USB issues with 3.1.2

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
The Spectacle

USB issues with 3.1.2

Post by The Spectacle »

I just upgraded my softare to 3.1.2. and I'm having major USB connection issues. As soon as I plug in the USB cable with the ignition on, the Windows hourglass/spinning symbol comes up and never goes away. The program starts to run sluggish somewhat and I cannot upload a calibration to the ECU without it failing. I tried the "Test USB function", but that fails every single time with an error. Kmanager can read the ECU and is returning data in the Kpro tab, and it does say "Driver Installed" in the bottom left corner. Here is what I have tried so far:

- Two different laptops. One laptop is an Asus has dual boots of Win 7 and Win 8 on it. Also tried a Mac running Win 7 in Boot Camp. All three builds exhibit the exact same behavior
- Tried completely uninstalling the Kpro drivers in the Device Manager. Was able to get Kmanager to NOT connect to the ECU when plugging in the USB, but "Drivers Installed" always showed displayed
- Tried all the USB ports on both computers, same results

My Kpro ver III ECU is running 3.01 firmware. After about an hour of different combinations, I was able to get Kmanager to successfully upload a new calibration by opening Kmanager, loading the new calibration, turning on the ignition, then plugging in the USB cable and immediately hitting upload. Any deviation from that sequence will bring up the spinning hourglass and any attempts to upload will fail, but even executing that sequence has about a 50% failure rate. Sometimes it will look like its uploading then the progress bar will freeze and the frame rate of the animation progress will slow down to almost nonexistant. I have narrowed it down to a USB problem due to Kmanager running 100% fine until the ECU is plugged into it. I did not have this problem with 3.0.3 on either of the laptops with any of the Windows builds. It started when I upgraded to 3.1.2.

I also have no antivirus software on any of the Windows builds.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: USB issues with 3.1.2

Post by Spunkster »

What other processes are running in the task manager?
The Spectacle

Post by The Spectacle »

Hopefully this helps. The upload actually worked but it took almost 4 mins. The spinning "I'm thinking" cursor is still there as soon as I plug in the USB.
Attachments
3.1.2 USB problem.png
3.1.2 USB problem.png (255.72 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
The Spectacle

Post by The Spectacle »

Any help on this? Any ideas on what I can try? Any other info you need me to provide?

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I've seen this is another device is plugged into the laptop using a FTDI USB chip, so make sure nothing else is plugged in.

Can you get the USB driver version and dates from the device manager? They may have been overwritten by other software.
Hondata
wanaboostdc2

Post by wanaboostdc2 »

I'm having similar problem. I can upload calibrations but as soon as I turn my car on my computer wont stay connected with my ECU.
My driver version is 2.4.6.0.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

wanaboostdc2 wrote:I'm having similar problem. I can upload calibrations but as soon as I turn my car on my computer wont stay connected with my ECU.
My driver version is 2.4.6.0.
http://www.hondata.com/techksparkplugs.html
The Spectacle

Post by The Spectacle »

Update on this. I reinstalled Windows 8 on my laptop and installed the 3.2.0 beta and everything is now working as intended. The only other change I made was to make sure the USB wireless mouse transciever was unplugged that I use on the laptop. I wish I could narrow down exactly what the issue was, but I'm happy that it is now working as intended.