S300 stops datalogging after a few seconds...

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Driven

S300 stops datalogging after a few seconds...

Post by Driven »

Hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere... BUT...

I bought a P28 OBD1 ecu with the s300 in it recently. Engine is a B16A3 in a '88 Civic sedan.
bought a EeePC netbook (XP SP3, 1gb ram, blah blah) to run SManager.
Plugged the USB into the laptop, got the USB driver installed.
SManager shows the ECU is online. the popup saying I can datalog displays.

BUT, I'll start datalogging... see everything working as it should... then after 5-10 seconds, it'll stop. I'll pull the USB cable, reconnect, and I'm able to datalog again... but only for 5-10secs again.

What could be the problem? bad socketing? bad wiring? Spark plugs? I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled, no luck.
andrewd_89

Post by andrewd_89 »

Plug something else into that usb port on your laptop say a wireless mouse and see if it shuts off after 5-10 seconds...you may have a problem with the task scheduler on your laptop
Driven

Post by Driven »

andrewd_89 wrote:Plug something else into that usb port on your laptop say a wireless mouse and see if it shuts off after 5-10 seconds...you may have a problem with the task scheduler on your laptop
Tried it... worked fine... even tried an external harddrive and same results.

I'm thinking it might be related to the spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor.
I had that all replaced with quality autozone parts (ha!) and I read up on here that it might be a problem.

So, looks like I need to replace all of that stuff with OEM and see if it works. Also, the on-board datalogging isn't working either... but, I'm not sure if it's already used up all of it's write-capabilities since it's used... :(

any other suggestions are more than appreciated
andrewd_89

Post by andrewd_89 »

did you buy resistor plugs? and to see if your onboard dataloging is used up click "download datalog recordings from ecu".
VT-Doo

Post by VT-Doo »

Interference,
i was getting interference from my power adapter i had powering my laptop from the cigarette lighter.
Ian

Morris Mini (B18C-R)
Honda Civic Type R (FD2)
Honda Civic Type R (FK2)
Driven

Post by Driven »

andrewd_89 wrote:did you buy resistor plugs? and to see if your onboard dataloging is used up click "download datalog recordings from ecu".
I downloaded all of the datalog recordings and cleared them out... since it was a used ecu.

Not sure if I got resistor plugs... one of the joys of buying autozone stuff. But, it's all starting to make sense since, when I went to get the car smogged, the smog guy said the car is misfiring periodically... which could mean the autozone parts don't work as precisely as OEM or the S300 would like.

I'll post up after I get me some OEM honda parts installed if I'm still running into issues.
Driven

Post by Driven »

nevermind, I have NGK spark plugs in there:
BKR6EIX-11

BUT, do have autozone's duralast/valucraft spark wires, and no name cap/rotor.

Will that cause a problem?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Very possible that they will be the cause of the problem.
Poey2

Post by Poey2 »

Did you solve your problem? I am having the same problem.. It would datalog for a few seconds and stop.

Im running out of ideas.
GSRRR

Post by GSRRR »

I've had the same problem too. I'm thinking it might be the laptop. I've used 4 different laptops with my ECU, and 2 of them stop datalogging after a couple of seconds.

The other two laptops can datalog non-stop without any problems. My guess is that it could be a software or driver issue. Try another laptop and see if you have the same problem.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is not a software or driver issue. Some laptops are more susceptible to interference than others. Anything aftermarket in the ignition system is the source of the problem in 90% of all cases. The other remaining causes are usually wire tucks.