1.5T CVT Noise (Whistle/Screeching)

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2008+ Accord, Americas and international
xgenpearl

1.5T CVT Noise (Whistle/Screeching)

Post by xgenpearl »

Hi Everyone,

I recently got a Flashpro and ran Stage 2 +6psi on a stock 2019 Accord Sport 1.5T CVT using 91 octane.

I noticed that once the engine was warm running about 15-20 min there was a whistling/screeching noise coming from the engine bay that I believe is the transmission.

It would be most apparent from 2k-3.5k RPM when going up hills usually with a throttle position of around 75%.

It doesn't sound like the normal quiet "Supercharger like" high pitch whine that is completely normal with the CVT.
This was a moderately rough whistling sound that was not smooth and increased with more throttle, however, disappears after 3.5k RPM for some reason.

I flashed back to stock and the noise has pretty much stopped being audible at least over the normal engine and cabin noise.

My vehicle is only at 12k miles on the odometer and I have not gotten a CVT fluid change.

Is my CVT giving out or wearing due to the higher torque and boost from the tune? Any insight or experience with tunes and CVT would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: 1.5T CVT Noise (Whistle/Screeching)

Post by Spunkster »

Without hearing the noise, it's hard to say what the noise could be. Are you at high elevation?
xgenpearl

Post by xgenpearl »

I will have to video it next time I hear it. I live in the city so it may be awhile before I have the chance to go up to the mountains again and find some hills to drive up.

The two driving sessions I heard it was on the Angeles Crest Highway and the roads around Lake Tahoe. So around 5000-7000 ft.

The sound did feel directly related to the throttle/torque of the vehicle not the speed but was odd that it only appeared in that narrow RPM range and no where else.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you made any changes to the calibration you were using?
xgenpearl

Post by xgenpearl »

No changes. Just the base map for Stage 2 1.5t Accord 2018+

It doesn't seem to happen until the car is well warmed up after spirited driving. Possible that a CVT cooler would help mitigate this?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It really depends on what is making the noise. If it is the transmission, maybe, if it is the turbo then that needs to be addressed.