Beginning tuning without access to a dyno

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

2008civicsi

Beginning tuning without access to a dyno

Post by 2008civicsi »

2008 Honda Civic Si, Injen SRI, everything else stock.

Hondata says "dyno tuning recommended" ... but is it possible to safely (taking small steps/making small changes) to tune my civic si using datalogging?

I ordered the FlshPro for that reason... but I didn't find any sections in the help for 'non-dyno tuning recommendations'.

Can someone make a list of where to start tuning?

For example: 1. start with fuel tuning... but when it comes to locking the cams at the 0,15,30,40,50... do I lock it and do a datalog, then come back and do analysis and changes?

My question is, what am I able to tune safely without a dyno? (a simple list will help immensely)
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Beginning tuning without access to a dyno

Post by Spunkster »

Without a dyno you will not be able to acurately measure the power changes.
2008civicsi

Post by 2008civicsi »

so there's nothing I could do?

Can I buy something to plug in and check power of the changes I made?
curtusz

Post by curtusz »

use virtual dyno (windows program) http://www.virtualdyno.net/ its quite accurate if set up right it uses your logs and creates print outs .... but nothing beats the real deal .... as for tuning concerned http://pencomputing.com/rsx/ and hondatas tutorials http://www.hondata.com/techk-protraining.html
2008civicsi

Post by 2008civicsi »

thanks. that helps.
DatLife84

Post by DatLife84 »

Without a dyno you will not be able to accurately retune the intake cams. You have to be a very experienced tuner to fully street tune the car.
curtusz

Post by curtusz »

So how do u tune just the intake cam? as far as I know your can alter the angles of low cam and high high cam from 0-50 degrees not separately intake and exhaust or am I missing something?
curtusz

Post by curtusz »

For me kmanager is a piece of cake for street tuning its just log after log after edit edit edit.... Very time consuming without a dyno, After what u get is no knock and nice linear a/f and your safe as houses... It will do you till you want a dyno or saved up the brass
tkane4389

Post by tkane4389 »

curtusz wrote:For me kmanager is a piece of cake for street tuning its just log after log after edit edit edit.... Very time consuming without a dyno, After what u get is no knock and nice linear a/f and your safe as houses... It will do you till you want a dyno or saved up the brass
Exactly right. I think you can vouch for my tuning from the work of mine you've seen. My calibration was on a dyno and Aaron's was street tuned. A quality street tune can net you 90% of a dyno tune with ease. There are examples where aftermarket internal parts come into play that are a different story, and following standard tuning procedures doesnt bring the same results. Stock internals are easy to work with because of the vast use.