Start in "Comfort" mode?

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
hifi

Start in "Comfort" mode?

Post by hifi »

I've searched this specific forum a couple of times looking for the keyword "Comfort" and I really am surprised this hasn't already been requested. Since the "Start in +R mode" feature is there, can we get a "Start in comfort mode" as well? If not, what are the limitations? Seems like if you can get one, the other would be accessible?
Start in +R mode.jpg
Start in +R mode.jpg (2.5 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
There are many situations where this would be useful. I like the +R option for my 93 octane tune, but for example, on long roadtrips out of state where 93 octane isn't as accessible, my plan is the 2nd slot on my flashpro will contain the 91 octane basemap...with hopefully the "Comfort" option available.

Thanks!

hifi
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Start in "Comfort" mode?

Post by Spunkster »

This is not an option, as most people never use comfort mode because it has not power and is miserable to drive in. All you have to do is start the car and put it into comfort mode if you want to.
hifi

Post by hifi »

Spunkster wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 am This is not an option, as most people never use comfort mode because it has not power and is miserable to drive in. All you have to do is start the car and put it into comfort mode if you want to.
Hi Spunkster, I think that is your personal opinion, and I respect that. But I personally know several Type R owners (including myself) that use comfort mode on longer road trips quite frequently, especially when using ACC etc. and traveling between events and so forth. This car was built for the track, but just about everyone daily drives as well. The comfort mode feature is well-used and I'm certainly glad Honda included it as an option.

That said, I would think you should have access to that mode changing option as there is clearly access to the +R mode option. As your customer, I am simply making a request for this. (And if you search the type r forums out there, I'm definitely not alone in this request).

I mean, by your logic here, what is the point in having a "Start in +R mode"? All you have to do is start the car and put it in +R mode if you want to right?

Of all the answers I was expecting from Hondata support, this was the last thing I would have thought the response would be? If there is a programing/logistics/hardware reason for it, I'd understand, but it doesn't sound like that is the case?

At any rate, my request is there if possible, I would love to see this as an option for the reasons I've given in the original post. If others on this board would like to see this as an option (i.e. to flash between race and travel modes or for just basic daily driver reasons) please do chime in!

Best regards,
hifi
Rares

Post by Rares »

I also need this feature, I prefer to drive in comfort mode until the engine warms up.
FK8_K20c1

Post by FK8_K20c1 »

hifi wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:27 am
Spunkster wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 am This is not an option, as most people never use comfort mode because it has not power and is miserable to drive in. All you have to do is start the car and put it into comfort mode if you want to.
Hi Spunkster, I think that is your personal opinion, and I respect that. But I personally know several Type R owners (including myself) that use comfort mode on longer road trips quite frequently, especially when using ACC etc. and traveling between events and so forth. This car was built for the track, but just about everyone daily drives as well. The comfort mode feature is well-used and I'm certainly glad Honda included it as an option.

That said, I would think you should have access to that mode changing option as there is clearly access to the +R mode option. As your customer, I am simply making a request for this. (And if you search the type r forums out there, I'm definitely not alone in this request).

I mean, by your logic here, what is the point in having a "Start in +R mode"? All you have to do is start the car and put it in +R mode if you want to right?

Of all the answers I was expecting from Hondata support, this was the last thing I would have thought the response would be? If there is a programing/logistics/hardware reason for it, I'd understand, but it doesn't sound like that is the case?

At any rate, my request is there if possible, I would love to see this as an option for the reasons I've given in the original post. If others on this board would like to see this as an option (i.e. to flash between race and travel modes or for just basic daily driver reasons) please do chime in!

Best regards,
hifi
I second this.
Semin1907

Post by Semin1907 »

+1
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Sorry, not going to happen without a lot of work. The method to set the initial mode can only choose between one of two values (sport and +R). Why not change it so it can choose between sport and comfort or sport and +R? Because that is not two options but a mash of 2x2 and would involve adding a whole new parameter type which is a large amount of work over all the models we support along with substantial regression testing, calibration update code and then ongoing support. Sometimes what seems like a simple change is complex underneath.
Hondata
ayau

Post by ayau »

Isn't toggling into comfort mode just a CAN message? If it is, can you just have the FlashPro send the proper CAN message when it detects the engine is on?
hifi

Post by hifi »

Hondata wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:07 am Sorry, not going to happen without a lot of work. The method to set the initial mode can only choose between one of two values (sport and +R). Why not change it so it can choose between sport and comfort or sport and +R? Because that is not two options but a mash of 2x2 and would involve adding a whole new parameter type which is a large amount of work over all the models we support along with substantial regression testing, calibration update code and then ongoing support. Sometimes what seems like a simple change is complex underneath.
At work, when faced with these types of "challenges" my manager simply turns to me and says "that's why we pay you the big bucks".

That said, can you imagine the new levels of customization you would be offering your customers here? Unbelievable.

For example, there is a lot of discussion surrounding the fact that Honda did not allow for decoupling of the drive modes (i.e. independent suspension, steering and TR/torque maps with Comfort, Sport and R+)

If you do have the "start in comfort mode" I'd easily love to also see improved throttle response in comfort mode. You know what that does? That would be amazing to have comfort suspension (which is more than stiff enough for road conditions, I also own a 2020 Sport Touring Hatch as noted in the 1.5T threads and comfort in the Type R is way stiffer, and that sport touring is fun on the road in terms of handling!) and add the +R torque maps to the comfort mode...then for road driving you sacrifice nothing!

Think of the combinations you could provide! Wow...remember, some folks out there are tuning for efficiency, some (seriously) for improved MPG etc. so not everyone just wants max HP...simply to have full control over customization of their vehicle.

Thanks for your support as always, this is IMO the best tuning product on the market for the 10th Gen Hondas by far...just trying to help give feedback to keep it that way.

Cheers!

hifi
ayau

Post by ayau »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the challenge with this stuff is Hondata is essentially reverse engineering the factory ECU and ensure it doesn’t break other functionalities. For example, the fk8 ECU has security to prevent unauthorized devices from accessing it. Honda isn’t giving Hondata the encryption key to freely access the ecu. It sounds a lot easier said than done.

Last I checked, one of the competitor to Hondata can’t even read knock retard messages, which is a huge turn off when tuning this ECU.

It would be completely different if Hondata was considered from the design phase, which isn’t the case here.