How to get the special Turbo Noise?

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
oasisfan

How to get the special Turbo Noise?

Post by oasisfan »

Hi,

I tried some different Maps for my FK8 here in Europe and i´m very happy so far, i changed to Hondata from another Tunermap coz i like it that i can change to basemap myself if i need it(law). But since i changed to hondatda maps my nice turbo whisteling noise is gone, i had it when when a closed throttle around 0.1-0.3 bar boost, is there a way to program that?
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: How to get the special Turbo Noise?

Post by Hondata »

What sort of noise? An oscillation when you close the throttle and the turbo goes into surge?

I've not sure if the ECU can change the turbo whistle noise as that is just the intake in use and the turbo speed.
Hondata
oasisfan

Post by oasisfan »

Yes it´s a kind of oscillation sound but only when you close the throttle on low boost pressure.
I have an eventuri intake and i had that sound with my old map from a tuner around here, so i thought it must be possible to program that also with hondata.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

When the throttle closes, a pressure wave travels back down the charge pipe until it reaches the turbo compressor. The pressure wave causes the compressor to stall, so boost pressure drops, then eventually the compressor flow re-attaches and the turbo makes boost again. The process repeats as the pressure wave travels back and forward, which is the sound you can hear. This is called 'surge' and normally is something you should avoid.
Hondata