Slow to build boost

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
sloth4urluv

Slow to build boost

Post by sloth4urluv »

I've been noticing that over the time span of several months my car seems to be taking longer to build boost.
I don't seem to be hearing any obvious boost leak though.
Additionally when I checked the datalog I seem to be having a small amount of knock under boost that I never had before.

Within the datalog the behavior around 8:40 seems to be different from around 10:40
Sloth4urluv-Datalog.png
Sloth4urluv-Datalog.png (64.33 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Attachments
Sloth4urluv-Calibration.fpcal
(20.4 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
07-22-2021_To_Work.fpdl
(3.65 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Slow to build boost

Post by Hondata »

Different starting rpm range for each pull and different gears. Boost is high and ignition timing is low so it might be better with less boost and more ignition timing.
Hondata
sloth4urluv

Post by sloth4urluv »

Hondata wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:18 am Different starting rpm range for each pull and different gears. Boost is high and ignition timing is low so it might be better with less boost and more ignition timing.
Any idea what could be causing the boost to be so high?
My calibration is attached and as far as I know it is essentially the same calibration I have been using for years. It is pretty much the base 93 map that you guys provided with the torque target tables adjusted so that comfort is stock, sport is halfway in between, and +R is what was in the 93 tune.

I currently have the stock equivalent tune loaded and will upload some data logs later.
sloth4urluv

Post by sloth4urluv »

So I’m pretty sure I solved what my issue was and it was a lot dumber than I expected…

A few months ago I put on the PRL HVI intake and was not happy with the tune for it so I took it off and put the stock box back in. Everything was fine at first but I noticed that the car wasn’t building the same level of boost slowly over the course of several months.

I went to check that all the piping between the box and intake pipe was secure and had no leaks when I noticed that one of the nipples holding the rubber snorkel tube between the air inlet and filter box was not properly seated (radiator side). This was creating a small gap that was sucking hot air into the intake system.

My IAT2 readings are significantly lower now especially when coming to a stop. I am honestly surprised how much of an impact that small gap was having.

I’m guessing what was happening was that over the course of several months the temperature outside was increasing eventually to the point where the ECU was pulling timing and boost.

I’m assuming the sensor is not available to you, but it would be nice if we could log OAT as well to view the IATs with a better perspective.

I think I am going to look into fabricating some sort of heat shield and put on some reflective tape as well.