Knock Count Question

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
LaZzie

Knock Count Question

Post by LaZzie »

I have a 2015 civic SI with the following mods.
  • Skunk2 CAI
  • Ktuned Downpipe
  • Hasport Rear Mount
  • Invidia N1 2.75 Catback
I paid for a etunez awhile back, finished the tuning process and my car feels like a slug. I get 30ish knock counts in 30mins of driving aswell. It was tuned for 87 but I am now putting 93 in it. (knock count was higher on 87). I have ordered a KW kit, DW 300c, Stage 2 Clutch, and a Type S Oil Pump. I guess what I am getting at is am I ok with that knock count now and should I use etunez again after installing the new list of mods.

Thanks for your time and answers!
EFICU

Re: Knock Count Question

Post by EFICU »

If you can post a datalog and your calibration we can look it over for you. Without them, we can't really see where the knock is occurring and why. If it was tuned for 87 and showed knock, then you put 93 and still get knock, something wasn't addressed in the e-tune. Though with your stiffer engine mount, that could be causing false knock. Did the tuner mention anything about the knock being real or false? Given their reputation that would seem weird. If you had knock and they told you it was good to go then I would be a little shocked, but not totally surprised.

The car may feel like a slug because it is knocking, then the knock control is probably very high and it is pulling a lot of timing to try to avoid knock. Therefore, you are getting a lot of knock retard while driving which will make it feel like a slug. Granted everything else is done properly of course.

Anyways, post a datalog if you have one so we can look at it. Then we can try to help you get the tune better or help you redo if needed. AS far as having them retune it, if you're not happy with the tune you have right now from them, I wouldn't give them another chance you know. There are plenty of tuners that can help you. Are you in a remote area where dyno tuning isn't available? With a boosted setup, a dyno tune is always the best bet, granted from a reputable place. Sometimes you have to drive a long way to get it done right, but it's worth it in the end. But let me know.
LaZzie

Post by LaZzie »

I can upload the last log file from the tuning process and get another one later today or tomorrow morning if needed.

Thanks for your time!

note this is a log from when I was on 87.
Attachments
DustinE.Rev5.ColdStart.fpdl
(232.29 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
DustinE.Rev5.29mRide.fpdl
(729.11 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
DustinE.Rev5.3rdWOT.fpdl
(12.72 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
LaZzie

Post by LaZzie »

Sorry for the double post but I also sent you a PM titled "LaZzie's Tune" with the tune included.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Definitely has a lot of knock, and perhaps other things that might not be ideal. I requested access to the calibration you PM'd, so let me know. Then I can look it over in detail.
LaZzie

Post by LaZzie »

You are quick! Awesome response times... I have also responded via email and we can continue there if you'd like!

Thanks again for the help!
9thgenlost

Post by 9thgenlost »

Who did the original tune?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

9thgenlost wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:07 am Who did the original tune?
Sorry, neither of us would say. We keep that stuff off the forums to try to be professional.
LaZzie

Post by LaZzie »

As stated I'd rather not say because it is just my single experience and I wouldn't want to cause problems with said tuners.