Understanding boost control

Civic 2016+ 1.5 Turbo
ukmugenfk7

Understanding boost control

Post by ukmugenfk7 »

So i am still on factory boost and i am wanting to increase TCMPR but still trying to work out the best way to do it. So my questions are :

1) Increase table values : is this as simple as upping the table values within the rpm ranges im wanting more power? i.e 3000-5500rpm

2) once i have changed my values and performed a WOT data log ,

What if my BP/BPCMD does not read my new target.. what do i need to adjust to help the boost hit targets?

3) Also how best to read these targets? Should they always match the current highlighted TC value in the table?

I am a manual 1.5t non si with the following

. factory boost improved mid range curve 2.1bar top end
. 1000rpm idle speed
. AFM fueling and tables calibrated
. torque limit set to 260nm on hondata mode
. TC limit tables set to 2.3bar

Thanks,
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Understanding boost control

Post by Hondata »

The generic approach is to decide if you have a torque limit and what it is, and then adjust the limit tables until you reach the target. There are multiple tables which limit torque, so without know what calibration you started with and what you have changed I can't tell you what to change because I don't know what the limiting table it. I'd suggest using the boost by gear table as the main torque control.

If you want to know what table is limiting your torque then go through them and reduce each one by about 10% and see if that reduces boost. If not, reset the table and move on to the next one.

There are no targets for BPCMD - only limits. And if BP does not match BPCMD that indicates a boost leak or an overspeed turbo.
Hondata
ukmugenfk7

Re: Understanding boost control

Post by ukmugenfk7 »

Thanks hondata, that makes more sense to use the limit tables and reduce until i see a difference. Sadly ive only just read this and today i learnt this out by myself lol

So i decided to adjust my TCMPR table to target 2.28bar (18.85psi) peak and taper off, and change my TC IAT / PA/ BBG all to 2.3 bar and tried it out.

So during a wot pull i reached around 4000rpm and hit a few warning lights ( engine managememt/vsa/power steering) i was worried i overboosted and once safetly home at light cruise, i checked out my datalogg and i hitt BP/BPCMD 2.44 bar at 4000rpm where as my TCMPR table value was highlighted on 2.28 bar so im assuming the TC limit tables caused this warning lights and was protecting my turbo?

I have reduced all TCMPR values down to target around 2.2 bar and change TC limits to 2.4 bar but left BBG at 2.3 bar so i will see what my BP / BPCMD ends up reading. Am i using these correctly ??