2012 SI calibration help

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
EFICU

Re: 2012 SI calibration help

Post by EFICU »

Looks pretty good. I took a little bigger swing at the MAF scaling on this next one, so it should be pretty dialed there. WOT fuel need some more work, and the ignition for some knock. it's coming together though...

Same datalog and driving style.
Flipsi.Hybrid.Rev04.fpcal
(24.33 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

Here's the next datalog. It felt pretty good. I think I felt a little something on the WOT 3rd gear pull, but I'm not 100% sure. It could've been imperfections on the road, but who knows, ha.
Attachments
FLIPSI.HYBRID.DATALOG04.fpdl
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 62 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Looks really good. The bigger swing on the MAF scale worked out good. I touched it up one more time just to tighten it up a percent or two. The WOT fuel was pretty much dead on, I made a few quarter percent changes there too. We should be just about there on this one. I didn't see anything weird on the WOT pull, so it must have been something in the road, hopefully.

I also just noticed in this one that I didn't have anything in the ignition retard compensation for temperature, so I put the ignition back in it from Rev01 and we will reinspect for knock in WOT conditions. Basically it wasn't pulling a couple degrees based on your intake temps like we want it to, so I put those values in so it will. But I put the ignition back in it so we can look over it again. So we'll see how it looks in this next one. Should be super close here.
Flipsi.Hybrid.Rev05.fpcal
(24.29 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

This one felt really good! I did two 3rd gear WOT because the knock counts on the 1st one seemed to be maybe a "fluke"?? Thanks again...
Attachments
FLIPSI.HYBRID.DATALOG05.fpdl
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yep, it looked really good. The part throttle one did look like a fluke, but I touched it up just a bit to get it there. This datalog had some of your coolest intake temps yet, well 100* F, but compared to some other datalogs of yours this was the coolest I think. So I made that ignition change as this is the lowest temp the compensation tables have seen. The other ones on the WOT pull were probably legit, so I again pulled 1* right there to see if we can keep it knock free. Other than that, I made a couple .25% fuel changes on WOT and that was it, part throttle MAF scale was dead on again.

We're splitting hairs and nit picking at this point, glad it feels good finally, it's all in the details.

Test this one out and see how it looks.
Flipsi.Hybrid.Rev06.fpcal
(24.29 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

Yeah temps here in Texas have been cooling down to the low 80's at night. That's when I've been trying to do the datalogs so the traffic isn't so crazy. I'll upload this here in a little bit and see how it goes.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah the stock airbox gets hot and usually stays hot, especially on a very hot day. If you ever do an intake, which I think we talked a bit before, try to get it as far away from the exhaust as you can and behind the bumper if possible. The Texas heat is no joke, but then again you guys get some good rain too, so you get the full spectrum of weather.
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

Here's this datalog. This one felt great! It was doing really well with no knock counts until the lone 1 came up when I was decelerating. Other than that, the three 3rd gear pulls felt great, haha. Traffic was actually pretty light tonight, so the roads were mostly open for me to datalog away.
Attachments
FLIPSI.HYBRID.DATALOG06.fpdl
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Looks really good man. The knock actually happened on the gear change, which your car has done a few times now, and I've experienced on a few 9th gens. I am still trying to determine the best way to stop it, but I think I might have come up with a good way now working on your. I made some changes for that in this next one, so we will see how it goes. Other than that, it looked killer. WOT fuel was pretty much dead on, and the MAF scale is still looking great. The only adjustment I made was to the ignition for the knock on the gear change, so power shouldn't be impacted at all. Take this one for a drive and see what you think.
Flipsi.Hybrid.Rev07.fpcal
(24.26 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Also, not sure how interested you are in power numbers. But I've been running your pulls through Virtual Dyno just to see how it looks. Take them all with a grain of salt, the numbers can be skewed for whatever reason, it's just a reference. But here are the last three runs on the VD software. I will assume the Rev04 might have been slightly downhill based on the midrange torque and power, but who knows. I didn't make changes between the files to make that much of a difference in power. If the numbers are close, it seems to be pulling pretty good for just a catback.
Attachments
FlipSI Dyno 4-5-6.jpg
FlipSI Dyno 4-5-6.jpg (100.4 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

Ok, thats makes sense. I only noticed a few knocks from these past couple datalogs occurring during upshifts. I wonder what it is about the 9th gens that causes this? Weird.
But, yeah, driving felt awesome last night, way better than stock! Driveability feels better, more responsive overall than before I got the Flashpro. I'll get this uploaded and hopefully the random upshift knocks go away.
Power numbers are nice. You can see what how mods can help or hurt. Curious, what kind of power does a 9th gen Si make to the wheels stock? I've never looked for baseline power on these. I know my 99 EM1 made 145hp and 103tq back in 2000 with a short ram intake, DC Sports 4-2-1 header and a Tanabe Racing Medallion. Not crazy power, but that was a super fun car to drive. Then I turbo charged it 5 years later with 200k miles on it, ha. Considering the mileage, it made good, reliable power on a conservative tune, 270hp and 178tq and it got 35mpg, haha.
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

Here's the last datalog. This one was great, no knocks anywhere to be found.
Attachments
FLIPSI.HYBRID.DATALOG07.fpdl
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I don't know 100% why 9ths are prone to it on the shift. The only thing I can think of is how the midrange is already sensitive to knock because of how the intake manifold is setup on these cars. When you shift, the ignition transitions through the midrange and peaks in columns 1-2 where the ignition is the highest. That in turn causes it to spike on the shifts. I think on yours, I learned a little bit about adjusting for knock and it will help stop the gear shift knock too. Every once in a while you learn a little something.

I've had two EM1's, so I know what you mean. I still think it's one of the greatest cars ever made. Not too many you can have that much fun with that gets 28mpg in town and 34+ or whatever on the highway. Plus a sunroof, AC, no ABS though, why Honda, haha. But yeah I love those cars and miss mine. My 8th gen was probably the closest I have had to enjoying a car just as much.

So yeah, that datalog looked great. Part throttle stuff looked great, WOT was pretty much dead on, and no knock as you said. Go ahead and make another datalog tomorrow or Wednesday and post it up so we can take a look at it. Either way, keep datalogging and if you see a knock let me know. But either way, post up another datalog on Wednesday or something so I can look it over and see how it is over a few days time. We might be there, I just like to make sure they look good over a few days to a week.
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

That makes sense about the manifold. I’ll make a couple datalogs this week and post them up. Hopefully everything looks is as good as it feels. Thanks again!
Flipsi

Post by Flipsi »

Here are a couple datalogs I did. The first one is from yesterday afternoon and the second one is from today around the same time(2-3pm). The calibration felt great on both days! I didn't get a 3rd gear WOT pull on #8 but I was able to get one on #9. Curious If I were to get an exhaust, no downpipe, later down the road, do you think I will need to get retuned? Thanks again!
Attachments
FLIPSI.HYBRID.DATALOG08.fpdl
(2.17 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
FLIPSI.HYBRID.DATALOG09.fpdl
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

An exhaust might change it a little big, but nothing to cause too much of a difference. It would be good to touch it up if there are any big chunks. With the stock cat in there, it won't change things too much because that is the majority of the bottleneck, but it would be good to check. It can be as easy as touching up the fueling, and/or locking on one cam angle at a time to fill out each table to see if it wants some more cam angle. Long story short, just keep me in the loop if you want some help with it in the future. Then we can go from there. If for some reason I don't see a post from you, my email is in the "calibration" tab if the files I send you.

Overall the datalogs looked good. I made some small adjustments to the MAF scale to tighten it up. Everything else looked really good. If you can, make a datalog or two this weekend if you have some time. If they look good, we can call it good to go.
Flipsi.Hybrid.Rev08.fpcal
(24.42 KiB) Downloaded 66 times