AEM Engine Position Sensor

Post your non-Hondata questions / problems here.
PurpleCivicTurbo

AEM Engine Position Sensor

Post by PurpleCivicTurbo »

I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to the workings of the 3 distributor sensors and the signal they produce in one revolution.

CYP P B11 Distributor cylinder sensor

CYP M B12 Distributor cylinder sensor

TDC P B13 Distributor TDC sensor

TDC M B14 Distributor TDC sensor

CKP P B15 Distributor crank sensor

CKP M B16 Distributor crank sensor

I have seen the AEM engine position sensor, which uses a common 24 tooth per revolution wheel + a TDC signal (i believe). I know the Hondata ecu cannot use this input, but as most people believe it is a shortcoming i believe i can make a unit to convert the AEM signal to work with a Hondata S300 (or standard honda ecu). I just need some definitive information on how the standard sensors work...

Thanks in advance- plus, if anyone else is interested in the idea, could you let me know..
Yell88CRXsi

Post by Yell88CRXsi »

Yes, for years now, I have always wanted to convert my B series over to coil packs while retaining my Hondata. I do not like nor want to use the AEM system for MANY reasons.

I'm hoping that in the future that the guys at Hondata could see their way to give us D, B, F & H series guys a product to be used with their Hondata that would allow us to use coil packs.

Feedback Hondata?
Carchitect

Post by Carchitect »

The OEM dizzy uses a mag reference sensor. It produces a wave pattern sorta like a heartbeat in other words its a simple high to low or low to high trigger. It produces its own current/voltage.

The triggers is what the ecu is looking for.

The TDC uses 1 trigger per revolution. Since the cam turns at 1/2 the revs of the engine, this sensor only triggers when #1 cylinder is on firing order hence the TDC designation. Motec calls this the Sync sensor.

The CKP sensor is 24 trigger per rev. Since the cam turns at 1/2 the evs of the engine, this sensor matches the 12-tooth CKF sensor used if front of the oil pump on the OBD-2 models. Motec calls this the Ref sensor.

The CYP sensor is redundant but its what Honda decided to use. It has 4 triggers per revolution. Its just another way for the engine ecu to run the vehicle in case the CKP sensor were to fail. Most standalones don't use this sensor.

The K-series use a hall effect output. Most hall effect sensors use a magnetic field that is broken with a trigger wheel. GM is very fond of using these on their crank pulleys. Hall effect sensors give a "cleaner" digital signal. They simply go high to low like an on-off switch. The voltage is usually 5,8,or 12 volts so the chance of noise interferance making a chnage in the output is slim to none and the wires don't need to be shielded. However, the K-series and other sensors that make a hall effect digital output work off a mag reference sensor that has a transistor built in that changes the output to a digital sensor.

If you want to change the setup to individual coils it can be done.

The first step is to install an OBD-2 oil pump, crank timing gear and CKF sensor and use its output for the CKP sensor input. Next install triggers on the OEM cam gears to trigger a TDC output and CYP output. That would be 1 and 4 triggers respectively.

Once that is done the dizzy will only be the cylinder selector for the spark interval. Then you will need at least either another ignition trigger for waste spark or 3 more triggers for individual coil on plug.

CBR 600/929/954 coils will work with IK20/24 Denso iridium plugs since the terminal end can be unscrewed. The coils will fit under the B-series plug wire cover but they will more than likely need a CDI like an M&W pro-14 4 channel trigger to ignite them since the coils are fairly weak along with a 4 channel igniter (or an acura legend 6 channel igniter).

Since the OEM igniter sends out a tach output, it would also be necessary to have an igniter that could have a tach output built in.

So to answer your main question, yes it could be done but I'm not so sure who would want to go thru with all that.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
08 IS350 Sport Package, Levinson, Nav, Radar cruise.
94 JZA80 6speed undergoing major weight reduction AKA 911 GT2 killer.
90 DA9 B18C5 retired auto-Xer
FreshDA9

Post by FreshDA9 »

Yell88CRXsi wrote:Yes, for years now, I have always wanted to convert my B series over to coil packs while retaining my Hondata. I do not like nor want to use the AEM system for MANY reasons.

I'm hoping that in the future that the guys at Hondata could see their way to give us D, B, F & H series guys a product to be used with their Hondata that would allow us to use coil packs.

Feedback Hondata?
X2 i wanna run coil on plugs as well and would like to see hondata develop it instead of going to AEM.
Wolli

Post by Wolli »

i just found this old post.
i wanted to swap to a distributorless ignition now, and looked also to the aem system. is it still not possible to use it with the s300? are there any other ignition systems i can use with hondata?