Aloha! Just got FlashPro for my 2008 SI, any tips or help?

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
MauiSI

Aloha! Just got FlashPro for my 2008 SI, any tips or help?

Post by MauiSI »

Hey everyone, my name is Justin! I recently just got my FlashPro for my 2008 Civic SI FG2. I have not done anything with Flashpro on my car yet and wanted to see what the experts here recommend before doing anything? This is my first time that I'll be using a tuner and don't want to mess my car up. Not sure if this helps but here's my type of driving. This is not my daily driver but I do take my SI out for a spirited drive almost daily. Will hit VTEC and rev up to around 7-8K RPM atleast 1-2 times every time I drive the car. Not sure if any of that matters.

Here's my mod list:
- K&N High Flow Filter
- Mishimoto Silicone Intake Hose
- Megan Racing Shorty Header
- Megan Racing Catback Exhaust
- Thermal Intake Manifold and Throttle Body Gaskets
- NST 3 Piece Lightweight Pulleys

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated! Thanks!
EFICU

Re: Aloha! Just got FlashPro for my 2008 SI, any tips or help?

Post by EFICU »

Welcome to the Hondata platform. If you want to run a Hondata basemap, give the stock tuned calibration a try first and run some datalogs to look over. Since you're running the stock airbox, you can run just about any of those tunes in there but the stock tuned one would be closest to what you need. You could try the K&N SRI calibration if you want, but I don't think it would gain anything over the stock tuned one. I can help you scale the MAF for fueling and all that if you want.

The best of both worlds would be to do a hybrid calibration where it runs the MAF sensor for part throttle and the MAP sensor for wide open throttle (WOT). I can help you do that using my calibrations and we can go from there. Either way if you want some help, just let me know.

Are you planning on adding a race header or anything in the near future, or is this your setup for the foreseeable future?
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Hey EFICU! Thanks for the response. I would prefer to take your recommendation and have the hybrid tune. This will be my setup unless something NEEDS to be replaced. Happy with the light mods.

I would love some help, I appreciate it so much! Should I start with one of your calibrations first or the stock tuned?

Aloha!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. Since you plan to keep it this way for a while, let's go ahead and tune it the proper way by tuning each cam angle one by one and then blending out the tables based on the data. This first one will be the 0* cam angle with vtec at 4500. The 0* cam angle is the most boring to drive on because it's the least powerful. So don't get discouraged on this first one, it's all part of the process.

For the datalogs, we need them to be roughly twenty minutes in length, with as much stop and go driving as possible. Avoid steady speed and rpms for long periods of time basically. On the drive, make one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-8600 so we can work on the WOT fueling too. Take this one for a spin when you can and we will see how it looks.
MauiSI.Hybrid.Rev01 (0Cam)(Vtec4500).fpcal
(22.15 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Dude, thanks so much for the help and explaining the process as well. The proper way sounds good!

Sounds good. I'll load it up and get the data logs and send them over to you. Again, thanks so much!
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

I'm working all weekend so will be able to get the datalogs on Tuesday. Thanks man! Also, do you charge for this? Would love to compensate for your time and help!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. I just remembered this isn't your daily driver, so that works. Just keep me in the loop on the datalogs and we'll get going on it for you.

I leave the money up to you guys. If you're happy at the end and want to send me a little something I certainly appreciate it, but it doesn't dictate the effort I put into it for you guys. I leave it all up to you guys.
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Sounds good! Thanks!

Also, If you have the time I would love to learn more about tuning safely and the process. I had a few questions if you don't mind answering. I noticed the tune will raise the rev limiter to 8600. Is it safe to run the motor that high if health and longevity is my goal? Would the tune change at all if you kept the limiter lower vs higher? Or do you just tune it to 8600 so I have the option to go that high if wanted but don't have to?

Sorry for all the questions but very eager to learn more about the tuning process. I own an IT company and my brother and dad are mechanics and help A LOT with the mechanical side of my car. Now that the computer is involved, I'm stoked!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

No problem. You'll learn a lot about it all as we go. When we tune them the proper way, there are a lot of things you will experience that you don't when they're tuned the quicker way using a completed basemap. There is a lot of data specific to your car we gain doing it the proper way to make better decisions due to larger data collection.

8600rpm has been the standard on these for over a decade now. You can certainly come up short of that and keep it there for safety, or we can lower it down to whatever you would like. Most guys like the bragging rights of being able to rev to 8600, though they tend to stop making power short of that rpm. We can lower it to whatever you would like, 8200, 8400, you tell me what you want and we'll do it. Nothing is set in stone on these tunes, it's your car and I want you to enjoy it and be comfortable with it. I would keep it higher than you plan for the future right now, we wouldn't want to set it at 8200 now and then 8600 in the end. Granted we make decisions on the fueling that would keep it close, but if you wanted to run the limiter at say 8200 in the end, I would at least go 8400 during the tuning process so we can get that data just in case. That and you can set the limiter at 8200, and always plan to shift at 8000 max once we're done. You don't have to bang it off the limiter, more like keeping the protection at 8200 in case it revs fast or a missed shift. But yes, feel free to let me know your thoughts and demands, we can always incorporate them and I will only intervene if something is requested I find to be unsafe.
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Great, thanks! Excited to learn more.

Thanks for explaining! That helps understand more. Let's run the limiter at 8200 in the end. I really appreciate you explaining everything.

I guess we could set the limiter at 8600rpm as you stated and then just shift at redline on the tach which will be around 8200. I'm just thinking on the accidental missed shift or if someone else is driving my car and does not have the control I have hahaha.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I went ahead and put together a file with it at 8400. We will set it there for now, but you can plan to shift at 8000-8200 and only use the limiter if something weird happens. Then in the final revisions, we will move it down to 8200 if that's where you want it still.
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Sounds good! Thanks and I'll send over those data logs on Tuesday. I really appreciate it!
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Hey @EFICU. Just uploaded the first tune and drove around for a bit and datalogged. I was not able to do any 3rd gear pull so this may not be helpful at all to you but here's what I got so far. Later today I will try and go somewhere to do the 3rd gear pull but here is some stop and go. I'll upload the other file later today when I can do the 3rd gear WOT log. Thanks again for your help!
Attachments
FirstDataLogTune1.fpdl
(5.86 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Ok. I wasn't able to get up to 8400 but I think I got close. I did 2 pulls but had to let off the throttle as I was coming up on traffic. Hopefully this is good for now. Let me know if not and I can go out to another place I know I can get the pull to the top of redline. Thanks!

Not sure why this file is so large but I'll upload a link that you can download it from. Thanks!
MauiSI

Post by MauiSI »

Alright here's the data logs from today. Thanks again!

https://computerhale-my.sharepoint.com/ ... ?e=BC6HhW