Extreme loss of performance and fuel economy

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
zach_04lx

Extreme loss of performance and fuel economy

Post by zach_04lx »

Hello,

Firstly, here is a summary of my car specs and such:

KManager Version: 1.3.9
Vehicle: 2004 USDM Honda Civic LX coupe with JDM K20a (ITR) swap (Y2M3 tranny) - custom CAI and exhaust
ECU: PND with K-pro

I have had this same setup for a couple years now. Last year around this time I had the same problem, but it was not this severe. When it gets cold outside, my fuel economy and performance both drop drastically. For instance, it is between approximately 0 and 5 degrees Celsius here, and the colder it gets, the worse the problem gets.

During the hot summer months (~25 - 38 Celsius), I get around 550 - 575 km to the tank (~47 litres). On my tank last week, I only got 420 km. It also seems very sluggish.

I have attached my .kal, and will go out and datalog if that will help in analysing the problem.

Thank you preemptively,
Zach
Attachments
zachfinal.kal
Final calibration (been using for a couple years).
(45.89 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
2004 USDM Civic LX coupe
JDM K20a ITR engine (Y2M3 transmission)
Custom intake / exhaust
K-pro PND ECU
kb58

Post by kb58 »

I know of OEM cars where the same thing happens. It may have nothing to do with KPro.
Mid-engine K24 turbo Locost, http://www.midlana.com
zach_04lx

Post by zach_04lx »

It just seems so odd because of how extreme it is. I could possibly see a slight drop in fuel economy, but this is insane! Is there anything for which I should look to diagnose the problem?

Thank you for your prompt reply though. :)
2004 USDM Civic LX coupe
Custom intake / exhaust
K-pro PND ECU
zach_04lx

Post by zach_04lx »

I went out for a typical drive today and did some datalogging (for quite some time). I have uploaded the log to my server as it kept getting an upload error here. Can anyone offer me some ideas on troubleshooting? There is obviously a problem with the AF as it is quite erratic.

Datalog (~5 degrees C outside)
2004 USDM Civic LX coupe
Custom intake / exhaust
K-pro PND ECU
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

In your datalog the short term fuel trim is maxed out (+47%). Look at the oxygen sensor first.
Hondata
zach_04lx

Post by zach_04lx »

I have changed out the primary O2 and now the problems seemed to have gone away. It doesn't feel like I'm going to buck through the dashboard when I shift, and the performance is back. I haven't gone through a tank of gas to see whether or not the fuel economy is back to normal. I also haven't datalogged yet (need to borrow a friend's laptop with Windows since KManager doesn't work nicely with Linux), but it seems good.

Though the performance and such seems to be back to normal, I am now throwing two CELs. I get codes P0134 and P1166 regarding the primary O2. I have cleared them, but they come back after the car has been on for a few seconds. Any ideas?

Thank you very much for the help thus far.
--Zach
2004 USDM Civic LX coupe
Custom intake / exhaust
K-pro PND ECU
The Spectacle

Post by The Spectacle »

Those codes typically mean the o2 is wired in wrong. Did you install a PnP o2 or splice a non standard one into your existing wiring?

I bet if you check your datalog now, you're running in open loop which is why the car is running better.
zach_04lx

Post by zach_04lx »

It is a PnP one, and I don't know why I wouldn't have the CELs on the previous one but I do on this one. This O2 is the Denso 234-9005 which is for the RSX type-S. Is it bad to be running open loop? Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is not really my area of expertise. I will datalog sometime soon.
2004 USDM Civic LX coupe
Custom intake / exhaust
K-pro PND ECU