Ignition timing doesn't follow the map from 2400-3000 RPMs

FlashPro Manager software
BV1

Post by BV1 »

Just to add to this, as the issue you were experiencing was during an increase (upward slope) of ignition values, I thought I would mention I have noticed that during knock retard due to knock volume, if the noise is loud enough or the sensitivity is high enough, the ECU will "freeze" ignition not just retard it.

For example, lets say the map is calling for an increase from 15 degrees up to 20 degrees IGN from 2000-2500 RPM but the ECU hears too much noise at 15 degrees, 2000 RPM and unless the noise has completely subsided it will "freeze" the IGN at 15 degrees making it look like a knock retard value of -5 degrees by the time it gets to 2500 RPM... but the real problem happened at 2000 RPM.

I am assuming the logic is if I get a knock count at 15 degrees, then I will worsen the problem by running 20 degrees, even if the RPM has changed by 500.

Steve
Student: There's no replacement for displacement!
Teacher: HP is essentially Torque * RPM.
Student: <?>
Teacher: So, technically there is no replacement for RPM either.
soxfan143

Post by soxfan143 »

I pulled like 70% out of all my knock tables and I never ever see knock retard. I'm turbo and my ignition values always reflect my ignition values in my tables. The highest value I have in either knock table is 329.
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Hondata, Can you confirm this and if so provide a status in the datalog to reflect a ignition freeze?

BV1 wrote:Just to add to this, as the issue you were experiencing was during an increase (upward slope) of ignition values, I thought I would mention I have noticed that during knock retard due to knock volume, if the noise is loud enough or the sensitivity is high enough, the ECU will "freeze" ignition not just retard it.

For example, lets say the map is calling for an increase from 15 degrees up to 20 degrees IGN from 2000-2500 RPM but the ECU hears too much noise at 15 degrees, 2000 RPM and unless the noise has completely subsided it will "freeze" the IGN at 15 degrees making it look like a knock retard value of -5 degrees by the time it gets to 2500 RPM... but the real problem happened at 2000 RPM.

I am assuming the logic is if I get a knock count at 15 degrees, then I will worsen the problem by running 20 degrees, even if the RPM has changed by 500.

Steve
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

soxfan143 wrote:I pulled like 70% out of all my knock tables and I never ever see knock retard. I'm turbo and my ignition values always reflect my ignition values in my tables. The highest value I have in either knock table is 329.
It sounds like you have pulled out way more knock sensitivity than you needed. I think you should add it back incrementally until you start to see knock retard, then back it off a bit again. I just had to remove about 10% of the sensitivity to get rid of all of my knock retard. This way you will still have the protection against knock in the case you get a tank of bad gas.
'06 NFR S2000