CPR wiring help!!!

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
Greg Amy

CPR wiring help!!!

Post by Greg Amy »

Camping onto this topic for a non-related wiring question (instead of starting a new topic).

I'm planning the CPR install for my '95 Integra GS-R, B18C1. In reviewing the instructions I see I've got harness Variation B, with Green and Yellow wires for the engine compartment distributor connections.

As I understand it, the coil and ignitor can be completely removed from the disty; correct? If so, then per the FSM the two wires on the lower plug to the disty, black/yellow and blue, will apparently be going to nothing inside the disty. I think these are the two wires that must be connected to the green/yellow wires on the CPR harness.

If these assumptions above are all correct, is there any reason I cannot simply cut off the socket of this lower connector from the distributor and use that as a pigtail to connect to the CPR harness? It would make the installation cleaner, waterproof, and easily removed for subsequent engine removal. It's a race car, I'm not worried about putting it back to stock ignition.

What are folks doing with the internal wires that used to go to the coil and ignitor? Cutting them? Taping them off and stuffing them inside? I want to ensure they stay clear of the shaft/gears/Hall Effect sensor.

Greg
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: CPR wiring help!!!

Post by Spunkster »

Yes you can wire it like that if you wish, but it is always best to test your wiring before making it final to avaoid making irreversible changes.
Greg Amy

Post by Greg Amy »

Thanks for the follow up! Once I've verified it all works I'm likely to trim off all the internal wiring that used to go to the igniter and coil (black/yellow, blue, and yellow/green) to keep it clear of the rotating parts.

Side note for future reference: on my '95 DC2 Integra chassis, the yellow/green ICM (DIST) wire is ECM pin A21, not A22 as noted in the instructions.

Greg
Greg Amy

Post by Greg Amy »

Wired in per instructions, fired right up. Nice piece of kit.

One last question. As described above, I'm going to cut off the external coil/igniter pigtail from the disty and splice it into the CPR harness (I'm also going to trim off all the internal coil/igniter wires). However, the black/yellow wire on that external plug going into the disty is a smaller gage than the CPR harness, significantly smaller than the one going to the engine compartment harness. Is there a minimum gage needed for this black/yel wire to sufficiently supply power to the CPR?

Thanks for the help, nice product.

Greg
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

That wire supplies power to the coils, not the CPR. Normally it is quite thick.
Hondata
Greg Amy

Post by Greg Amy »

Hondata wrote:That wire supplies power to the coils, not the CPR. Normally it is quite thick.
Right. Note above I wrote the wire going into the stock engine compartment harness is large (call it 8 gage?) yet the wire on the other side of that same factory plug, the side going into the distributor to the stock internal coil, is much smaller (call it 12 gage?). The yellow wire on the Hondata CPR harness is between the two, call it 10 gage.

So what's the minimum "quite thick" needed for that black/yellow wire to power the CPR coils?

GA
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

10 or 12 gauge are plenty thick enough.
Hondata
Greg Amy

Post by Greg Amy »

Thanks!

Again, nice product, well done.

GA
Muckman

Post by Muckman »

I need confirmation on the CPR orange wire - Does it go into OBD1 A21 or A22?
Instructions say A22 but A22 is empty on my OBD2b to OBD1 adapter harness.
I traced OBD2b B13 (ICM) wire to OBD1 A21.
Does CPR orange go to A21 or should I depin A21 and put orange wire into A22?
Integra GSR 13.5:1 GT30R 597hp
Evo9 MR SE
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Both spots do the same thing, so either will work.
ben

Post by ben »

Ran into the same situation with A21 vs. A22 for an OBD-1 ECU.

Spunkster wrote:Both spots do the same thing, so either will work.
If they both do the same thing, can I just leave A21 untouched and just pin the orange (or ylw/red for B variant) into A22?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Whatever pin either A22 or A21 needs to be depinned so that it is no longer connected to the ignitor.
ben

Post by ben »

I'll have to go back and depin A21 then.

It does seem to run okay even with both of them connected.