Should I order a Flashpro for my fg4?

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
simarkgor

Should I order a Flashpro for my fg4?

Post by simarkgor »

Hi there I am new to the forum. I recently just got my Civic Si Coupe 2015. It is still pretty much a stock car, and I am planning to get Invidia Q300 Exhaust and a Stunk2 Cold air intake for it. I have heard that the flashpro is one of the easiest and cheapest way to gain power and torque upgrade. I know nothing about tuning. Do I have to customize different datas on the ECU while doing the Flashpro tuning? Is there a pre-set tune that I can just plug-in and upload to the car (is it the "base map" according to what others saying)? More than that, how many gains to you guys have after tuning the car with the flashpro?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate everyone who spend time reading this.
EFICU

Re: Should I order a Flashpro for my fg4?

Post by EFICU »

Welcoome to the forum...

If you plan to get the Skunk 2 intake, you should order a FlashPro at the same time or else the car will not run right. The S2 intake has a much larger diameter pipe and changes the way the air flows into the engine by quite a bit. That increase in flow and shape of the pipe throws off the MAF sensors ability to properly control the air fuel ratio. Not to mention drivability will be degraded because of this as well.

There is no off the shelf calibration to get it right the first time. There are some that are close and we can help you make the necessary changes. Though I would recommend doing a complete tune where we tune each cam angle individually and then blend everything out. Usually takes about 10 revisions to get it right. If you want it done really quick, we can start on a basemap and make the necessary changes. But if you want the most out of it, you really should do it the long way.

Unfortunately, there is no way to guesstimate the power increase. Without a dyno, we have to use certain data sets to make the best decisions for power. With the stock cat in there you will be leaving some power on the table, but trust me you will be happy with just the mods you plan to do and a solid tune using FlashPro.

If you want some help with the tune, just let me know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. But really, don't get the S2 intake unless you plan to get a Flashpro and install a tune at the same time. You will have issues. Will it run without FlashPro, yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. Get them both at the same time and I would more than happy to help you with it.
simarkgor

Post by simarkgor »

EFICU wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 pm Welcoome to the forum...

If you plan to get the Skunk 2 intake, you should order a FlashPro at the same time or else the car will not run right. The S2 intake has a much larger diameter pipe and changes the way the air flows into the engine by quite a bit. That increase in flow and shape of the pipe throws off the MAF sensors ability to properly control the air fuel ratio. Not to mention drivability will be degraded because of this as well.

There is no off the shelf calibration to get it right the first time. There are some that are close and we can help you make the necessary changes. Though I would recommend doing a complete tune where we tune each cam angle individually and then blend everything out. Usually takes about 10 revisions to get it right. If you want it done really quick, we can start on a basemap and make the necessary changes. But if you want the most out of it, you really should do it the long way.

Unfortunately, there is no way to guesstimate the power increase. Without a dyno, we have to use certain data sets to make the best decisions for power. With the stock cat in there you will be leaving some power on the table, but trust me you will be happy with just the mods you plan to do and a solid tune using FlashPro.

If you want some help with the tune, just let me know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. But really, don't get the S2 intake unless you plan to get a Flashpro and install a tune at the same time. You will have issues. Will it run without FlashPro, yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. Get them both at the same time and I would more than happy to help you with it.
Thanks for the reply! Lots of new knowledge! Do you mean that if I gonna put on the intake I should also tune the cam angle in order to increase the gas flow with my computer? If that's the case I think I should save up more money to do all the intake, exhaust and ECU in the same time, as my car has to spend a lot on exterior detail and maintenance (it seems the previous owner was not really care about the body part of the car :-[ ). Other then that I would like to know will it be good for the car if I just install the base map and the intake but without further tuning? Will the base map itself fix part of the problem you mentioned? As I saw that the official flashpro website stated that the car can have a 30hp gain with a modified intake. I am not sure under what condition they get that result.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

I would recommend tuning the cam angle yes, it's all part of the process I can help you with. Using an improper cam angle map for your car will rob you of low, mid, and top end power when done improperly. The factory cam angle map is not ideal, especially not after doing some mods. We don't necessarily increase the cam to increase the gas flow, we build the cam angle to take advantage of where your car is demanding the most fuel, where it demands more fuel it is making more power, basic function of the engine. More air, more fuel, more power, when done properly of course.

It's good to tune it with everything at one if possible. Though a lot of guys like to to their mods in stages for financial reason or whatever their reasons are. If you want to do the intake first, then that is fine. I would recommend not doing the intake though unless you get a FlashPro at the same time. AS I mentioned previously, will it run, yes. Will it run well, I don't think so, from my experience. You will most likely get check engine light codes with a lean error code. You are essentially getting the biggest diameter intake with a vastly different shape to the tube length, the air flow meter can no longer properly meter the air coming in. The fuel trims can only help so much in part throttle to keep the air fuel ratio near 14.64. When you go full throttle, the car will go lean and the fuel trims cannot kick in. Short term impact on the engine won't be bad, but long term it could cause issues. Couple that with perhaps too much ignition and you get some knock, then you have two things going on. If you buy a FlashPro at the same time, I can help you make it right quickly without having to worry.

There are some basemaps that might be close. But every car is different, if one basemap worked there would be no need for tuners to help people individually. So yes you can throw a basemap in there, but I would recommend having myself or someone else look at some datalogs with that map in there for you. Using a basemap, you are hoping the cam angle map is right within that file. To build the cam angle map properly, you must do a complete tune or else you don't have the required data to make those decisions.

I don't see you gaining 30hp with an intake and exhaust and a tune, but you might. It all depends on how the car reacts to the changes and the tune. When done right though, you will notice a substantial difference in performance with the mods you are wanting to get and a proper tune using FlashPro.

Have you downloaded FlashPro manager software yet?
simarkgor

Post by simarkgor »

EFICU wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:38 am I would recommend tuning the cam angle yes, it's all part of the process I can help you with. Using an improper cam angle map for your car will rob you of low, mid, and top end power when done improperly. The factory cam angle map is not ideal, especially not after doing some mods. We don't necessarily increase the cam to increase the gas flow, we build the cam angle to take advantage of where your car is demanding the most fuel, where it demands more fuel it is making more power, basic function of the engine. More air, more fuel, more power, when done properly of course.

It's good to tune it with everything at one if possible. Though a lot of guys like to to their mods in stages for financial reason or whatever their reasons are. If you want to do the intake first, then that is fine. I would recommend not doing the intake though unless you get a FlashPro at the same time. AS I mentioned previously, will it run, yes. Will it run well, I don't think so, from my experience. You will most likely get check engine light codes with a lean error code. You are essentially getting the biggest diameter intake with a vastly different shape to the tube length, the air flow meter can no longer properly meter the air coming in. The fuel trims can only help so much in part throttle to keep the air fuel ratio near 14.64. When you go full throttle, the car will go lean and the fuel trims cannot kick in. Short term impact on the engine won't be bad, but long term it could cause issues. Couple that with perhaps too much ignition and you get some knock, then you have two things going on. If you buy a FlashPro at the same time, I can help you make it right quickly without having to worry.

There are some basemaps that might be close. But every car is different, if one basemap worked there would be no need for tuners to help people individually. So yes you can throw a basemap in there, but I would recommend having myself or someone else look at some datalogs with that map in there for you. Using a basemap, you are hoping the cam angle map is right within that file. To build the cam angle map properly, you must do a complete tune or else you don't have the required data to make those decisions.

I don't see you gaining 30hp with an intake and exhaust and a tune, but you might. It all depends on how the car reacts to the changes and the tune. When done right though, you will notice a substantial difference in performance with the mods you are wanting to get and a proper tune using FlashPro.

Have you downloaded FlashPro manager software yet?
Thanks for the reply! Lots of useful information:) I could understand how important it is to do a proper tune with the mods after reading what you have written. It seems like the best to my Si is to buy the flashpro and the mods together in the same time. After reading what you wrote I won't get the intake install first but waiting for all parts in the same time.

Other then the intake, may I know if the changing of like a lower spring or brakes etc. require a proper tune for my car in this point as well?

Nope I hasn't download it yet. Is it a free software or I have to download it after getting a flashpro?

Thanks a lot. You are so kind and really making me knowing more about my car:):)
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah if you were going to get just a standard short ram intake, the skew wouldn't be so bad. But you are getting one of the top three intakes on the market in my opinion. One that makes substantial difference in how air is introduced to the engine. Another thing, besides the concerns over lean issues, without FlashPro and a tune optimized for that intake, it won't make more power. It might make a little bit, but besides the sound of the intake you won't feel much of a difference in performance at all. With FlashPro, and a proper calibration, we can take advantage of the intake's benefits and then you will see a substantial gain performance.

You can always get the Flashpro first, and we can do a quick tune. I have a couple calibrations from stock 2015 Si's that we can put in there to have fun with until you get the intake and exhaust. There is some performance to be had with FlashPro on a stock car, I always recommend guys snag the FlashPro first and we can at least get you something to have fun on while you wait for parts. It seems logical to wait for parts and get the FlashPro at the same time, I did years ago before I got into tuning. Then it dawned on me one day that there is still some performance to be had in stock form, so I ordered a FlashPro right away and put a simple tune in it until the parts showed up.

Lowering springs and brakes won't have any impact on the tune. Aftermarket motor mounts that are stiffer can cause false knock, so I don't usually recommend those on a daily driver. But if you want to lower the car and do other exterior mods they won't have any impact on the tune.

Yes FlashPro Manager is free to download. Unlike some other competitors who don't allow you to download the software, Hondata supplies this as a free download here https://www.hondata.com/flashpromanager. Download it and get familiar with it. If you have some questions on things in there let me know. Otherwise, if you want me to help you with the tuning process, once you're ready, I'll grab an email address from you and I will send you some things to change in the settings and a display I use to analyze datalogs.

No problem, happy to help you guys out. If you order up a FlashPro right now while you wait for other mods, let me know and we can put a quick tune together while you wait for parts. Then when you get the new parts on it we will do a complete tune as I describe in the earlier posts.
simarkgor

Post by simarkgor »

EFICU wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:46 pm Yeah if you were going to get just a standard short ram intake, the skew wouldn't be so bad. But you are getting one of the top three intakes on the market in my opinion. One that makes substantial difference in how air is introduced to the engine. Another thing, besides the concerns over lean issues, without FlashPro and a tune optimized for that intake, it won't make more power. It might make a little bit, but besides the sound of the intake you won't feel much of a difference in performance at all. With FlashPro, and a proper calibration, we can take advantage of the intake's benefits and then you will see a substantial gain performance.

You can always get the Flashpro first, and we can do a quick tune. I have a couple calibrations from stock 2015 Si's that we can put in there to have fun with until you get the intake and exhaust. There is some performance to be had with FlashPro on a stock car, I always recommend guys snag the FlashPro first and we can at least get you something to have fun on while you wait for parts. It seems logical to wait for parts and get the FlashPro at the same time, I did years ago before I got into tuning. Then it dawned on me one day that there is still some performance to be had in stock form, so I ordered a FlashPro right away and put a simple tune in it until the parts showed up.

Lowering springs and brakes won't have any impact on the tune. Aftermarket motor mounts that are stiffer can cause false knock, so I don't usually recommend those on a daily driver. But if you want to lower the car and do other exterior mods they won't have any impact on the tune.

Yes FlashPro Manager is free to download. Unlike some other competitors who don't allow you to download the software, Hondata supplies this as a free download here https://www.hondata.com/flashpromanager. Download it and get familiar with it. If you have some questions on things in there let me know. Otherwise, if you want me to help you with the tuning process, once you're ready, I'll grab an email address from you and I will send you some things to change in the settings and a display I use to analyze datalogs.

No problem, happy to help you guys out. If you order up a FlashPro right now while you wait for other mods, let me know and we can put a quick tune together while you wait for parts. Then when you get the new parts on it we will do a complete tune as I describe in the earlier posts.
Thank you so much for your reply. After reading what you told me, I decided to get the intake and exhaust in the same period of time, after getting the flashpro. Right now I am still in stage one of my mod list. I will spend my budget on new tires, coilovers, brakes, exterior and interior detail, and different kinds of repair first to ensure it is safe and comfortable enough for daily drive. After that I will get the flashpro, probably in 1 or 2 months. I think I will do a tune with stock stuffs first. Later on I will get the intake and exhaust, install them and make another tune. I will let you know by replying this post once I got the flashpro, and we can work together at that time:):) Again thanks for your help:):)

I will download the flashpro manager first to get ready to the tune:)
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

simarkgor wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:31 am
Thank you so much for your reply. After reading what you told me, I decided to get the intake and exhaust in the same period of time, after getting the flashpro. Right now I am still in stage one of my mod list. I will spend my budget on new tires, coilovers, brakes, exterior and interior detail, and different kinds of repair first to ensure it is safe and comfortable enough for daily drive. After that I will get the flashpro, probably in 1 or 2 months. I think I will do a tune with stock stuffs first. Later on I will get the intake and exhaust, install them and make another tune. I will let you know by replying this post once I got the flashpro, and we can work together at that time:):) Again thanks for your help:):)

I will download the flashpro manager first to get ready to the tune:)
You're welcome. Sounds like a good plan. Just let me know, I am subscribed to this thread so it will alert me when you make your reply. Just keep me in the loop along the way and we'll get you set up when you're ready. Good luck with your plans on modding the car in the mean time, hopefully it all works out well.
Ricardorey5

Post by Ricardorey5 »

simarkgor wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 pm Hi there I am new to the forum. I recently just got my Civic Si Coupe 2015. It is still pretty much a stock car, and I am planning to get Invidia Q300 Exhaust and a Stunk2 Cold air intake for it. I have heard that the flashpro is one of the easiest and cheapest way to gain power and torque upgrade. I know nothing about tuning. Do I have to customize different datas on the ECU while doing the Flashpro tuning? Is there a pre-set tune that I can just plug-in and upload to the car (is it the "base map" according to what others saying)? More than that, how many gains to you guys have after tuning the car with the flashpro?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate everyone who spend time reading this.
it would be the best mod to start out with
Richard_FB6

Post by Richard_FB6 »

it was the first thing i did to mine. i love it