Thanking you and waiting for your kind reply.
Attachments
OLD software launch menu.png
OLD software launch menu.png (93.93 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
New software launch menu.png
New software launch menu.png (81.45 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: FN2 OLD used Hondata launch control issue

Post by Spunkster »

Do not use the old software. Only use the most recent release of software.

If you continue to have an issue, post the calibration you are using and a datalog showing the issue.
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

Understood, i wasn't using the old one, just check what did the CD contains. The calibration i re-flashed was made in the latest FPManager. During last 2 days i reflashed the ECU several times with different launch rpm starting from 3500 and finishing with 5000 rpm and different disengage speed from 2 kph to 8 kph. Last one launch is 3700 and speed 8 kph. Attached the calibration.

Now i need to learn how to make a proper datalog of launch fault to attach. Sorry im not that experienced Hondata user.
Attachments
GroupN+REV 8400+VTEC 4300+Final Gear 4,11+Launch 3700.fpcal
(19.69 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

Good day, Sir!
As you told me, i make a few datalogs trying to get launch. Engine is reving freely, without any stops or limits. Logs attached.
Hope it will help!
Attachments
LaunchSecondTry.fpdl
(94.02 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
LaunchFirstTry.fpdl
(64.93 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

Hm... But before reflashing the launch rev limiter was working even without clutch pressed. It was malfunctioning?
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

And im so sorry for stupid question - how do you check the clutch switch position in the datalogs?
I tried to use Graph - Clutch Position, but the graph is empty...
It will help me to understand the switch working or not after dismantling/changing or so.
Attachments
Clutch position graph.png
Clutch position graph.png (88.08 KiB) Viewed 8330 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The clutch position is not shown in the datalogs. But based on what I can see in the datalog it is not fully depressed or has an intermittent connection. You can only see the variables that are listed in the senor list window.
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

Understood, i will try to check clutch switch on saturday and come back to the topic.
Thanking you so much Spunkster for your feedback!
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

Good day!
Today i was playing with the clutch sensor. Find something unusual...
1. Sensor itself has 3 pins on it - i check them, pins 2+3 are energized if the sensor rod is slightly "extended" (cruise control)
2. Pins 1+2 (or 3) are energized if the sensor rod is completely extended (launch mode probably, as Spunkster said). Seems correct...
But:
3. Cable plug (answer part to the sensor) has only 2 cables for pins 2 and 3.
4. There is no third cable that can be attached to the 1st pin, at least i cant see it. I checked with the electric schemes for FN2 and i dont find anything about pin 1 on the clutch sensor. Every scheme i check in the internet has only 2+3 pins mentioned...

Probably there is no pin 1 cable from the factory.
But i suppose that on the ECU there is a corresponding output for 1st pin of the clutch sensor, only the cable is missing. Those pins on the ECU and on the clutch sensor are need to be connected to activate third sensor position (completely pressed) and the launch. Right?

Sad, but i cant find FN2 ECU pins layout to define the corresponding pin... If someone can help me with the pins layout (or just tap the required pin for clutch sensor) i will be very pleased.
Or there are other ways out from this dilemma?
Thanking you! Photos attached.
Attachments
Sensor pins.jpg
Sensor pins.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 8315 times
Plug pins.jpg
Plug pins.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 8315 times
Manual - clutch sensor pins.png
Manual - clutch sensor pins.png (20.46 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

I have tested this in our vehicle here with your calibration and it is working as it should. See if the rev limit changes with the clutch pushed in and you use the resume and set buttons for the cruise control.
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

Hi Spunkster! Glad to hear from you!
I have already tested it... Some hours ago was testing.
Cruise control button pressed, clutch fully pressed in. Buttons resume and set has no effect at all. By pressing them nothing happens.
I suppose the issue is in missing cable to pin 1 on the clutch sensor.
You have tested it on FN2? Did your vehicle has 3 cables connected to the clutch sensor or only 2 cables?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The book says the US vehicles only have 2 wires as well and it works here using your calibration.
DiesMorte

Post by DiesMorte »

Strange enough. My friend also have 2 cable on his FN2, same overall look of the sensor/cables/pins as on mine car. He also uses Hondata calibration and launch works fine.
What would you recommend to check?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Make sure that that signal from the clutch is making it to the ECU.