Running lean

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
ilymisfit

Running lean

Post by ilymisfit »

Hi guys I am new to the Honda scene. I’ve had my car for over a year and I have a couple things done to it. Skunk 2 cai, rv6 down pipe and exhaust with a hondata. Now saying that, the running lean issue happens every now and then. I have had my car tuned to supposedly run both my headers and cai but I think it was done improperly. If anyone could help me figure this out I’d be much appreciative. A couple of symptoms that occur are rough idling, sometimes stuttering/jittering when accelerating, reving the car up also triggers the car the tank in rpms and almost wanna stall out but bounce right back up into stable rpms
ilymisfit

Re: Running lean

Post by ilymisfit »

Was going to change the maf sensor incase it’s just faulty. Had a smoke test done to the car and no leaks were seen
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

ilymisfit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 pm Hi guys I am new to the Honda scene. I’ve had my car for over a year and I have a couple things done to it. Skunk 2 cai, rv6 down pipe and exhaust with a hondata. Now saying that, the running lean issue happens every now and then. I have had my car tuned to supposedly run both my headers and cai but I think it was done improperly. If anyone could help me figure this out I’d be much appreciative. A couple of symptoms that occur are rough idling, sometimes stuttering/jittering when accelerating, reving the car up also triggers the car the tank in rpms and almost wanna stall out but bounce right back up into stable rpms
Post the calibration you are running and a datalog. I can take a look at it.

-Ed
Instagram: calibrated.tuning
ilymisfit

Post by ilymisfit »

CalibratEd wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:11 pm
ilymisfit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 pm Hi guys I am new to the Honda scene. I’ve had my car for over a year and I have a couple things done to it. Skunk 2 cai, rv6 down pipe and exhaust with a hondata. Now saying that, the running lean issue happens every now and then. I have had my car tuned to supposedly run both my headers and cai but I think it was done improperly. If anyone could help me figure this out I’d be much appreciative. A couple of symptoms that occur are rough idling, sometimes stuttering/jittering when accelerating, reving the car up also triggers the car the tank in rpms and almost wanna stall out but bounce right back up into stable rpms
Thanks for reaching out what exactly a

-Ed
Sounds good will be heading to work in a few. Will setup the data log for the drive
ilymisfit

Post by ilymisfit »

-Ed
Hey Ed
let me know if you need anthing else. The datalog is from my break i was able to turn on the datalog before my cars rpm dipped and then came back up on idle (its about 15 minutes worth of data).
Attachments
datalog.fpdl
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
CurrentMap.fpcal
(22.49 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
ilymisfit

Post by ilymisfit »

ilymisfit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:33 pm

-Ed
Hey Ed
let me know if you need anthing else. The datalog is from my break i was able to turn on the datalog before my cars rpm dipped and then came back up on idle (its about 15 minutes worth of data).

its a 2013 btw
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Hopefully I have some downtime this weekend to look over the files. Have you reached out to your tuner and made them aware of the issue. I always recommend to give them a chance to make it right.

-Ed
ilymisfit

Post by ilymisfit »

CalibratEd wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:23 pm Hopefully I have some downtime this weekend to look over the files. Have you reached out to your tuner and made them aware of the issue. I always recommend to give them a chance to make it right.

-Ed
Yes i reached out to him and he told me it was all right. i have cleaned the maf sensor and the issue still persists with cels popping up at random times. as youll see one of the hickups in the first 30 seconds of the datalog the rpms drop to ab 500 on idle. noticed it happen at gas stations, after driving or before, or when i rev my car. thank you for taking the time to check everything out and helping me. im very new to the whole tuning scene.
-tommy
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

I don't think the MAF will have that great of an effect as the car is running in speed density. The car is indeed running lean. It's possible this may be causing all of your issues. What code is popping up? When did this issues start to happen? I am wondering if something changed over the course of the year.

I'm surprised the tuner said it was ok. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, double check you don't have any exhaust leaks. Exhaust leaks can also cause lean conditions.

If you are sure you don't have any exhaust leaks, then the fueling needs to be adjusted. The lower VTC table is also a little wonky-looking.

- Ed
ilymisfit

Post by ilymisfit »

CalibratEd wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:06 pm I don't think the MAF will have that great of an effect as the car is running in speed density. The car is indeed running lean. It's possible this may be causing all of your issues. What code is popping up? When did this issues start to happen? I am wondering if something changed over the course of the year.

I'm surprised the tuner said it was ok. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, double check you don't have any exhaust leaks. Exhaust leaks can also cause lean conditions.

If you are sure you don't have any exhaust leaks, then the fueling needs to be adjusted. The lower VTC table is also a little wonky-looking.

- Ed
Morning Ed,
Thanks for reaching back out. Will double check the exhaust for leaks but I am 99% all that is well. I was receiving off and on code PO171 and I’d say late November early December. I mean it was instantly noticeable. I’m running a invidia N1 catback exhaust btw. Would you also happen to be able to help me tweak the values to fix the lean issue.
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Sure thing. I will take a look at it again when I have some downtime.

-Ed
ilymisfit

Post by ilymisfit »

CalibratEd wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:36 am Sure thing. I will take a look at it again when I have some downtime.

-Ed

Sounds good thank you again
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

I had some time to look over the tune gain. I adjusted the fuel with broad changes. Create another normal drive log so I can make sure the changes took effect.

-Ed
Attachments
ilymisfit_Rev1.fpcal
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
ilymisfit

Post by ilymisfit »

CalibratEd wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:44 pm I had some time to look over the tune gain. I adjusted the fuel with broad changes. Create another normal drive log so I can make sure the changes took effect.

-Ed
hey Good Afternoon Ed,
thanks for reaching back out so quick and looking at the tune for me. heres the updated datalog info let me know if anything else is needed.
thanks again
-tommy
Attachments
datalog0008 (updated tune).fpdl
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

You should be good to go. Reach out if you ever need custom tuning. My contact info is in the calibration notes

- Ed
Attachments
ilymisfit_Rev2.fpcal
(22.84 KiB) Downloaded 697 times