Traction Control Not Working

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
nYdGeo

Traction Control Not Working

Post by nYdGeo »

Good day! The traction control does not appear to be working for me. I'm using the tune that comes with FlashPro for 93 octane, (PRL) Intercooler, with no rev hang, reduced power in 1st and 2nd gear and traction control with no wheel-spin selected, so the traction control should be fully implemented in first gear (I do not drag race from a stop) and be controlling reduced torque in the lowest two gears. Yet, even rolling on the throttle from a slow roll, I still get fairly wild wheel-spin in first gear and some, though far less, in second gear. It's eating up my Pilot Sports (4S).

I thought maybe doing it straight from FlashPro was the problem, so I followed the instructions and saved it as a calibration, then re-flashed it from my laptop. This did not change the results. Any ideas?
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Traction Control Not Working

Post by Hondata »

What was your stock ECU calibration ID? If you don't know then send the help feedback with the FlashPro plugged in.
Hondata
nYdGeo

Post by nYdGeo »

Thank you for your reply. Will do when I return home from work.
jimalan1989

Post by jimalan1989 »

make sure you don't have the cruise main on. this will cause the traction control no to work.. the only reason I say this is because I turned my cruise on and then could not figure out why the traction control quit working on me. After some research I found turning the cruise on disables traction control
nYdGeo

Post by nYdGeo »

Excellent. I'll check that as well. Thank you!
shadow.ctr

Post by shadow.ctr »

My traction control doesn't seem to be working too. I installed the 93 Octane, downpipe, intercooler tune. Traction control came checked. Nothing was changed. FlashPro Ver 3.4.8.0

Cruise control main switch was off (not lit), I went WOT on 3rd gear. When traction control lights up, the car bogs down. The throttle plate closed and boost dropped. It is doing the slow torque method of traction control of the factory ecu. Attached is a log.

My stock ecu is 37820-5BF-M03.
Attachments
Traction Control.fpdl
(320.45 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Please download the most recent version of software form the website: https://www.hondata.com/software
shadow.ctr

Post by shadow.ctr »

I've downloaded version 3.5.3.0, updated the calibration on the FP, and re-uploaded to the ECU. Traction control is still being done the slow torque method.

Attached is a log.

ECU is 37820-5BF-M03.
Attachments
Traction Control 2020-03-15.fpdl
(370.75 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What do you mean by being done the slow torque method?

Post your calibration as well.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Also please test the functioning of the rolling anti-lag by enabling that in software and then briefly pressing the cancel button when cruising at over 2000 rpm. You should feel the engine misfire.
Hondata
shadow.ctr

Post by shadow.ctr »

Spunkster wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:07 am What do you mean by being done the slow torque method?

Post your calibration as well.
Here is my calibration.

Slow torque method is as described in the FP help file. I quote it below:

The difference between Hondata software traction control and factory VSA is that the factory VSA reduces power by the so called 'slow torque' method. This means that it will close the throttle plate and with turbo vehicles, reduce boost. The 'slow torque' method is slow to both reduce power and bring back in power once the wheel slip is reduced. Hondata software traction control reduces power to the 'fast torque' method, which is basically retarding the ignition timing to reduce power. The advantage of this method is that the power reduction is instant and also the power and be bought back in instantly. The disadvantage of fast torque reduction is that at high power reduction levels the engine will misfire, which causes no damage but will make the exhaust pop, which is unacceptable for OEM applications. Also the Hondata software traction is under your control whereas the factory VSA is fixed in parameters and operation.

As stated in one of Hondata's videos, you can tell if traction control is "Slow Torque" by looking at the datalog of throttle pedal and throttle plate position. If the pedal stays at 100% and the plate closes, it is "Slow Torque".
Attachments
93 DP IC.fpcal
(17.75 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
shadow.ctr

Post by shadow.ctr »

Hondata wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 pm Also please test the functioning of the rolling anti-lag by enabling that in software and then briefly pressing the cancel button when cruising at over 2000 rpm. You should feel the engine misfire.
It may take a while before I can try that. We are not allowed to leave our homes due to a COVID-19 lockdown. 29 days to go. :(
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

For testing traction control do not rely on the throttle plate behavior. Disable VSA fully and then test.

I know this is obvious, but make sure cruise control is off.
Hondata
shadow.ctr

Post by shadow.ctr »

I happen to have made a test with VSA fully off and cruise control off. Traction control seems to be working. Traction Control Target Slip is set at 6%. It is a 2nd to 3rd gear pull.

Observation: Boost is maintained. I feel an almost imperceptible power loss. It seems to be doing the "Fast Torque" method. Please check the attached datalog because I cannot tell.

I am trying to understand how to use FP's Traction Control. In the CivicX forums, I read the following: "Do I need to switch off the factory VSA? No." However, I could feel the big power loss when TC kicks in.

Should VSA be fully off to get the best performance from FP's TC?
Attachments
Traction Control 2020-03-15 VSA Full Off.fpdl
(298.12 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
shadow.ctr

Post by shadow.ctr »

When I analyzed the datalog further, TC Slip goes over 10% and sometimes 20%.