tuning fuel?

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
gotk20

tuning fuel?

Post by gotk20 »

if i am running in closed loop and i change my fuel map,will it still try to keep the fuel at 14.7 : 1,or will it go with my fuel settings?shuld i run in open loop,
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You need to giv ea little more context to your question. If you are talking about cruising air fuel ratios, then 14.7 is where it should be.
fonz600

Post by fonz600 »

You should only really run in open loop when tuning.
If you are tuning WOT it doesn't matter if you are closed loop or open loop as it'll read of your map.
Below that it'll always try to reach the set target values in closed loop.
In open loop it'll run of the map all the time.
gotk20

Post by gotk20 »

ok so my tune in closed loop will always try to hit the 14.7 :1 target,but wot,will be my map?
blueshark123

Post by blueshark123 »

gotk20 wrote:ok so my tune in closed loop will always try to hit the 14.7 :1 target,but wot,will be my map?
Kinda it depends on map not tps. There is a threshold map value that determines when it will be in closed loop or open loop. This can be found in parameters->closed loop->conditions
654WHP 460WTQ @ 28PSI C16
dc5ftw

Post by dc5ftw »

Let me see if I can explain this a little better for ya. I know what you're trying to ask exactly because I had the same question a long time ago. When you have the car in closed loop and you're just cruising, your ECU is going to automatically set fuel to where it will run at 14.7 but as soon as you go WOT, it's going to switch to the maps and run what you have told it to run at, IE your "tune". When it is in open loop the car is going to read off of the maps the entire time you are driving whether it's just cruising or at WOT. When you're on tuning, you should leave the car in closed loop. It's absolutely safe and you will get better fuel mileage as well. Here's an example for you. I was trying to street tune my car the other day and I was cruising and the a/f was around 14.7 like it should be when in closed loop. While still cruising, I put the car in open loop just to see and my a/f immediantly changed to 11:1. That's terrible for gas mileage and will cause carbon build up very quickly. Bottom line, tune it in open loop and drive it in closed loop. Your tune will still stay in effect when in closed loop as long as you're in WOT.

Hope this helped ya man
fonz600

Post by fonz600 »

You should tune your partial throttle as well if it is running that rich in open loop. It'll give you a much smoother ride.
gotk20

Post by gotk20 »

what should i adjust for more fuel at wot? short term ,overall? like what perimeter should i adjust
dc5ftw

Post by dc5ftw »

I just learned a little more on this myself. Just select the area you need to adjust and then at the top click the little box that says "edit all" and then you're good. Change whatever needs to be changed.
fonz600

Post by fonz600 »

gotk20 wrote:what should i adjust for more fuel at wot? short term ,overall? like what perimeter should i adjust
If you are N/A then you need to highlight columns 8-10 for WOT. Easiest way to adjust the fuel is to tick the box that says edit all tables.
Personally I locked my cam angles and tune individually but the above will work for starters.
Use the lamba overlay to give you a guide on how much fuel you need to add and/or remove.
Remember to do low cam and high cam.

My best advice tho is to study on this first. Watch the Hondata videos etc.