Record Speed?

HondaLogger datalogging software questions and answers.
edlocke

Record Speed?

Post by edlocke »

I bought a Palm IIIxe and tried the PalmLogger for the first time. Even with graphs, sensors, g's turned off, it looks like I'm recording data about once every 0.4 sec. Does it get any faster? Do quicker handhelds record faster, or is this as good as it gets? (Alot happens in 1/2 sec.!)
Is it possible to disable recording of some of the variables I don't necessarily care about to speed up the data collection?
shinociv

Post by shinociv »

The display won't update as fast as you are recording so it looks slower than it is recording, when you play back your recorded data the Palms play back at about 1/4 real-time speed.

To see what speed you are recording at: while your recording press the red circle (record icon), a window will pop up saying how many fast you are recording. For example I have a Sony Clie SJ22 it records at about 97 while watching the sensors update and i think it was about 300 with the sensor update turned off.
edlocke

Post by edlocke »

I've got it figured out. (It wasn't that difficult.)
By turning off the screen updates on sensors, graphs, and g's, it speeds up recording only if you are on one of these screens! If I stay on the Main screen, I still record at about 45-50 Hz (about one complete variable record cycle every 0.4 sec.). If I stay on a screen that is NOT updating (sensors, graphs, g's, etc.), the data rate ups to about 400 Hz (about one cycle every 0.04 - 0.05 sec.)
Although fairly simple, it was not immediately obvious!
shinociv

Post by shinociv »

Yeah, basicly if you see any data updating on your PDA screen you'll be recording slower. I leave all the sensors, graphs, and g's updating so I can look at them occasionally but if I want to get more data points I?ll go to the Rev Limits screen.
turbo_civic_si

Post by turbo_civic_si »

how much space do the recording takes up? i'm considering this solution b/c my usb port on my laptop messed up and i can't datalog and use romemulator at the same time. :(