Hot Temps causing Car to run Super Rich 10:1 past -10psi

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
Post Reply
diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Hot Temps causing Car to run Super Rich 10:1 past -10psi

Post by diSTiNCt » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:34 pm

So out in Arizona, it is getting pretty hot and my car is driving much worst. It seems like every couple days it decides to act up, especially during the hottest point of the day around noon to early evening.

What happens is that once I past -10psi in throttle, my car goes straight to 10:1 and the car runs really crappy. But at night time, the car runs a lot better I get near perfect AFRs, even into boost.

I'll try to datalog this but have yet to have my laptop handy when it happened.

Could it could possibly be some of fuel compensations?

The motor is D16y8 with a gt28 turbo running 440cc injectors with a walbro fuel pump.

THX
Attachments
MAP_y8_6.26.10.skl
(27.98 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Richness while around -10 psi.s3d
(200.52 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Last edited by diSTiNCt on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

locash
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:27 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Post by locash » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:30 pm

It sounds like you might want to have your tuner take a look at the calibration, although I would bet it has something to do with using the wideband for closed loop..
Locash Racing, LLC
Hondata Sales and Tuning
Dynapack 4000 2wd Dyno
In-Shop CNC Machining and Product Manufacturing

diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Post by diSTiNCt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:56 pm

^ Thanks for the advice about the closed loop situation but I switched to open loop and am still having problems.

I uploaded an occurrence of the problem a few days ago. I really do not want to take it to a tuner at this moment because I want to learn how to write maps and trouble shoot. It was running great before the temperatures increased.

I have gone over the datalog and reduced the fuel in those areas but after reducing the fuel cells by 5 percent, I instead of getting a really rich area, I run dangerously lean. I tried all different fuel values and I either get a super rich or super lean reading.

Can anyone go over the datalog and calibration, is there something I am failing to recognize?

Revspeed
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:22 am

Post by Revspeed » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:10 pm

diSTiNCt wrote:^ Thanks for the advice about the closed loop situation but I switched to open loop and am still having problems.

I uploaded an occurrence of the problem a few days ago. I really do not want to take it to a tuner at this moment because I want to learn how to write maps and trouble shoot. It was running great before the temperatures increased.

I have gone over the datalog and reduced the fuel in those areas but after reducing the fuel cells by 5 percent, I instead of getting a really rich area, I run dangerously lean. I tried all different fuel values and I either get a super rich or super lean reading.

Can anyone go over the datalog and calibration, is there something I am failing to recognize?
if ur going to pratice make sure u use the lean cut protection :wink:

diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Post by diSTiNCt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:51 pm

^ Thanks for the reply. I am not a complete noob to tuning. I had previously tuned by b20vtec on crome and it ran perfect, just been trying different things with the sohc turbo and hondata for management. Do you have any recommendations for me with my calibration?

diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Post by diSTiNCt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:15 pm

I am hoping that I just figured it out. The stock o2 heater was disabled but the plug was still connected so it may have been interfering with the fueling.

Revspeed
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:22 am

Post by Revspeed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:49 am

diSTiNCt wrote:I am hoping that I just figured it out. The stock o2 heater was disabled but the plug was still connected so it may have been interfering with the fueling.
maybe closed loop can help
but ur maps look like someone used too much smoothing lol...
u need to go in and lean it out on part throttle
under full throttle if its a stock motor make sure its rich rich rich lol....

diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Post by diSTiNCt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Revspeed wrote:
diSTiNCt wrote:I am hoping that I just figured it out. The stock o2 heater was disabled but the plug was still connected so it may have been interfering with the fueling.
maybe closed loop can help
but ur maps look like someone used too much smoothing lol...
u need to go in and lean it out on part throttle
under full throttle if its a stock motor make sure its rich rich rich lol....
It seemed like after I disconnected the stock o2 it runs somewhat better but I still have the problem occasionally.

Revspeed, Lol, I dont really get your last statement. I am right around 12.8 in column 10 and am 12.3 in boost to 8psi. And additionally, aren't the maps suppose to be smooth? Call me stupid if you want, but all the maps I have written are smooth and have no jagged lines or any column crossing one another thus they have given me good driveability until this one. Jeff Schaefer clearly says it tuning articles to do so. Anyways...

Some locals have told me that it is a problem with my tip in, but I don't think so because between shifts it is fine.

Additionally, I remember reading this article: http://www.hondata.com/techpartthrottle.html and have been thinking that I may need more timing in part throttle but I just don't want to over advance.

Anyone else have ideas?

diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Post by diSTiNCt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Getting a basemap, hopefully that will clear this issue up.

If you guys have ideas or insight, still post; I'd like to learn.

diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Post by diSTiNCt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Got a different basemap, seems to be running better but I am really starting to think that Locash pointed something out to me that I failed to recognize. Since I was using the WB02 for closed up via the ELD input, I probably messed up the ELD's purpose and that could explain why my problems could be varying with temperature/voltage.
Locash, was that what you were hinting at?

alba-tuning
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 am
Location: sd california

Post by alba-tuning » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:54 am

diSTiNCt wrote:Got a different basemap, seems to be running better but I am really starting to think that Locash pointed something out to me that I failed to recognize. Since I was using the WB02 for closed up via the ELD input, I probably messed up the ELD's purpose and that could explain why my problems could be varying with temperature/voltage.
Locash, was that what you were hinting at?
You have to go under fuel and ignition compensation for air temp and adjust that bassed on target air fuel. Your wideband o2 hooked up on closed loop to the ecu will let the ecu know how much to compensate for temperate in closed. For example it can add a certain percentage of fuel as the temperatures increase or retard timing to compansate for rise in temperate. I will explain this better when im sober. :wink: :D
na is gay, turbo n spray

diSTiNCt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 am

Post by diSTiNCt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:52 am

So I figured it out, it has something to do with my ECU. I tried my buddys s300 with my tune on it and ran it for a week and it is running correctly. I have a feeling that my ECU is messing up because I removed r136 and r138, does anyone know the exact specs on these resistors so I can get some replacements?

Post Reply