air/water temp corrections. i searched.. i give up!

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
kaj

air/water temp corrections. i searched.. i give up!

Post by kaj »

i remember reading that everyone has had issues... such as:
air temp correction not making much difference.
water temp correction not making much difference.
values reversed from what they "should be".

has anyone else had any of these issues?

i start my car, cold.. and have SO MUCH trouble. i either get a 18:1 start-up a/f or 10:1.

is it because there is a delay? i know the hondata only samples the ECT and air temp every-so-often.. so, do i need to make my adjustments, then wait for that to recycle? 'cause my car warms up pretty fast. maybe too fast to see what changes have worked.
maybe if i make my change, then shut the car off for a minute.. then restart?

i'm so lost with this whole ECT/intake temp thing. i didn't post any logs or cal files. this is just a general question, not specific to my tune. i'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble of tuning.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

What happens is that one person reports a problem (in this case temperature compensation), and then we suddenly get a lot of complaints about the same thing. We test the reported problem, and find it works ok. More information does not forthcome when requested, and after a certain time period without additional problem reports I have to conclude that the original report has been resolved, and the other reports were people worried that they might have a problem.

There is a delay in the ECU making changes when you change the compensation tables in SManager. You can get around this by jumpering the service connector switch, and any changes should be instant. While datalogging the ECT.c and IAT.c values will tell you how much the ECU is changing the mixture.

First try creating a new calibration and uploading that to see if there is a problem with the compensation tables in the calibration you're using. You should also check your comp tables with a default calibration to make sure they have no odd values etc which will upset the ECU. Finally, if you post your calibration here we can test the behaviour here.

Finally, check everything else is working and you have no error codes.
Last edited by Hondata on Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hondata
kaj

Post by kaj »

Hondata wrote:There is a delay in the ECU making changes when you change the compensation tables in SManager.
HA! i knew it. i'm posting my cal files now. i have no error codes. other than not being able to get the launch control set right, i have no other issues.
Attachments
latest and greatest 07_31.skl
(16.52 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The calibration worked ok here. The changes you have made to the ECT comp is odd. I suggest copying the values out of a new calibration and starting again with the compensation. Post a datalog of whatever problem you're having. Also there are a number of odd changes in the calibration which need looking at (cylinder trim, VTEC activation pressure, ignition rev limit).
Hondata
kaj

Post by kaj »

Hondata wrote:The calibration worked ok here. The changes you have made to the ECT comp is odd. I suggest copying the values out of a new calibration and starting again with the compensation. Post a datalog of whatever problem you're having. Also there are a number of odd changes in the calibration which need looking at (cylinder trim, VTEC activation pressure, ignition rev limit).
all those were handled (or ignored) by my tuner. i have not touched any of those.

i'm thinking of getting a base map for my ECT/IAT values and just copying it. i noticed the cylinder trim and didn't understand the need for that. could that be why my car falls on it's face while shifting fast at high rpm? the A/F drops to 10:1, or worse, and the car falls flat on it's face :(
as for vtec activation pressure? i've never even looked.
ignition rev limit? same thing. i've never looked.
any recommendations?

i know you're busy. i really appreciate all your help. seriously.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The short answer is that the car needs further tuning. All I can say is that some of the parameters look odd, but without the car on the dyno I can't say what the setting should be.
Hondata
kaj

Post by kaj »

Hondata wrote:The short answer is that the car needs further tuning. All I can say is that some of the parameters look odd, but without the car on the dyno I can't say what the setting should be.
i'll tell you this much. i got rid of the trim on cyl's 2 and 3. my car used to stumble a bit under tip in/while driving/etc.. and when i would shift quickly from gear to gear, the car would load up with fuel, fall on it's face, then take off.
after setting all cylinders to "0" it is now more responsive than i ever could have imagined. it no longer falls on it's face between shifts! i thought my injectors were faulty and too slow to shut off. i was about to get rid of them and retune.
i'm going to email my tuner. i'm figuring the 2% on cyl 2 and 3% on cyl 3 was in his basemap and he forgot. it's a boosted motor, so i was thinking he did it for safety (not sure why. i run meth).. but the car ran so bad i almost pulled the turbo kit.
TurboLS

Post by TurboLS »

do you have a datalog of the AFR?? I had a few posts about the air/water temp a while back and everyone uses the stock compensation factors that come with the basemaps. Some people lean out the idle at cold start to help save a little gas.
TurboLS from Team-Integra.net
(703)919-2786 (C)
seen4ever

Post by seen4ever »

kaj wrote:but the car ran so bad i almost pulled the turbo kit.
your car needs more tuning, that calibration doesnt' remind me of a boosted car's fuel curve. looks like you need alot more adjusting on the timing and a/f areas, along with the configuration of other options.
2004 Infiniti G35c

1992 Honda Civic CX
2005: 11.2@133 cracked sleeve
2006: more power :)