leaning out

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

leaning out

Post by garbergeoff@hotmail.com »

My car was tuned last year with an S200. I have a 94 1.8l vtec. Now for no apparant reason over 10lbs of boost it leans out. Map sensors is working, fuel pressure is good, and timing is set right. We have tried to add fuel ( alot ) and it still leans out bad, like into the 14's ( the car was tuned to have a 10.5 a/f ) After adding fuel it started hitting the rev limiter, first run at 5,000, 2nd run at 4,000 then the 3rd ran was around 3,000rpm. Datalog showed rpm was spiking to 666,000rpm. I have bypassed my msd digital 6 ignition ( So thats not the problem ) and have used a different chip with a new map burnt on it with no luck. If anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it, this has been beating for 3 weeks now and we cant seem to narrow down the problem. Almost seems like the timing is being advanced causing it to lean out.
QUICKSILVER RACING

Post by QUICKSILVER RACING »

How's your fuel pressure? Ooops, It is in your statement.

Try replacing the injectors or fuel filter
HONDATA official and sole Distributor in the Philippines.
http://quicksilver.4t.com
+639178954747
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you tried your ecu in another vehicle?
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

it doesn't seem to be a fuel problem, atleast that wouldn't cause the rev limiter problem with the over reving
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

In addition to trying it in another car, please post the calibration the car was running as well as a datalog showing the problem.
Clutch

Post by Clutch »

How old is your WB sensor? Your sensor could be going bad. Could try your sensor in another car.
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

Clutch wrote:How old is your WB sensor? Your sensor could be going bad. Could try your sensor in another car.
Wideband is brand new, beside the fact that i have 4 new piston ashtrays from when it leaned out last year
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

Spunkster wrote:In addition to trying it in another car, please post the calibration the car was running as well as a datalog showing the problem.
I dont have the datalog on my laptop as the car is at the tuners shop 2 hr's away. Not sure what you mean by the calibration the car was running. Keep in mind that this wasn't a new tune, i drove the car for over a year without a problem.....then all of a sudden this stuff starts. I talked to my tuner tonight and he think that my MSD coil might be causing some sort of a interferance with the timing or the ECU. As stated before i did remove the MSD digital 6 but still had the blaster coil hooked up. My question is, is there any history with msd coils interfering with a Hondata setup?
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

Spunkster wrote:Have you tried your ecu in another vehicle?
Just got word, it's not my ECU. My tuner tried his Dealer unit and still the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions?
KamalEK9

Post by KamalEK9 »

can you confirm you are not overboosting? if you are over boosting your afr will lean out! check your datalogs! a vac leak to your wg will lead in overboosting...thats from my experience!

hope that helps
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

Nope not over boosting, holds 17lbs and I tuned it on pump gas up to 20lbs
KamalEK9

Post by KamalEK9 »

did the weather change a bit? what about IAT and ECT compensation tables? were they adjusted?
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

it was tuned on a fairly hot day, also no adjustments were made to the IAT or ECT
KamalEK9

Post by KamalEK9 »

well mostly all tuners try to tune the car on its lowest ECT and lowest IAT cause usually when either go high on normal driving fuel gets richer and timing gets retarded! myself my cars IAT is going really high in the summer and i can notice am getting 18 deg at ~8psi! thats considered as allot of timing retard cause the compensation table is doing its job! not to mention am having coolant temp problems!

check your datalogs to see everything is all good before going any further....you will know if your compensation tables are doing adjustments that leaded you to this situation!
garbergeoff@hotmail.com

KamalEK9 wrote:well mostly all tuners try to tune the car on its lowest ECT and lowest IAT cause usually when either go high on normal driving fuel gets richer and timing gets retarded! myself my cars IAT is going really high in the summer and i can notice am getting 18 deg at ~8psi! thats considered as allot of timing retard cause the compensation table is doing its job! not to mention am having coolant temp problems!

check your datalogs to see everything is all good before going any further....you will know if your compensation tables are doing adjustments that leaded you to this situation!
I understand what your saying, but this isn't a new tune. One day out of the blue it starts acting like this. Is it possible for those compensation table to mess up that long after a tune?