P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2009 (US, UK, Asia) S2000
scolberg

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction

Post by scolberg »

I just had my car tuned after having its head built. It is a SOS supercharged car. I used a different tuner this time. We road tested the car and I had a 5 hour leisurely cruise on Sunday. Car ran good and no CEL. Yesterday I took it out for a short spirited drive and got P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction. Prior to the tune I was getting a fair number of Knock count but never any knock retard. Playing the log I noticed that the knock count drastically increased yesterday while under hard acceleration but still there was no retard. After I let off the throttle shortly after the Knock control% moved from 56 to 144. It is then the CEL came on. I went home and cleared the code. Later I went out to test the car again. I barely got out of my subdivision when I got the same CEL. The log shows that it started out with Knock control % of 56. It took 37 seconds of driving for the CEL to resurface. Knock count was zero and a when the CEL was reported the Knock control % shot up to that same 144.

My question is this. Does this look like a faulty knock sensor or could this code be thrown from the way my car was tuned? I see lots of settings under Knock Control but I don't have the skill/knowledge to read and interpret them. From my reading I understood Knock Control % would help indicate what fuel octane the car is seeing. If I had bad gas I would have expected to see knock retard but it always shows as zero. Last two fill ups were 93 octane. Since there is no knock retard I am wondering if it is a calibration/tuning issue. Before I spend money on a new sensor I thought I would ask for opinions.

Thanks
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction

Post by Spunkster »

Without the calibration and a datalog showing the issue it is impossible to speculate.
scolberg

Post by scolberg »

Attached are the two logs and the calibration file.
Attachments
7-28-2014 second log.fpdl
(1 MiB) Downloaded 353 times
7-28-14 first log.fpdl
(338.5 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Current calibration.fpcal
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You have more timing than the supercharger calibration we have provided as a base map in the software (about 7 degrees more). You may want to discuss this with your tuner. What fuel are you using....octane and brand?
scolberg

Post by scolberg »

I'm in Canada but my tuner is in Michigan. Prior to the tune I filled at a Michigan Shell with 93. On the way home I filled with Speedway 93 also in Michigan. Last night I filled at home Petro Canada 94 (which is Sunoco).
scolberg

Post by scolberg »

If the sensor is no good wouldn't the ECU be pulling timing out and dropping my power? How can I tell from the logs? The reason I ask is that the dyno results were poor even taking into account this tuners Mustang dyno reads much lower than the dynapack I originally had it tuned on 2 years ago. Plus I am running 3 pounds more boost now. So with a built head and smaller pulley (more boost) I am making less power than I had before doing the head work.
scolberg

Post by scolberg »

As a test I loaded up my prior calibration. The car reported the CEL at the exact same time as my last test. Within seconds of leaving. It is now throwing the code almost immediately upon driving. This to me indicates it isn't a calibration problem that is throwing the code. I ordered a new sensor hoping it will resolve the problem and find my missing power.
scolberg

Post by scolberg »

New sensor lasted 10 minutes.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You may also have a mechanical problem that is making a lot of noise inside the engine.
scolberg

Post by scolberg »

You might be right. I never had any of these problems prior to getting the head work done. Car didn't run right after the installation of the head. First clue something was wrong was the ECU began pulling timing out.
scolberg

Post by scolberg »

Well it turned out to be mechanical. When the head was installed a rocker arm piston (vtec pin) found its way out and was bouncing around. Timing was being pulled from the very beginning but why it took so long to kick out a CEL I don't know. The sensor did blow when the CEL was reported. We tested the existing sensor after putting the vtec pin back into place and clearing the CEL. It reported the same error. Replacing the sensor was required and my problems are gone. Thanks for your assistance.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Thanks for the follow up. We hope that nothing was damaged.
Hondata