OBD-1 Conversion Queries

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
marklamond

OBD-1 Conversion Queries

Post by marklamond »

Hi,

I have a DOHC ZC (D series) turbo and want to run with Hondata. It looks like on the face of things as OBD-1 conversion is the way to go.

I have a TD-42U OBD-1 distributor which was from a D16Z6 SOHC VTEC. I would like to run this with the P28 which "matches" the distributor. As long as i set my new distributor at TDC with my engine and weld some mounts.......

But, i noticed a problem. The B16A2 DOHC TD-44U dist is identical internally to the TD-42U but for the Cylinder position sensor. Your website says that "Any ECU in the above table will drive the engines in the table above it" when relating to the 92-95 Civic/CRX ECU's. How can this be when this sensor (alone) is in a different place on the SOHC engines as opposed to the DOHC?

(i have detailed pics of the differences if anyone wants to see)

So, my next question is can i use a SOHC dist and ECU to drive a DOHC engine? I can't imagine so as the camshaft pulleys are a different size on each engine so the sensors will not relate to the engine's position correctly.

Is my only option to use a DOHC dist and ECU, like a P30 or P74?

Many thanks for your help,

Mark.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

What year is the engine? Does it use a grey plug distributor? If it has the later model distributor and wiring then you can run the engine from a non-VTEC OBDI ECU. If the distrbutor has a green plug then it has the wrong number of teeth on the CKP sensor for an OBDI ECU. ZDyne might be the easiest solution in that case.
Hondata
marklamond

Post by marklamond »

The engine is a 1989 DOHC ZC 1.6. It uses a TD-08U OBD-0 distributor and a seperate cylinder sensor on the exhaust cam, an yeah only has a 16 tooth CYP sensor :(.

Hehe, i already have a Zdyne Gold SECU and want to get rid of it as tuning is a hit and miss affair (bordering on impossible) due to it not having datalogging.

As far as i can see if i use a DOHC OBD-1 dist and ECU (VTEC or not) i should be fine, i will just have to lay my hands on them (not easy) :( . I have heard of DOHC users using the non-VTEC integra P74 and distributor on DOHC ZC's. I can see no reason why i can't make a OBD-1 DOHC run with my engine as long as i change the dist and fit a heated 02, I just wanted to run it by you guys first.

Can you tell me if i can use a P30-G00, i believe there is a rom by yourselves for this ecu, (perhaps still in development) that will work as the G00 does not contain APS sensor compared to the U.S. models that do.

(sorry for all of the questions but i really want to use a hondata) :D

Thanks,

Mark.