Romulator problems

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
se93

Romulator problems

Post by se93 »

Hi guys:

I have never encountered problems with getting the Romulator to work until now. About 2 weeks ago we started having problems getting the Romulator to work.

We have done the following and still cannot get the romulator to work:

Tried 2 brand new in the box romulators
Followed exact installation procedure per Hondata instructions
Used the Romulator software to test the units- both of them passed
Tried 2 different P28 ecu's
Used 2 different laptops
Made sure the com ports were set properly and did not use the same com port for romulator/hondalogger
We deleted the romeditor/hondalogger .ini files
Interchanged ports/Keyspan USB adapter wires
Tested ports on both laptops
Disabled our Norton Antivirus software
Made sure the rom image was not corrupt and had all necessary options
Used a spare, brand new S200 unit will all features installed

The only thing the romulator will do is receive the file from rom editor (after hitting control w you can see the progress of the file download) but the engine will not start up. I verified the rom to make sure all was properly set and even burned the rom onto an AT29C256, installed it into both ecu's we used to test and the engine starts up with no problems.

What is causing this really annoying problem? How strange that all of a sudden we cannot get the romulator to work after countless hours of perfect operation?
shinociv

Post by shinociv »

I'll just throw out an idea. Are you doing the correct procedure to program the Romulator?

Turn the Ignition on
Program the Romulator (the red light in the s200 should be flashing slow after the programing)
Turn the Ignition off
Start the car.
se93

Post by se93 »

shinociv wrote:I'll just throw out an idea. Are you doing the correct procedure to program the Romulator?

Turn the Ignition on
Program the Romulator (the red light in the s200 should be flashing slow after the programing)
Turn the Ignition off
Start the car.
Yes, the procedure has always been done as indicated. The engine will not start and the interface box (along with the check engine light and shift light) will start to blink on and off. This happens with 2 brand new in the box romulators, 2 known good P28 ecu's, 2 good known working laptops. 2 new S200 units, a brand new interface box cable and all software configuration in proper order. We have also replaced the serial cables that connect to the Keyspan USB wires as well. I really cannot think of anything else to check. My preliminary conclusion is that i have 2 brand new romulators that are defective.

Any input will be appreciated
JKOBD

Post by JKOBD »

Mark,

When you go to settings, emulator, and confirm which COM port the romulator is in, do you get the following: Romulator 1.32 (Connected COMx)? Or do you get Romulator 00.00 (Connected COMx)?
whoojong

Post by whoojong »

are you sure you have the red side towards the wiring harness? it's simple but i overlook it all the time.
se93

Post by se93 »

JKOBD wrote:Mark,

When you go to settings, emulator, and confirm which COM port the romulator is in, do you get the following: Romulator 1.32 (Connected COMx)? Or do you get Romulator 00.00 (Connected COMx)?
It will display "Romulator 1.32 or 1.4 (connected). What is strange is that if i remove the com port or change the com port settings, the rom editor software will display "connected" when in fact its not.

I would also like to point out that one of the 2 laptops we use was shipped back to Gateway for a modem replacement and the techs found that the com ports also had problems. I have since tried to connect the romulator to the other laptop we have here and have the same problems. I don't understand but i may have bad com ports as well with the laptop we have here now.

It confuses me as i have absolutely no clue as to how the com ports went bad on a 6 month old Gateway laptop and possibly have the same problem with our other laptop. Both laptops were operating perfectly.

Mark
se93

Post by se93 »

whoojong wrote:are you sure you have the red side towards the wiring harness? it's simple but i overlook it all the time.
Yes, we made sure of that.
DevineCRX

Post by DevineCRX »

We are experiencing the exact same problem. If we try to use the romulator, we will get a solid check engine light and the hondata LED will start flashing. But once we put a chip in the ECU, it works perfectly. Hopefully someone knows whats the problem.
se93

Post by se93 »

DevineCRX wrote:We are experiencing the exact same problem. If we try to use the romulator, we will get a solid check engine light and the hondata LED will start flashing. But once we put a chip in the ECU, it works perfectly. Hopefully someone knows whats the problem.
DevineCRX:

Did you manage to find out what was going on with your Romulator? Just curious as we still haven't found out what is going on.