2014 FB6 Stock - Basemap from Hondata good enough?

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
Techi

Re: 2014 FB6 Stock - Basemap from Hondata good enough?

Post by Techi »

Thank you,

I will let you know once I speak to Chris, yesterday I felt good enough and went for a quick run,

Let me know how it looks,
Attachments
REV10Blended.fpdl
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good, glad you're feeling better.

So that one looked great all over, and no knock. I think we're there. I made a couple adjustments and finalized a couple tables, nothing you would notice or feel. If you feel okay this weekend, go ahead and make a datalog this weekend some time just to make sure it's good over multiple days. If that datalog looks good, I would say we're good to go until you get your DP and/or exhaust.
Techi.SD.Rev11 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.17 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Techi

Post by Techi »

Happy to hear that is doing great now :),

Here is Datalog for rev11, I did a mix of different driving styles, City, Highway, and some aggressive pulls,

Let me know how it looks,

Happy weekend!
Attachments
REV11Blended.fpdl
(2.93 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Hi Techi,

Yeah overall it looks pretty good. The trims were a little positive, but we'll see how it looks in this next one. We also had some knock popup from the varied driving, so take this one for a spin some time and we will see how it looks.
Techi.SD.Rev12 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.12 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Techi

Post by Techi »

Thank you Eficu,

Appreciate it, here is the Rev12, on my end Car is feeling better than ever,

What are your thoughts on custom exhausts? from a performance point of view, is it the same on your end or it makes things more complicated?

Let me know if you have any questions,
Attachments
Rev12.fpdl
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Hi Techi,

That one looked great. The fueling looked great, we had one silly knock at low speed maybe cruising through a parking lot or something so no big deal there. Go ahead and make another datalog later this week, if that one looks good I think we're there. I like to see at least a couple super clean datalogs in a row before I send you guys on your way.

Exhausts are a little hit or miss, in my experience they don't impact the tune as much as one would think. That doesn't mean they don't add performance, but they don't impact the tune from needing a lot of adjustment. I've had some guys add exhaust and fuel goes rich by a couple percent, and some go lean or stay the same. The DP on 9th gens is the biggest change you can make as it really opens up the exhaust flow. You sort of have to balance how loud you want with how much performance you want. Some guys can't stand the loud exhaust everyday, so they go quieter with the exhaust package. Some guys don't care how loud, so keep that in mind when you choose an exhaust. I guess with the stock DP, the exhaust impact is marginal, but with the addition of a DP to the exhaust they tend to work better.

Glad the car feels good. Everything looks good in the datalog, we're definitely close, if not there now.
Techi

Post by Techi »

Perfect, I will be doing the datalog soon, once done I will post it,

So, from your perspective once we do the DP with Injectors and Exhaust it doesn't matter what exhaust it is, it goes more for personal preference, so If I get a shop to install a custom exhaust with my FR DP it's the same for you, I found a reputable shop that promises similar sound if not the same as a FR exh for fraction of the cost, so I was wondering if that was an option, I might go with the deal I found for the FR pipe and get the RDX injectors, I am looking for a deeper tone, not necesarily louder, I like to tone of the Nvidia N1 but heard it's too loud for DD,

Thanks again man, I will post the next datalog soon
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah the exhaust is more of a personal preference. Although, when it comes to a muffler shop doing an entire system, you need to look into the manner of bending the pipe. A lot of exhaust shops don't do mandrel bending of the pipe, they do crush/wrinkle bending or whatever you would like to refer to it as. The mandrel bend is a very smooth bend which keeps the inner diameter the same size throughout the bend, a crush/wrinkle bend is very abrupt and ripples the pipe making for a not so smooth bend. Pretty much any exhaust you buy from FR, Invidia, you name it, they will be a mandrel bent pipe. So check with the shop to see if they mandrel bend or not, if they don't have a mandrel bender, I wouldn't recommend it. How much of a difference does it make, I couldn't tell you, but I would pay the additional money for a mandrel bent system that has been engineered for my car so you don't get any banging or odd fitting sections. Also check to see what they plan to use for resonators and mufflers, are they using quality components or not? Are the mufflers straight through or chambered, etc. Also check the quality of stainless steel being used for the pipe, if they are using a cheap stainless or even an aluminized steel, the system may not last long considering the climate you have there.

Not all exhaust shops are bad by any means, but when someone says they can do something for a fraction of the cost you have to do your due diligence to ensure you're getting what you're told. The questions I would want answered would be,

-Muffler brand and material?
-What material for piping? If it's stainless steel, what type like 304 or 409?
-Is the pipe mandrel bent or crush/wrinkle bent.

Obviously any exhaust will work okay, just saying that if you're spending your hard earned money to be sure you're getting what you want and know what you are getting. I get the feeling that you enjoy your car and want the best products for it, at the right cost of course. If the shop does mandrel bending then you should be good to go, just check their feedback and reviews and ultimately make sure you're comfortable with them doing the work.
Techi

Post by Techi »

Hey Eficu,

Here's the latest Datalog, let me know if you find anything,

Thanks for the insight and heads up about the exhaust, and you're right about looking the best for the car, in the end I want longevity and get the most out of it, but I always have this little voice in my head if something is good enough, even before the hondata and after all your help it's probably the most noticeable difference,

Thank you man,
Attachments
Rev13.fpdl
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

It looks really good. We had one silly knock on WOT, so I made a small change. For this next one, take it for a drive when you have time, no rush at all. I could probably have left everything alone since it was one silly knock, but I went ahead and made a small change for it.
Techi.SD.Rev13 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.21 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Techi

Post by Techi »

Hey man,

Let me know how this one looks, this was a painful drive full of traffic, but I was able to do a pull dropping to 3rd,

So let's see how it went,
Attachments
Rev14.fpdl
(5.46 MiB) Downloaded 50 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah we had a couple knock in the same area. You don't have to make any more WOT pulls in these, it's only the part throttle stuff I'm watching now. I'm also watching the fuel trims a bit, when your intake temp goes up the fuel trims go positive which is a little strange. We'll see how it looks in the next one, again no rush, you can datalog a simple drive, no more WOT pulls are needed.
Techi.SD.Rev14 (Blended)(Vtec4600).fpcal
(22.2 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Techi

Post by Techi »

Hi Eficu,

Hope you're doing great!

Finally had a chance to do the drive, something weird happened this time after uploading the new calibration, might have been a coincidence but all warning lights turned on, (ABS, Hill assistant, Airbag, emission, etc..) and I tried charging the battery, didn't work, cables with another car, didn't work, after being miserable reflashed the ECU didn't work, then tried everything again, cleaned the terminals and did not work so finally I reprogramed again and it started normally, but I wonder if it was a coincidence that battery was bad or something wrong happened,

I will drive it again tomorrow but let me know if the datalog is ok? when I was revving I couldn't get the Vtec to kick until higher revs than usual so I'm not sure if I'm tripping or felt something weird,

Let me know what you can read,
Attachments
Rev15.fpdl
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I'm not sure what you have going on there, was the battery dead when you tried to start it, or all the lights came on when you started it? The ECU calibrations don't have any control over the airbag system, so that is the weird part and makes me think it's a battery related issue maybe. But your voltage during the datalog was fine, so the alternator is charging. At least it was in this datalog I guess.

All your WOT pulls were in lower gears and very quick, so I couldn't see the exact vtec engagement rpm but it did seem a little high. In lower gears it's hard for it to engage on time because they rev so fast. I would go back to making a normal datalog like we have been doing, with a WOT pull from 2500 to at least 5500 so we can see if it's engaging on time. And also so we can look at the WOT fueling, it seemed to be a bit erratic, but again with the WOT pulls being so short and lower gear I can't say for sure.
Techi

Post by Techi »

Hey Eficu,

I think it was the battery car was much better, will check the fuses for the airbag as it's still on, my drive must have been so bad, it was after couple hours trying to get the car started outside in the cold, late at night lol, It was too much and maybe blamed it on the car but it must have been me,

Let me know how these went, roads were slippery on the second one so I had a couple times where traction control kicked in, first datalog is with traffic second was late without,

I noticed there's many people downloading the datalogs you are giving me, is that a common occurrence? I hope they know what they're doing!

Thanks again man!
Attachments
Rev16.2.fpdl
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Rev16.1.fpdl
(3.12 MiB) Downloaded 47 times