WHAT MODS TO DO?

Post your non-Hondata questions / problems here.
Prelude1997SH

WHAT MODS TO DO?

Post by Prelude1997SH »

Hi there,

I am an owner of a 1997 Honda Prelude VTI-R Tiptronic.

Now, I need some help with modifications .. performance wise.

I need someone out there that knows what they are talking about to help me out with this.

If I had $3,000 AU which is about $2,000 US. What could i do to give some speed to this vehicle.. I mean.. it is heavy as hell and a slow mover. It feels as if i am driving a tank at times.

Help would be greatly appreciated since i have been beaten by pretty much any honda vehicle besides the one of my type.... VERY SLO.. NEED TO SPEED IT UP!.. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO THIS VEHICLE!
DaX

Post by DaX »

The H22 is a powerful engine and has a lot of potential.

You could always free up just a few ponies by installing an intake, header, and larger exhaust.

Suspension upgrades will greatly improve handling also [get a nice set of full coilovers and maybe some anti-sway bars].

If cheap speed is what you're after, a small nitrous kit [sub 100 shot] can make the car rip.

Personally [and if you're mechanically inclined and confident enough], I would get rid of that tiptronics transmission and install a 5-speed manual transmission.

There are many directions you can go...and $2000 US is really just enough to get your feet wet.
Prelude1997SH

Post by Prelude1997SH »

yeah.. i already have an exhaust system ( 2 1/4 cat-back with DRIFT 4" to 3" tip muffler.. which is currently removed due to the roadworthy certificate but will put it back on) along with an intake system (K&N air filter)...

I was thinking maybe increase the exhaust piping to 2 1/2 inch?

Taking that into consideration.. what would be the nex step with those 3000 AU.. considering the intake/exhaust has been done?
Prelude1997SH

Post by Prelude1997SH »

hmm i suppose noone can help me out here ha....
K I L R O Y

Post by K I L R O Y »

I would really consider swapping to a manual transmission. It will make all the difference in the world. While you have the tranny out, an exedy lightweight flywheel and clutch would be a really good thing too. Let it wind up fast.
redvtec27

Post by redvtec27 »

if all you have is 3000 au or 2000 USD, I would consider a set of nice aftemarket (stage 1 or 2) VTEC cams and maybe a 6 puck clutch.. Also maybe some Falken Azenis tires, or drag radials if you want to do alot of drag.

suspension, maybe springs and a sway bar till you have the loot to do the rest.