Boost control solenoid issue after install

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Praylewd powr

Boost control solenoid issue after install

Post by Praylewd powr »

I just went from a dual stage manual boost controller to the GM solenoid from hondata with my new s300 (p28). The issue is that while I has very minimal boost creep with rpm increase (2psi increase over 4k-redline)....I am seeing alot of boost creep with the new elec solenoid.

I am also noticing intermittant boost levels. Before I could run 15 psi and hold it until redline and only creep up to 16 or maybe 17psi. Now I have done runs where I will spool up and hit 12psi and it will creep up to 18psi. But it will never initially (peak torque after spool up) hit my max desired boost level.

I understand the issues that could cause creep but since I didn't have it before, I shouldn't have it now correct? I shortened all the vacuum lines down to the bare minimum. And the boost source is coming off the compressor housing.

If there are any tips on possible things I am doing wrong please let me know.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Duane
Canada.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Try using the manifold as your boost source.
Praylewd powr

Post by Praylewd powr »

I originally had it hooked up at the manifold but the problem was identical. I then rerouted the lines to shorten them, and ran the source from the comp housing. Same problem.

It seems a little better with a higher spring (ie: 10psi spring versus a 7psi spring), but still creeps more than it previously did. Have any other cusomers had this issue?

Also, to route my lines and make them as short as possible, I mounted the solenoid next to the distributor. I previously had it behind the headlight but had longer vacuum lines. Either way gives the same boost creep issue, but is the heat going to affect it that much at the dizzy?

d
b20luda

Post by b20luda »

i have been having this same issue, did you ever get it fixed?

my boost source for the WG is in the upper charge pipe going to throttle body...

my car creeps like crazy, goes to 12psi then creeps to 19psi in 4th gear....glad its tuned for higher boost, but i want to run 12psi steady... for DD
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Are you using gear based boost control, or a set duty cycle?
b20luda

Post by b20luda »

set duty cycle,
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Try using gear based boost control.
oscarmayer

Post by oscarmayer »

bump for results in gear vs duty baised. I was going to go boost by gear, but before i mod my ecu and do this, I would love to know the results.
Got Boost?

OscarMayer
b20luda

Post by b20luda »

didnt really change anything....still creeps in 3rd and 4th gear... the problem is almost completly gone when the IAT is low like at night, it only happens when its warm, i suppose i need to mess with the compensation more than i have already...
Lococoin

Post by Lococoin »

I am having the same issues when its warmer out. I was thinking of trying the aem solenoid but not sure if that would fix the problem.
thudreem

Post by thudreem »

I'm having the same problem. I went from a manifold source to the intercooler piping right after the intercooler. Mounted the GM solenoid right behind the headlight. I tuned it Sat night and had a little creep. Went to the track on Sunday and I was hitting boost cut like crazy. I tried fixed duty cycle, gear based etc. I finally disconnected the GM boost solenoid and went with a $5 manual boost controller using the same boost source (IC Piping) and the car built boost faster and held 18 psi all the way to redline (9800 rpm's)

Hondata, what do you recommend we do here??
Is the S300 ever going to have closed loop boost control with options where you can select the boost solenoid that we are using?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What spring are you using?
thudreem

Post by thudreem »

Tial 44mm wastegate with a 10lb spring
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You should be using the lightest spring possible.
thudreem

Post by thudreem »

MY maximum boost is going to be close to 30lbs so I believe I cannot run anything lower right?