1st Gen RDX Autotune

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2007-2012 Acura RDX
kraftwerksfit

Re: 1st Gen RDX Autotune

Post by kraftwerksfit »

LOL at least you got further than I did with getting a response by the person I wanted to ACTUALLY hear from... PM me as maybe we can get this worked out. I was working with Jeff Evans in a way, as I purchased his Evans Performance Academy training video access so he was responding in the RDX video comment section. He showed and stated exactly what you read me post that the MAP box is to be checked and that MAF box is to be unchecked for it to work... the super shitty thing is just getting those fuel maps decent enough to get the vehicle to start/idle... Jeff Evans had me apply 40% fuel to the provided table and lock cam angle to 0 degrees, I attempted to adjust up or down in 10% increments until the constantly dying vehicle fouled my plugs.👎

At that point I pulled the IC and cleaned the plugs but as we actually need to use this vehicle simi-daily I can fine tune the CAL but I can't have it go down like that so have stopped progress as of now. Good luck getting anyone running MAP based CAL to post their CAL, you should know now that the owners of these vehicles aren't the same mindset as you and I but rather pay Rob to do the tune (in person or remote) and his CAL's are password locked. I have not given up as I still have an upgraded turbo and injectors collecting dust in the garage which kills me.

Also what kills me is the response or lack thereof in my thread... sell a device, claim it can do MAP but not outline HOW the CAL is to be setup to do so or the procedure to fill in the fuel tables as an end user as their tuning guide covers so clear other aspects, just "go find a tuner". If they don't/can't provide a better base CAL with fuel table data that is understandable since it was an added feature but come on and clearly provide the data/procedure for the user to do it themself is all we're asking.
RaH

Post by RaH »

Haha. Well firstly thank you for your honest input. I have decided to unlock the rdx from the pro and give it to my wife to drive and get a cheap 05 06 accord with the k24 manual. Since the rdx has so much limitations and lack of support and rnd, i am gonna just pass on this project. Its a unicorn to be honest but nevertheless fun to drive. I am also selling my fpro. If you know anyone...let me know. I am in Canada Ontario btw so shipping cost extra and unit $95 usd off..Maybe i'll go for a aem infinity this time cause who knows how deep the rabbit hole of hopes and dreams are with kpro.

Thanks again for your reply. I was not alone in this endeavor.lol
kraftwerksfit

Post by kraftwerksfit »

RaH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 pm Haha. Well firstly thank you for your honest input. I have decided to unlock the rdx from the pro and give it to my wife to drive and get a cheap 05 06 accord with the k24 manual. Since the rdx has so much limitations and lack of support and rnd, i am gonna just pass on this project. Its a unicorn to be honest but nevertheless fun to drive. I am also selling my fpro. If you know anyone...let me know. I am in Canada Ontario btw so shipping cost extra and unit $95 usd off..Maybe i'll go for a aem infinity this time cause who knows how deep the rabbit hole of hopes and dreams are with kpro.

Thanks again for your reply. I was not alone in this endeavor.lol
To be fair, Hondata flashpro is very capable and MAF isn't that bad of an option and is very simple to tune. The problem is when you push past the MAF's voltage threshold which some of us are or trying to do. Just running flashpro with a stock RDX is a huge improvement over stock and the first limitation is the stock injectors which with just an intake are right up at 80% duty cycle... plan to run a down pipe or exhaust? Then plan on injectors. I wouldn't say there are "limitations" I would say it is a lack of support/info on a product that is still being sold... I get it they probably sell 1 every month or two for this platform, if they were moving 50-100 units a month it would be a completely different story for user support.
RaH

Post by RaH »

Have you tried the lamda overlay function on stock af sensor? I got the pro and the first thing I did was an intake from af dynamics and scaled it as per hondata help drop tab in fpro. Running close as I can get to +/- 1% in multiple runs. But the overlay function in difference always show boost areas need 7-8% fuel all the way to 21% up the boost range low and high. So I was thinking what is up with it?.. Stock everything but just scaled to even better than stock afm scale reading. So I thought ok maybe I screwed up something. Then took the af intake off went back to stock setup, stock calibration. Guess what still the same overlay reading. Wtf? Might I add the car seem to run much better torque and fuel wise in stock. I tried "stock tuned, k&n" calib, all seemed like the "o shit" now its gonna rip. NOP loud a$$ fast spools but not torquey as it was in stock form.. Seemed like all noise and no go ricer style. Again stock factory lamda target tables but why the overlay difference looks like its running the same shit lean condition in boost areas. Nothing out of the ordinary in the diaplay and log comparison but the overlay read crap lean and always the same reading. I will take a log again on my way to work and post calibration here with log. Everything is stock setup. Nothing messed with. O yes did I meantion I tried to change the lamda target too both for af intake and stock setup fearing something would blow up. According to overlay reading I had targets set rich as .69 lamda. Wait a minute this aint right... So again back to factory stock calib now and happy. Its either I have tons to learn about flashpro/something is ghostly wrong with the vehicle itself that no pid reading has proven yet/overlay sucks on stock af sensor, or my settings are wrong that are for the most part 98% left untouched.

Lastly theres is a ghost knock mostly on cylinder 2. That pull time but I dont think there is a fault. I was think to trip back time by 1 just that cylinder but now after all that^^^^ i am afraid something will actually go wrong this time. So hail to stock again.

I know it was long one.lol sorry!
RaH

Post by RaH »

Here they are...
Attachments
Stock calibration from HD.fpcal
(19 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Screenshot (287).png
Screenshot (287).png (228.7 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Screenshot (286).png
Screenshot (286).png (227.87 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
datalog0001.fpdl
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
kraftwerksfit

Post by kraftwerksfit »

RaH, sorry I didn't see that you have replied and don't check here often, I have also not done any attempts to get speed density working as I haven't had the time.

As to your post " I see target as rich as .69 lambda", yes you probably are seeing that as the target which equals 10.14 AFR and not something like 11.76 which is most likely the value in most of your higher boost columns high fuel target lambda cells right? This is because the AFM scaling is off from modified parts (intake/exhaust/bigger turbo etc).

The first thing you should do is take whatever cal file you are comfortable with, sounds like (stock cal) is working alright? Now with that cal unaltered go to "calibration"tab then click "sensors" then "AFM", in this window you have the scaling table for the air fuel meter and you will want this to read correctly so click the box with green line through it(under the word "live") which brings up the table. From here you can see the bell curve it has, for me I already know the car was going to run leaner because of the true 3" CIA I made so I scaled the curve up before a baseline log. Keep in mind also if under "boost control" you request higher than stock boost pressure you will be near or at the end of this bell curve for AFM and why speed density is what we really want to be using because the AFM voltage is maxed out.

***always keep this bell curve smooth when editing!***

Anyway... you can scale the curve right now or set up for the first datalog, I would go "under closed loop" and set short term min/max -50/+50 and long term fuel trim min/max -0/+0, it will make the math to get the AFM scaling easy. Now upload this to the ECM then go datalog. When done go to "display" and make sure you have these 6 for viewing OPEN-Closed loop/AFM.v/VTEC(on/off)/AFR/AFRCMD/STFT now playing the log edit AFM.v table, you should see the relevant data on the "displays". Use STFT to correct each cell.Edit and log working the AFM.v table so what the display AFR reading is extremely close to AFRCMD reading.

***You will also only want to modify the AFM.v table if no compensation modifiers are being used in the log such as coolant temp comp, IAT temp comp fuel enrichment etc***

Once this AFM table is dialed the WOT lambda low/high tables (your last 2 screen shots showing corrections) will command the correct AFR requested in each cell. - Those corrections are for tuning the speed density fueling tables per cell and not relevant tuning MAF calibrations.

-Things to note low/high is referring to low=noVTEC high=VTEC
-cam timing can be much improved over the mild advance in those provided cals
-you will still see knock counts until tuning knock/spark timing tables, I see knock counts on bone stock car on stock .cal file...
-"live tune" is only for speed density AFAIK, also it is OK at best... much better to use fuel change overlay over the fuel tables from a datalog.

Hopefully that was able to be followed... very distracting in this house with 3 kids, must have came back to type this up 6 times now. haha

Better yet here is a modified .cal that you can open and view side by side against the hondata offerings, which should give you a base for what changes I have made so far. I haven't even touched the spark timing/knock tables (no time...) which is what you are seeing in your last post about cylinder 2. The stock table logic is fighting itself if you read the flashpro help section and is based around fuel octane and is very aggressive retarding and sensitivity affecting knock counts (counter productive).
Attachments
Matts display.display
(12.85 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
RDX 410cc optimized MAF work in progress.fpcal
(19.4 KiB) Downloaded 105 times