Factory Settings map with ethanol input enabled?

FK2 Civic Type R 2015-2017, FK8 Civic Type R 2017-2021, FL5 Civic Type R 2023+ and Integra Type S 2024+
chasewd

Factory Settings map with ethanol input enabled?

Post by chasewd »

I recently installed the PRL flex fuel kit on my 2019 FK8 (US) and I’ve been running the 93 flex fuel map. The power is fun but for daily and track use I am considering going back to factory settings.

Is it possible for me to reflash to factory settings and also retain the ability to mix ethanol in? I see the factory settings map but I’m hesitant to add in modifications on the next screen. (See settings below)

Would stock power levels allow me to run more ethanol? I settled with e25/e30 on the 93 map but I want to run more at stock power levels just for fun if the fuel system will allow.

Finally, are there any concerns running more ethanol? Anything I should consider in terms of reliability? The fuel pump recall has been done on the car.

I’d like to use:
+ ethanol input enabled
+ disable P2183
+ flex fuel support (needed?)
+ pump gas 10% ethanol
+ stock fuel pump
+ PRL HVI Intake
+ stock rev limiter
+ improved response

My mods:
PRL intercooler
PRL charge pipes
PRL Intake
PRL flex fuel kit
Koyo Radiator
Grille delete

Other than a set of wheels the car is otherwise completely stock.
FK8_Hoonigan

Re: Factory Settings map with ethanol input enabled?

Post by FK8_Hoonigan »

I am legit confused!
You have put over $3200 in parts modifying the car with "Performance" parts, but you do not want the performance? makes no sense.

Why not remove all the parts, return ECU to stock and sell the parts. The OTS maps Hondata already provides you are very reliable as they are a bit conservative.

What are you really after?
2021 R-39464
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Make sure you inspect that flex fuel kit.
Hondata
chasewd

Post by chasewd »

FK8_Hoonigan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:49 pm I am legit confused!
You have put over $3200 in parts modifying the car with "Performance" parts, but you do not want the performance? makes no sense.

Why not remove all the parts, return ECU to stock and sell the parts. The OTS maps Hondata already provides you are very reliable as they are a bit conservative.

What are you really after?
To be honest I really just want to mess with the car and try different setups for what I use it for. Yes the car is fast and I love driving it as it is but for the most part I bought it just to cruise around and take it to the track. My modifications aren't related to sound or peak numbers - really I just wanted to improve some areas of the car that I felt were worth it.

I sold my bolt-ons mk7 GTI and picked this up. 10/10 so far and I've put 13,000 miles on it in a little over 3 months of ownership :)
chasewd

Post by chasewd »

Hondata wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:38 pm Make sure you inspect that flex fuel kit.
Can you elaborate a bit? I picked the PRL kit up within the last month and maybe have 1,200 miles on the setup.
I've also seen people running the Sirimoto kit but I chose PRL just because I was ordering another item with them.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

There is an assembly defect on (some? all?) of the PRL flex fuel kit which contaminates the fuel system. We've had it damage low pressure pumps, high pressure pumps and injectors - it's worth inspecting your fuel lines.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/us ... st-1034759

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/flex-fuel-kit-user-notice/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/fl ... ice.65541/
Hondata
chasewd

Post by chasewd »

Hondata wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:48 pm There is an assembly defect on (some? all?) of the PRL flex fuel kit which contaminates the fuel system. We've had it damage low pressure pumps, high pressure pumps and injectors - it's worth inspecting your fuel lines.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/us ... st-1034759

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/flex-fuel-kit-user-notice/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/fl ... ice.65541/

I had no idea this was going on - thank you for sharing!
I'll plan on inspecting the lines shortly and will probably end up ordering a replacement set from PRL while they figure out their potential upgrade kit.

Related to my original post I am still considering the factory settings map. At minimum I'd like to avoid uninstalling flex fuel (at least the wiring) but it would also be cool if it could adjust for ethanol. I assume those mods being checked work as I would expect since that map is in the same list as the 93/flex fuel maps and I'm not using the "return to stock" functionality.
chasewd

Post by chasewd »

I also have a couple screenshots handy. As of now I have not flashed this to the car and I just want to confirm this combination would work similar to how it does on the 93 map. I'm not after power, just flexibility (no pun intended)

Here's where I found the factory settings map:

and here are the mods I have checked on the following screen:

Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Yes you can run the 'factory settings' as well as ethanol, but then you would need to set up the ignition and ethanol compensation tables yourself to get it to run correctly. I'm not sure if just checking all the mods as you have done would work in the same way. Best to use the flex fuel 93 octane calibration.

Tell me again why you want to run 'factory settings' rather than a tuned calibration? There's zero advantages as far as I can see - the tuned calibration will be easier on the engine than stock. And to get it right with ethanol you would need to be fairly careful with how you have set it up and should really verify on the dyno.
Hondata
chasewd

Post by chasewd »

For my use case I am shooting for consistency and reliability but not really interested in more power. Based on what you're saying about setting up the factory settings map to function with ethanol properly it seems like the best route would be to continue using the 93/ff calibration or remove the PRL sensor and then go back to factory settings.

This is precisely the info I was after!